Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs A Tiara for a '55 Ford (Or - Okay, Rocky and 54DelRey, you asked for it...)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Yutan Flash, Sep 22, 2019.

1. So I was walking around the Fremont Swap Meet this morning and ran into a few good long-time friends and fellow HAMBers. "Hey, did you see there's some roof trim and parts for a '56 Crown Victoria at..." "No - where is it?" Well, the next thing I know I'm schlepping around a piece of stainless steel as big as a small car bumper, with no real reason for it. You see, I have a '55 Ford 2-door hardtop - the one with a tall roof, not a low, sleek roof like a Crown or a '56 Ford hardtop. "So," Rocky says to me, "will it fit your roof?" "Well, let me take it home and I'll put up a picture for you to see." Well, it fits, but I'm not too crazy about the look of it, unless I cut out the front half of the roof and find a plexiglass insert a'la '54-'55 Sun Valley/Skyliner or trim it back to fit above the drip rail. I know people have built cars around one part - maybe I should find the rest of a Crown to put it on? IMG_2763.JPG IMG_2764.JPG IMG_2766.JPG

2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Yeah, the roofline is a touch different on the '55 hardtops, compared to the Crown Victoria, the '55 Crown shares the '56 hardtop roofline.

loudbang likes this.
  3. I thought it might look cool but it's really outta place on the 55. Nothing ventured.....................

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Patience but a little nip and tuck, a little bit of hammering, bit of welding and spit and polish and your golden.:D

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Paint the whole car and back half of roof a pretty shade of red and paint the front part of roof black. Might look okay.

6. I love the look of the 55 Ford hardtop and they are hard to find in my area, for every 1 hardtop I see 10 Crown's. The 55 top is a one year only and makes such a good base for a mild custom, always thought the crown was tacky with the big bump of trim on the top. I also might have a soft spot for the hardtop as my grandfathers first car a 55 hardtop.

56don, chryslerfan55 and low budget like this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Plexiglass tops are listed for sale in the Crown Victoria Owners Association ( you don’t need a CV) monthly publication FOMOCO Times. Lots of other parts too... I like your thinking.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  8. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I would come closer to deleting that piece of trim on a car that had one rather than adding one.
    Looks like a womens hair band.
    Sorry just my .02

Taboo56Chevy likes this.
  9. If you look closer at the photo from the passenger rear you'll be able to see my CVA member decal - Continuous member #1275 since 1987, and should have joined when I got the car in '81!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. Nothing to be sorry about. Had to slap it on there just to see what it'd look like.

chryslerfan55 and low budget like this.
  11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Do you think it would fit my Caprice? Never mind. At one time didn`t @54delray have a 54 Merc plexi -glass insert.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  12. Pretty sure they were optional on the Caprices.

13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Maybe scrounge up a set of the B pillar stainless and see what that looks like?

14. The B-pillar stainless would require lengthening to hit the belt line to the tune of around a couple of inches give or take. And with the potential blind spot it'd create, I think it'd add insult to injury.

15. Your roof's flatter. I don't think it'd be very flattering.

16. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

17. chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Here you go. Move the trim ahead a hair and roll down the window. Should look better. 2019-09-26_234755.jpg

19. To quote Groucho Marx..."Close, but no cigar".

20. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER