Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects DRAG SNAKE "Vintage Terror!"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lol. Sorry for the delay man. It is coming!

Sent from my SM-G970U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55, alchemy and loudbang like this.
  2. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So during the fire up festivities one of my friends handed me an envelope full of old decals. His Dad had been a car guy from way back and he had been going through some of things and found them. He said he really didn't know what to do with them but figured I would. Check these old transfer style decals...

Resized_20190909_190229.jpeg

Resized_20190909_190217.jpeg

Resized_20190909_190147.jpeg

Resized_20190909_190200.jpeg

Resized_20190909_190048.jpeg

Resized_20190909_190031.jpeg

Resized_20190909_190018.jpeg

Resized_20190909_185956.jpeg

enloe, porkshop, swade41 and 10 others like this.
  3. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

loudbang, Deuced Up! and Muttley like this.
  4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Those are some of the nicest original water slides I have ever seen.

5. Muttley

Muttley

Great score, never seen that Muncie Dragway decal.

6. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

So, when is the first track day party? :)

enloe, loudbang and Deuced Up! like this.
  8. Those are going to look real cool stuck all over the Cobra.

enloe and loudbang like this.
  9. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Just wondering how you're going resolve the radiator leak?
    Man ild be pissed if my brand new big $ radiator had a leak from the get go!

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

enloe, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  10. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a good question. Honestly I have not given it much thought. We were so excited the stupid thing ran that short of a nuclear meltdown of some kind nothing really phased us.

James' pinch job slowed it to a crawl. I am going to get a good close up photo and text my radiator guy and see what he says. I thought about trying some Devcon.

Eitherway the last thing I want is a quick fix that springs back to life in the staging lanes.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  11. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

So you're just going to bite the bullet and fix it yourself? not going to try to contact the seller just to see what they say?

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  12. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep. Happens when you gather parts for a project. I bought the radiator over 18 months ago. So...

13. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Yeah warrenties and returns are pretty much a lost cause after a year , Hell sometimes even after a month! Larry

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  14. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not a lot to report from the weekend as we spent the entire day, Saturday, working an inaugural car show that I have been sitting on the board etc. I did spend a bit of time in the shop this afternoon. I set out to bleed the brakes. I fought for a while with brakelines and lost and then just hung it up. I have a tunning session tomorrow afternoon over the internet and will need to get the car closer to my wireless router so I went a head and put the wheels back on it ready to push it out.

I did spend a bit of time on the fuel cap. After finally getting it all in place the day we fired it I found it was not going to open with out the back of the cap hitting the deck area. So I fabricated an aluminum washer to lift the entire unit about 3/16" off the deck. Worked pretty slick!

15. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did have a bit of inspiration yesterday in the shop. Just to give you a bit of back story, at this point we have no neutral safety switch. I was fairly surprised to find out the Tremec does not have one built in to it. There is a plug to electronically communicate with a speedometer. It has a plug that must be connected to a brake light switch to electronically unlock reverse. It even communicates with the back up lights electronically. However if you want an extremely vital neutral safety switch you must do the old fashioned way, with a switch on the clutch pedal.

Now I am an not even sure the Tilton clutch pedal has a place to install a switch not mention the time for that would have been several months ago when it was still able to sit on the work bench. However while installing the last bit of brake line yesterday which included a pressure switch for the brake lights it hit me. Why not simply install the same switch in the hydraulic line from the clutch mastercylinder! ...and POOF...we have ourselves a neutral safety switch! LOL

brake switch.jpg

enloe, Sancho, chryslerfan55 and 5 others like this.
  16. VI Lonewolf

VI Lonewolf

I did the same but it "deactivates" with very little clutch pedal travel. Maybe within 1/4" of movement. Didn't work as planned.

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

They are also known not to be very dependable.

18. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

COOL COOL COOL!!!

loudbang likes this.
  20. loudbang

loudbang

What is that that is under the cowl, just in front of the steering wheel, between the engine and firewall that has lights flashing or sparking?

enloe, 1947knuck, Nostrebor and 2 others like this.
  21. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is the FAST unit doing its thing. We removed the cool, louvered cover for the tuning session so we could keep an eye on it.

Sancho, Thor1, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  22. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am going to take just a moment here for retrospect. Many of you guys here on the HAMB understand what building something from scratch means. It is one thing to restore or modify an old car into a hot rod. But something altogether different to just stare a few lines drawn on the shop floor and start from there. I mean most cars already have doors that usually swing open and close. That is because someone engineered the hinges in the door post for that duty. In the latter, you don't even have a door post! LOL

It is trial and error over and over again as the best laid plans of mice of men have to be extremely flexible. AND in many cases, you get to the last step of a given process and find there is something in the way of the final placement of a bracket or device etc. AND then you find to change that one placement means changing the 10 other parts and pieces that came before it, or worse.

This build has been quite a journey. Honestly it is a bit mind boggling to sit there and watch the car idling in the shop and think about the 1000 plus little steps it took to simply get this far. It is certainly gratifying at some level. I am not sure, however, if I would recommend it to anybody. Honestly knowing what I know now of the journey I would probably not take it on myself. But we are too deep now and too close to the finish to toss in the towel.

If things go right this weekend, we will probably take it for a spin around the block. We have yet to bleed the brakes and the clutch but I now have all the necessary hardware to get that job finished. We are struggling with the accelerator cable a bit but I am sure we will overcome that issue. The first trip around the block in the Austin we didn't even have an accelerator cable. We just idled it down the driveway and off we went! LOL

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  23. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was sitting in my office today...staring at the clock...same as every Friday afternoon! LOL

And it occurred to me that I couldn't make it move any faster, but I could certainly make it more pleasurable to look at!

Resized_20190927_140025.jpeg

Resized_20190927_140033.jpeg
    I measured the face, fixed the art to fit it and shot it upstairs to be printed. A few minutes later, bam! Now that is clock I enjoying watching! LMAO

24. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I built a glass 41 Willys. I know what you mean about creating and changing locations and getting non specific parts to all work together. Working with a old car with everything in place and workable is much easier. Sorry about your problems with the injection idle. I am not surprised. It's from Borla. I have had my own bad experiences with that brand.

25. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually maybe I led you all to believe there is an issue. But as of right now the car is bad ass perfect. The tuner original said there is no way it would idle but for whatever reason he was incorrect. It idles nicely, starts easy, sounds good, no popping back through the stacks etc. He was very happy at the end of the session saying he could not believe how tuneable the car really was, that had simply not been his experience. I am pretty excited to take her for spin. We have a front end alignment set up for next week by one of the top Drag Racers in the area (and die hard FORD Man) who runs a tire shop in his spare time? LOL

26. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Idles well cause Salty gave it the Morton touch :D:D:D

27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

28. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Ah man more talk about the Chevy guy making the Ford run !:rolleyes: Okay James now the real test, Lay hands on Jacksons Mopar and make it trouble free for 2months! ;) lol I Double dare ya!;) Larry

29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I,m not a chevy guy, I just like engines ;)

30. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Hey Larry I had tricky Steve trying to find the miss at an idle tonight he kept telling me you got a couple cylinders laying out I told him it just idles crappy and when I stand on it it will haul ass he didn’t really believe me till I stood on it and it launched like a rocket but by all means James I’m open for any help I can get

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app