Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical GM Points Distributors, Aluminum vs Iron...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Elcohaulic, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I was wondering if one distributor was better then the other. I am looking for a nice single points distributor for my 454. I plan on running an old CD box. I read or heard that the iron distributors were better...

Thank you..

2. squirrel

squirrel

They went to aluminum to save money some time in the early 60s, afaik.

I think there are more important attributes to what is a good distributor, besides what it's made of. Not being worn out, proper advance curve, and having good points and condenser in it, would be pretty high up on my list.

Also they used the cast iron type through 1974 on corvettes, as it had cable tach drive. These were available in both point or transistor styles.

j-jock, Elcohaulic and Deuces like this.
  3. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Aluminum tends to adhere to the block more so than the steel ones. This of coarse is over long periods of time.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

That's a problem with some of the later Ford engines...Chevys, not so much.

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Grumpy liked the cast iron ones and would epoxy the breaker plate down so it wouldn't move.

6. BJR

BJR

Try getting the distributor out of a 472 or 500 Cad that has been sitting a long time. Not fun.

7. saltracer219

saltracer219

Either type will be just fine, they both share the same internals the only real difference is the housing material.

8. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

I've disassembled a few big Cadillacs,and I'm under 50% survival rate on distributors

9. squirrel

squirrel

Chevys are not like those Caddys, the distributor does not fit tightly in the hole except down where there's plety of oil....and they never made an iron distributor for Caddys, so it doesn't matter, does it? :)

firstinsteele likes this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

11. The older cast iron distributors were better for setting up advance curves than the later big cap HEI type. Also by using a MSD box on the older distributor could get a hotter spark than HEI .

Elcohaulic likes this.
  12. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I have a 65 Corvette iron one that hasn't been run since a recurve, collecting dust

Elcohaulic likes this.
  13. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

That's my plan Hank.. They are much easier to set then the HEI. I have an old CD box I might try but will probably end up with the MSD6AL..

cd ignition 1.JPG

Hank37 likes this.