Register now to get rid of these ads!
Auctions

1939 WILLYS COUPE AND 1948 ANGLIA - REAL 60'S GASSERS - 100 TROPHIES - DOCUMENTED HISTORY

Discussion in 'Cars For Sale' started by ironandsteele, Jul 5, 2019.

1. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

City: portland

State: Oregon
    Price: Keeping
    NO LONGER AVAILABLE - KEEPING

Here is a rare opportunity to own some incredible pieces of history from the gasser craze of the 1960's. You can read the story at https://ironandsteele.com/ but here is the abbreviated version:

Both cars were built and raced by Erwin Von Homeyer in the Pacific Northwest during the 1960's. These cars were very dominant, each running a 286CI flathead that was built by Bing's Speed Shop, most recently in the Anglia, which is where it still lives today. These cars were very well known and feared in the Northwest. They won a lot of races. I suggest you read the article to gain a better understanding of the cars' history during that period. Both were parked in a garage in the late 1960's and left, untouched, for more than 30 years when the building they were in was sold. The cars were removed and sold off, to different owners. It would be another 20 years before they would be reunited by Robbie Davis, of Fairview, Oregon. Again, read the story, but the gist of it is that Robbie painstakingly tracked both cars and their history, was able to purchase both and put them back to running order and race ready. He also found and befriended Erwin, the original owner/builder/racer, who he had originally been told had passed away. Robbie ended up caring for Erwin in the final few years of his life and along the way, recovered around 100 trophies, and lots of other neat things like pit passes, time slips, drag strip jackets, etc. associated with the cars from Erwin himself.

Read more of the story: https://ironandsteele.com/

These cars were also featured in Hot Rod Deluxe Magazine in May 2014

Included in this sale is:

-1939 Willys Coupe. 100% steel. It is running a 383CI small block with Airflow Research heads, Liberty 4 speed and Olds rear end. It is completely race ready and runs hard, reliably. It drives very nicely and tracks as straight as an arrow. This car could be street driven, it is very well mannered. It also does wheel stands off the line and is an incredibly well rounded race car that is still winning a lot of races. It is fully caged and has a nice interior done in blue Zodiac. The body itself wears the paint applied in 1962, along with the original decals and numbers, etc. The original nose was repainted and lettered to exactly match the rest of the car as the paint on it was too far gone to clean up when found. It presents really well and is a nice looking race car with an honest amount of wear that cannot be duplicated. It is the real deal.

-1948 Anglia. Steel bodied, glass nose. This car runs a 286CI flathead Ford that was built by Bing's Speed Shop in 1961 (and subsequently freshened up around 2010) This motor was originally ran in The Bing's Speed Shop 1941 Willys Coupe that dominated the F/Gas class at strips all over California in 1962. This was a well documented winner and was featured In November 1962 Hot Rod Magazine. The engine from that car was purchased by Erwin Von Homeyer, from Ed Binggeli and installed first in Erwin's Willys. He cleaned house for a couple of years with that combination, then in the mid 1960's, in a quest for even faster times, he installed the drivetrain from the Willys into the '48 Anglia he had purchased (and painted to match). That Bing's motor, 3 speed and narrowed '40 Ford rear end have been in the Anglia ever since. This car is unlike any other Anglia out there. The Bing's flathead sounds like nothing you've ever heard before. It is a fire-breathing, ground-shaking thing that makes a sound that you would never associate with a flathead.. Even at an idle, you get a very clear understanding of how powerful it is. It is indescribable. By the time Robbie was able to get his hands on this one, it had been repainted. Using the Willys for the color and old photos for reference, he had the car repainted and the lettering exactly replicated. It looks exactly as it did when first constructed and runs hard.

-Approximately 90-100 trophies, all from the 1960's and all won by Erwin and his racing partners, his cousins, Hans and Carl. A lot of them have the date, ET and MPH hand written on the bottom.

-Misc. memorabilia including: Photos of the era of both cars, photos of Erwin, of his business and associated vehicles, newspaper clippings of features about him and the Willys, time slips, pit passes, two drag strip champion jackets and other misc. trinkets. All from the 1960's when these cars were originally raced.

Both of these cars are as good as it gets. This is real history, the type that does not come up for sale very often.

There are thousands of details and subtleties about these cars that are best described in person or over the phone, rather than listed here. I suggest that seriously interested and qualified potential buyers start by calling me:

Five O three – three 4 eight – seven 1 three four

Go to: https://ironandsteele.com/ to read “Erwin's Revenge” and learn more about them. Then call the number listed above. The owner of these time capsules is my close friend. He is less internet-savvy and has asked for some help advertising them. He is also uninterested in dealing with a whole lot of BS, therefore, you'll be starting with me (number listed above) in this process. That said, I have spent a lot of time with these cars over the last ten years or so. I've had my hands all over them and my butt in the driver's seat of both many times – I know them very well and can answer most questions you may have I'm sure. I also have access to them at any time if you want photos of something specific.

These cars are for sale locally and advertised elsewhere.

This is a package, will not split the cars or memorabilia. Please contact me only if you are in a position to be a real buyer of these pieces of history. It will take just the right guy, I am aware, but what an opportunity..

HOMEYERKLEET7.JPG
    HOMEYERKLEET5.JPG
    HOMEYERKLEET6.JPG
    HOMEYERKLEET3.JPG
    HOMEYERKLEET1.JPG

HOMEYERKLEET2.JPG
    HOMEYERKLEET9.JPG
    HOMEYERKLEET8.JPG
    homeyernag.jpg
    HOMEYERMUSEUM.JPG
    HOMEYERFOUND2.jpg
    HOMEYERFOUND4ANGLIA.jpg