Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Neutral Saftey Switch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 23, 2019.

1. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 56 Ford is neutral only stock. Sticks from the past need one on the clutch pedal like modern cars.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and Stogy like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:...is that a subtle way of saying No Neutral Safety John?...Very Bad...it truly is a good idea...and well justified...

3. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

NO, I was trying to be cool and just use letters without writing it out, my spelling sux but I am smart enough to use a neutral safety switch.

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good on You John...;)

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  5. I was getting worried about John, that car doesn't look like any corners have been cut. HRP

[​IMG]

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When did NSS appear and it's obvious why they came to be...Death and Injury...

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Always on autos, rarely on sticks. I used to ride a lot so I'm used to no NSS on vehicles with clutches. I did wire my 34 to start only in reverse and I park it in a 1st so you cant reach in and hit the button. My truck has a NSS on the trans. I do have a nice dent in my coke machine from 35 years ago when I started my 36 5 window in gear (auto) and it ran backward a couple of feet. Those bumpers were surprisingly tough, no damage as I recall. :cool:

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yep, anyone that paints their grill insert RED is ok in my book!

9. So hydraulic clutch- can you use a brake light switch in the system? Step on clutch, circuit closed?
    Manual clutch use an under floor (for old pedals) brake light mechanical switch?

10. I've heard of the brake light switch being used. HRP

3W JOHN and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Run voltage or a ground signal from the brake switch to a relay. Relay will allow for proper amperage to go to starter solenoid. Brake switch alone will heat up and burn out quickly other wise.

12. Greenhorn......who starts a car around a Corvette or 32 without a foot on the brake.....geez.........

13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another issue with using a brake pressure switch as a NSS is that the brake switch is designed to require very little pressure to activate (that's good for brake lights) but a hyd clutch takes a bit more pressure to disengage. The result is the car will still start before the clutch pedal is in far enough to do any good, just food for thought.

And for dessert, if you ever read a post about failing brake light switches, just imagine the nightmares of having one in line on the ignition circuit.

14. From what I have been able to find, most production vehicles have had a neutral safety switch as early as the late 1950's, their use on manual transmissions was mandated by the SFI Foundation and became commonplace in the early 1980's on all production vehicles. HRP

3W JOHN and Stogy like this.
  15. I received this photo in a e-mail from a fellow club member this morning, I'm unsure if this is the actual car since I wasn't there but I do know the car I am familiar with is indeed blue, this is sickening!

There is no excuse for bone head stupidity. :mad: HRP

dead vette.jpg

16. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

That was an expensive bonehead mistake! Maybe I shouldn't call it a "mistake" it was a dumb choice to not have a working NSS!

17. No doubt about it, it ain't going to be a cheap fix, I'm not a Corvette guy but that makes me sick. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I learned my lesson. Squished my brother's legs between our bumpers when he was giving me a jump. Kind of a flashback to earlier years still... when he caught his foot in my bicycle spokes. No bad damage either time, but son of a bitch...

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. That could have gone horribly wrong. HRP

Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 3W JOHN like this.
  20. That car is fucked and the incident was completely avoidable. The best word in the English language for running without a NSS is repugnant.

Need a better grasp on the definition ?
    E6076434-21FE-4781-A71B-F254C3953402.png

21. I was told the gentleman that owns the Corvette has owned it since it was new. HRP

22. I kinda want to puke for the guy

23. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Danny, is that the corvette the man that has the insurance company beside Brenda's old shop?

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  24. Scumdog

Scumdog

And watch your wiring knowledge is up to scratch - I unintentionally through ignorance wired the back-up light circuit in a T-bar Mustang shifter into the NSS, in effect it meant when in reverse the NSS was by-passed.

One day I did the dumb thing of starting the car while standing outside it and found out the hard ($$) way that it would start while in reverse, one bent door and wrecked custom paint job it cost me.

As they say: A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

25. No sir, that would be Mark and he also has a 63 split window but his is red. HRP

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    3W JOHN and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Mine didn’t have one with the Chevy transmission, but when I changed it to a Ford AOD the switch is built into the trans, real easy to hook up. Backup lights work on the same switch, separate wires for those. Don’t know what activates it inside the trans, probably the detent comb, switch bolts in.

27. Straight Axle Guy

Straight Axle Guy

You can't fix stupid!

3W JOHN and 31Vicky with a hemi like this.
  28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

29. D55EF741-D2A0-49E4-83DA-207C2B401590.jpeg

I’ve said this a few times before
    519CB972-0486-4B01-B4D7-C4FF27537807.jpeg

30. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 67 Camaro (long gone) had a switch on the clutch; it had to be depressed to work the starter and was factory. I'm working on installing similar on my 40 using a brake light switch and relay.