Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Old Cars + Surfing = Paradise

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Old Cars + Surfing = Paradise

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

LOU WELLS, mgtstumpy, jnaki and 8 others like this.
  2. That guy riding on the hood. Can't even ride in a truck bed anymore without getting a ticket. Man how times have changed.

chryslerfan55 and dana barlow like this.
  3. wvenfield

wvenfield

Simpler time. My buddy got nailed yesterday for not wearing his seat belt. He has been driving his 62 Cadillac for awhile and not used to wearing his belt. Cost him $125. I recall squeezing 4 people into a truck because it was too cold to ride in the back. Not today.

I'd hate to see the fine for pushing your car over the side of a hill and leaving it today. Not that it was a wise thing to do. LOL

chryslerfan55 and dana barlow like this.
  4. boy_named_sue

boy_named_sue
    from Dayton, OH

Bahahaha oh man, love love love it! So fun, thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Kelly Burns and dana barlow like this.

5. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I don't know what is more valuable now, the cars or the boards!!!

6. Jarek Thompson

Jarek Thompson

7. 2935ford

2935ford

I was like that guy towing his board back of his bike. That's how I got to the beach to surf. Built the carrier with some 2 x 4's and a couple of wagon wheels. Off to Torrance beach I went. The downside was the long pedal home after surfing all day! :)

8. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-9-24_7-58-20.png
    Hello,
    Nice story about old cars and surfing paradise. Here is a photo of a nice car and when the surf spot breaks well, is SURFING PARADISE...

This was taken at Malibu Surfrider Beach. It is none other than "The Gidget." Kathy Kohner Zuckerman's dad wrote the saga of "Gidget." She is a real person who actually surfed and rode to Malibu in her 1947 Buick convertible. Her choice of parking spots is a premium, as the wall behind is "the" spot to be. It is right in front of all the wave action in the water.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-women-go-topless.445421/page-5#post-12679379

When we were able to get to Malibu Surfrider Beach for this particular parking area, we had to leave our Long Beach house at 2 a.m. Then the premium spots were relatively empty at Malibu when we arrived. After a very early surf session, we could go back to our cars and have a nice bowl of chili, then take a nap.

Jnaki
    Yea...for early surfing road trips in our hot rod surf transportation.

upload_2019-9-24_8-56-25.png

9. catdad49

catdad49

Jnaki, I know you have plenty to share on this!

10. Jay71

Jay71

So good. Pat Curren pushing the car off the cliff, absolute legendary guy. Thanks for sharing!

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And we can thank the Nazis (sort of) for that. Frederick Kohner was a Jewish playright or sceenwriter (something like that) working in the German movie making business. The Nazis started removing Jewish film credits from movie so he up and moved his family to Hollywood. Hang Zehn!

12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Those crazy, surfin', hoodlums!!! I'd sure like to have that 57 Ford Wagon. I still say, todays auto makers should reproduce the old cars; it would be easy enough to incorporate impact bumpers into the bodies. They could't keep them on the lots (and I'm not referring to the Camaro's/Challengers that only slightly resemble the originals). But what do I know? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

13. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Phil Sauer owned this 51 Merc built by Dean Jeffries and striped by Von Dutch in the mid 50's and had a custom surfboard rack built for it. He was taught to surf by the legendary Pops Proctor In 1961, Phil opened a surf shop on the corner of Firestone and Lakewood Blvds in Downey, called "Surfboards by Phil". Eventually the movie industry noticed Phil's shop, and over the next few years, it would be know as "Surfboards To The Stars". And they were featured along with his clothing line in almost every beach party movies, including, "Ride The Wild Surf", "Muscle Beach Party", "Beach Blanket Bingo", "How To Stuff a Wild Bikini", "Dr. Goldfoot And The Bikini Machine", "Beach Ball", "Bikini Beach", "Wild On The Beach", also classis tv shows as the "The Monkees" and "Gidget.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  14. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

In the early 1960s I was not skilled at surfen,but loved to try,never did get good,too many other things to do as well. But the girls we met were outstanding. Miami Beach,South Beach an Haulover were the hot surf spots. Other spots were more up the cost , Fort L,Coco,Daytona. I ran over in my hot rod an rent a stick sometimes { Bobtailed 1928 hot rod roadster was not really a good way to move a surf board ,if I had owned one},Get a few fresh Bagels at Bakery next door to Surf Shop, share with the chicks,an cross the street to South Beach.
    View is from top of wall,with Dog Track parking garage right behind wall,if ya got in early AM,could park on lower level {in the shade an first line of cars}. There was a snack n ice cream truck that would be there most sundays too.
    The pier was built in 1926 and city destroyed it in 1984=it had been the divider between swimmers to the north and surfers to the south as you see,running over to the {Gator}rock jetty about 1/2mile to south of photo. Don't get near Gator,it bits. Nothing looks or is the same anymore GONE. Removing the pier made the all sand bottom change,so wave shape was changed an not as good.

SouthBeachSurf1960s.jpg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  15. longhorizon

longhorizon

Corvair tube ride... Classic!

