Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Papaw's 40 Ford Whack-a-mole

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slack, Jul 17, 2019.

1. slack

slack

FINALLY!! got that bastard rolling. This project started in July of 2017. The car had been sitting a while and had an inch of dust on it. I inherited the problem because my father-in-law's brother had gotten infirmed. He was the mechanic of the family and a whizz from what I understand. Anyway, the old Ford had a firing issue so I rebuilt the dizzy, replaced the worst wires I've ever seen, and rewired the solenoid that his brother had started. THEN one of the water pumps was locked up. I got those from Van Pelts and changed them out. THEN the radiator was leaking so I took that out and had it repaired (4 holes). THEN when he tried to back it out of the garage, the wheels were locked up tighter than Dick's hatband. So I jacked up each wheel, took the tire off and love tapped the drums with a machinist hammer until they relented. When he finally got to back it out you could see his demeanor change. He instantly appeared younger, sprooty even. His daughter and he washed it while I muttered because as I understood it, it was time for a shakedown cruise and not the time for cosmetic crap. Then down the road, they went. It was a special moment and one I won't soon forget. You see Papaw has recently been diagnosed with dementia. A special thanks to those who contributed technical input on this old classic. I certainly appreciate it. Thanks-Slack IMG_3201_LI.jpg IMG_3201_LI.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    alanp561, hotrodharry2, Tim and 19 others like this.
  2. Rckt98

Rckt98

Beautiful car. Dementia is a bastard. I have a brother in law diagnosed when he was 58, now in a rest home.

slack, lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  3. loudbang

loudbang

Good on you bringing back some good memories for him.

4. slack

slack

Yeah. And I love my father-in-law. He is a great guy from the "greatest generation" era (as are a lot of HAMB folk). I hate it with a passion because I am in the medical field and know about the progression of the disease. :(

5. Good for you. The '40 is looking great.:)

6. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Nice work and good deed you did there Slack!

7. chargin03

chargin03

Very nice.

slack and loudbang like this.
  8. brady1929

brady1929

Great job. It's beautiful.

9. Probably nothing like the big grin he has.

slack, loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. Good job, nothing like seeing the sparkle in the eyes of someone you love and know that you have made there day, as you father-in-law's dementia progresses in the week's & moth's to come this time will stand out in your mind.

Congratulations on getting the car back on the road where it belongs. HRP

slack and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Having you'all around will make a real difference for him. Keep lovin on him. Most of us will get there oneday.

12. You've helped in restoring the memory of a more pleasant time in his life.
    Good job, Sir!
    That's a beautiful 40. Any more pics of the interior?

13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Slack; ya didn't "slack" on this one! Makes me feel good too!!

14. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

Great job, if you get over this way, stop in. Or P M me you address. I get up your way from time to time.

loudbang likes this.
  15. slack

slack

He's done more for me than I can ever repay.

loudbang, kidcampbell71 and Rickybop like this.
  16. belair

belair

good man

loudbang and slack like this.
  17. 4tford

4tford

Good deeds usually get rewarded down the road.

18. slack

slack

Not now but I'll get some and post later
    You know it. When they (his daughter and him) came back down the driveway, they were both grinnin like possums (grinning like opossums?)
    . It ain't no show car but it certainly has its charm.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  19. slack

slack

As I mentioned in an earlier post, he has already done more for me than I can ever repay.

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome, slack!
    Add you to the list of hamb members getting cars going for the very senior fellas to enjoy a little bit more.
    Much respect, sir.
    Bless your father-in-law.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. slack

slack

It is with a sad and heavy heart that I report, Papaw is on his way out. We put on a grand, surprise, 80th birthday party for him on the 22nd. He was in rare form, cutting up with friends he hadn't seen in years. Such things normally bore me to tears but I found this fascinating to observe. Then, as if it were planned, he had an aneurysm the next day. We were told by the neurologist he would never get better. He made his wishes known prior and they are being honored so now the death vigil.
    I loathed working on that old Ford, mostly because of the humidity and extreme heat (I carried two extra shirts per day) but when I look back, we were making memories and they are too few and extremely precious. Just one (I promise), I was prying off the left water pump with a large Craftsman screwdriver that belonged to my daddy. My son and I named it "Big Nasty" (because the urethane handle is embedded with grease). I was talking to it while I was prying (I know o_O) saying: "Come on, Big Nasty, you got this!" and when it gave way, I heard a noise behind me. There stood Papaw grinning like a mule. For some fool reason, I started to explain, then just stopped mid-sentence and went on about my rat-killin. Seeing something like that is like sighting a rare bird. It wasn't easy to coax a grin from the man, stoic as he is. He isn't even dead and "people" are approaching and inquiring as to his earthly possessions. I have never understood that "vulture" way of thinking. It is nothing less than evil. I'm sure gonna miss him and I'm not alone. I saw a sign in the hospice that said: "We are all just walking each other home." Damned if that ain't the truth.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  22. loudbang

loudbang

23. Sorry to hear about the progression of this insidious disease,
    But you may be Slack by name but definitely not by nature

chryslerfan55, slack and loudbang like this.
  24. Rckt98

Rckt98

Sad to hear, but really a blessing. Don't they call Dementia "the longest goodbye".

25. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Slack, So many great works you have done. In all sincerity, there has to be so many great memories!

26. Budget36

Budget36

Sorry to hear the news. Best wishes to you and yours.

Happened to me the day my Dad was buried. After the get together at my moms place, 3 or 4 of his "friends" were saying "Nat said I could have this "xxxx" I was always to busy to come get it". Not the right time or place I was thinking. My reply was "well, you knew my Dad, time to get it was when he gave it to you".

27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Sorry to hear it man. But from the sounds of it he got to drive down the road with his daughter in his shiny black ford gleaming in the sun.He knew his family would be taken care of, and he got to see a ton of friendly faces and actually recall who they were.

In the face of such a brutal disease that’s a pretty good way to sign out.

Glad you got the memories you did, sorry you won’t have more :(

28. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Add my heartfelt condolences. Father in law went through the dementia progression. I agree with " culture mentality". Some only think of themselves.

slack and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story, car and tribute !

30. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So sorry, Slack.
    Sorry about Papaw.
    Sorry about the stupid people with their claws out. I've experienced this. They should wait to be asked.
    It all brings a tear.
    But I'm so happy for you that you were able to make memories. And that you had a wonderful and fitting get-together with Papaw, family and friends.
    God bless your family.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app