Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How to restore a metal info tag???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cederholm, Sep 25, 2019.

1. cederholm

cederholm

So I picked a heater here on the HAMB because it was made in Brooklyn NY. I plan to restore it for my coupe and the tag on the front is important to retain.

As you can see from the photo, the tag is heavily pitted. Some of the letter are raised and some are recessed.

Any advice on restoring and painting it?

Thanks,
    Carl

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Not off hand but it is cool looking. Any idea what it’s made out of?

cederholm likes this.
  3. cederholm

cederholm

Cast aluminum maybe? I haven't removed it from that steel part yet. After I do I'll stick a magnet on it.

4. Just a thought- use a filler primer on the whole thing and carefully sand/fill the painted areas. Then simply wet sand the raised areas until the pits are gone- you should have enough material, but be careful on the letters.

cederholm and HOTRODPRIMER like this.

5. BJR

BJR

I would clean it really well and spray paint it with the color you want for the back ground. Then just sand the top using a block until all the pits are gone from the raised parts. Then go to really fine grit paper and you're done. Or maybe then clear the whole thing.

kidcampbell71 and cederholm like this.
  6. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Wow I don't see an easy answer to that one.

Filler primer, spot putty, are things I would try but either would take lots of sanding. Although the spot putty would be the fastest way to fill and more control on where it goes.

If it were mine I'd do just a bit of filler primer, some sanding but nothing major and paint it, probably look like hammer tone paint and besides the badge tells a story right now :)

kidcampbell71 and cederholm like this.
  7. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it were mine I would hit it with one of those wire brush attachments on a dremel. It would give it a killer patina and add some depth to it. I did the same to this except I shot it with some black enamel first.
    IMG_3975.jpg

cederholm likes this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

Use a small cutoff disk to remove the rivets from the backside. If that is a thin stamped aluminum you could burn through the material quickly if you slip when grinding the rivets.

I personally would paint the indented areas with a sign paint like One-Shot. Then sand the high parts with a fine sandpaper like 800. It will never be perfect, but the 800 would smooth the top surface enough to make it kinda shiney.

cederholm likes this.
  9. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FYI- here is what it probably looked like originally.
    hotwave.jpg

10. cederholm

cederholm

Awesome! ...thanks for that.