16. To me, this is the ultimate classic combo......I think Junji aka jnaki, used this photo in one of his enjoyable posts.....Hopefully he will embellish a bit more about it....
    IMG_0030.JPG

17. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I'm pretty sure that is not a '47 Buick...'51/52?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well I think Pat was an ass for doing that.

X-cpe likes this.
  20. jnaki

jnaki

Hey F,
    Great catch. I was told it was a 47. But, now that I look at the taillights a little better, it is a 1951 Buick Convertible. My wife showed me this family photo of her mom from 1951...duh... It was dated 1951 on the back. The unusual taillights should have been a giveaway... I will keep the old eyes "sharper" for better detailing, the next time.

upload_2019-9-24_17-39-43.png

THANKS,
    Jnaki

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-women-go-topless.445421/page-5#post-12679379

21. 51 mercules

51 mercules

One more pic of Phil![​IMG]

22. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-9-25_4-21-15.png
    Leroy Grannis photo PCH Malibu

Hello,
    Here is the reverse or "from the beach" shot showing the parking of the various old cars getting those choice spots along the PCH, Malibu Beach spaces. It was in front of the action taking place on the beach and in the water. When we were able to take a break between all of surfing going on since the very early morning, the cars were our tents and shade.

It was our refuge, as well as an "on the road, home cooked meal," and finally a nap, until the swells picked up again in the late afternoon glass off. It was nice, as the doors could be opened and the view of the waves were right in front of us... Also, it was a nice viewing spot for watching all of the beach-goers that walked in front of us.

Jnaki
    This scene was what made the long drive up to Malibu and the LA County coastline so enjoyable. We lived in Long Beach, were close to the OC with its pristine waves, but this scene in Malibu was "something to write home about to all friends and family" ...as the saying goes.

Hey IM,
    Thank you for thinking of my old stories from 1960-65 in the So Cal surf scene. The photo is one of Leroy Grannis' coolest shots. We did go up and down the coast for endless surf trips. On a couple of our Orange County trips, we used to stop at Oak Street and Brooks Street in Laguna Beach to catch the South swell breaking there. Normally, during the year, the swells just aren't as good as during the Summer swells those reefs get from the building hurricane swells from down South.

It was a hard choice, Brooks Street on the second or third reef out or Salt Creek Point or Middles... what a dilemma. Brooks Street had such a beautiful shoreline, but the comparable empty cliffs at Salt Creek matched it wave for wave and view for view. How to make a difficult choice. One day we decided to stop at Brooks Street, just because it was breaking on the second reef and blasting all the way to the shoreline. There were plenty of down-the- line surfing going on there.

When we got outside to wait for the waves, there were a couple of outstanding girls in 1960s bathing suits in the line up. The waves came and the girls took off without a care about the size or condition. They blasted their way, all the way to shore. The funny thing was, everyone gave them room, as later, we were told that they rule this beach. (famous locals was the terminology) It was a nice sight watching them surf.

Jnaki
    Then on the beach, my friend introduced me to their mom. The mom was really good looking. At first, I thought it was a third sister. Then, she introduced us to the sisters and that was a big treat. My friend, aside, told me how he met the family from Laguna Beach and remained friends all of these years. Needless to say, that made my day and it was fun hanging out at Brooks Street.

Our friends at Salt Creek told us that we missed an EPIC day there, with some super long Point Break waves going all the way to Middles, for an excellent day... But, there was no comparison in meeting this very cool family with the mom and two great looking sisters, plus, we got to surf second and third reef, Brooks Street.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/vintage-surf-transportation.326942/page-5#post-12120512

upload_2019-9-25_4-51-59.png
    Oh yeah, I forgot...the woody photo is from Leroy Grannis (premier surf photographer in the 60s) It was showing some famous surfers gathered around the woody and the two beautiful girls, also famous. But, the photo was taken in Hawaii, between the big surf during the winter months, not in the OC...
    upload_2019-9-25_4-52-45.png Photo courtesy of Tracey Sizemore. 1964

23. Special Ed

Special Ed

Leroy "Granny" Grannis photographed the surf "culture" in Southern California and Hawaii for over six decades. He continued surfing, well into his eighties. Once he moved down here to San Diego county, he was a fixture at Tamarack Beach in Carlsbad, and was out in the line-up almost daily. He was fun to watch and surf with ... big-brimmed panama hat, and all. Neat fellow and a really terrific photographer.
    [​IMG]

Besty34, catdad49, LBCD and 4 others like this.
  24. 51 mercules

51 mercules

25. Jay71

Jay71

Life goals right there ^^^^^

dana barlow likes this.
  26. Sutton Speed

Sutton Speed

My '59 Edsel Villager and 9'6 Dano noserider... And a few rugrats in the driver seat.

2222.jpg

27. jnaki

jnaki

Hey J,

Surf movies were the best thing going for the after hours in So Cal. Almost every week, there were great movies being shown in local auditoriums all across the So Cal surf scene. Of course, everyone was always anxious to see the latest from Bruce Brown, John Severson, and into the later years, the MacGillivray-Freeman Films.

The early films had the sound track piped in the auditorium from a reel to reel tape player, the film maker sitting on a chair off to the side with his microphone, narrating the whole film. That, in itself was very cool, because, it was just a step up from home made films, with the film maker right on stage, talking non-stop about what he saw, the locations, and the surfers. The mellow voice of Bruce Brown to the sharp voices of John Severson and the Greg MacGillivray- Jim Freeman showmen, all made it come to life on the big screen.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/do-you-look-to-see-if-people-are-looking.1161144/page-3#post-13206791

The hot rods, station wagons, vans, woodies, and family 4 doors were all part of the surf transportation scene. For some, it did matter what was driven to the beach, but for most, whatever was handy to get the boards and paraphernalia to the surf spots all up and down the coast.
    upload_2019-9-29_3-53-35.png
    1961: one of the first days of full recovery for my brother. He was given the OK to go into the salt water. It was the Seal Beach Pier surfing therapy. Filmed by our dad, he wanted to be there in his 1957 Buick Roadmaster to see my brother surf for the first time in a long recovery period. (from August 1960 to July 1961, almost a year to get to the point of high activity, again.)
    FILM BY DAD NAK

Jnaki

There were some great shots of the Doheny State Beach Amtrak underpass and Long Beach local, Mark Martinson looking back out of his primered 35 Pontiac sedan. Usually, parking was where ever there happened to be a dirt lot, nearest to the surf spot. The most unusual was the Camp Pendleton Trestles jungle area until it was burned to the ground.

In most of the early surfing movies shown at high school/college auditoriums, in between the surfing action, there was always intermission at half time. Prior to that, these movies of funny surfing related portions were inserted. Then after that, back to the heavy duty surfing action usually leading to the final shots making one remember the last thing shown, still on our brains while driving home.
    upload_2019-9-29_3-54-46.png
    This portion shows the Amtrak overpass on PCH going south, near Capistrano Beach. It was also nearing the finish line of the Dana Point Coasting Contest highway. Surfers from all over So Cal knew about the unofficial coasting contest through Dana Point, starting at the top of the PCH hill near Blue Lantern Street.

When our cars were approaching the big bend and hill from the Salt Creek area, they were put in neutral and coasted as far as possible going South past Hobie’s Surf Shop and the beach/surf spot at Doheny. There was only one stop light in Dana Point, so it made the contest easy to make the light and head for the finish area.

Most surf cars got stuck under the over pass or just past the uphill portion of this dip. But, for those that could drive and use special techniques, the finish spots kept getting expanded past the Mexican Restaurant and closer to the old Capistrano Beach Pier.

Those were the times for crazy teenage antics… this was one of them.
    upload_2019-9-29_16-45-12.png
    Note: The somewhat streamlined front end and body design of the 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery did well in this record attempt. It held the record (Mexican Restaurant on the highway past the AMTRAK bridge) for a while, then there were other notifications, rumored to go past that point... until...they put in other stop lights in the city and the whole thing was kaput.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  28. SbcMike65

SbcMike65

Great pics and stories. Born and raised in SoCal, graduating in 1965 I was right in the middle of all this. High school parking lot with wagons, panels and woodies. Rincon was a short drive north from Oxnard Ca. I wasn't a surfer but a hot rodder and water skier. At the time my Dad was playing with SK flat bottoms, his last being a 17'10" Gaylord hull powered by a Holman-Moody 427 medium riser. My goal was to ski behind it at WOT, never made it. Fell a couple of times around 65 mph and that damn water was hard. I was driving a pale yellow '56 Nomad to H.S. The girls loved it but when the opportunity came along to trade it for a 301 powered '57 Bel air with dual quads, 4 speed, 4:56 gears and 7 in. Casler cheater slicks, there was no doubt about what I was going to do. The only caveat from my Dad was if I got caught racing (I was 17) he'd yank the car from me. I had a steady girl so the trade was made. Wish I had some of my old photos digitized so I could post. Three days before my 18th birthday I got my first ticket, but that's a story for another time.

29. jnaki

jnaki

Hey S,
    Sorry your old photos are not digitized. Scan them one at a time and save them to your folder of your computer. When all of the scanning is finished, go back to the photo program built into your computer and check out the photos for big errors or focus. Sometimes those photo programs can get a better focus without destroying any of the "old" feel.

After checking all of the old photos, then save them to an external solid state hard drive for safe keeping. In an emergency, forget the photo box or albums. If you have saved all of your photos and proper papers, grab the external hard drive and run. It is pretty much safe keeping in all sorts of situations.

Jnaki
    I have learned the hard way and now all of my files are backed up into several external hard drives that can easily be placed in a "GO BAG", ready to leave when an emergency arises. But, first, get those old photos scanned. Try 600 dpi and if you run into problems, try 300 dpi settings on the scanner.

alanp561, dana barlow and catdad49 like this.
  30. dave 62 pb

dave 62 pb

Love your villager is a 6 or 9 seater