Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 235 guys and gals- would a head like this Mae any noticeable difference?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oilslinger53, Sep 24, 2019.

1. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

The price is no problem, I can afford it. But would it bring any noticeable difference in power? My engine is bored over x .040. I got a 254 x 264 cam on the way from Langdon’s, and dual Webers with dual exhaust. My deck has been shaved pretty low, pistons are just barely below deck height. I contacted the seller to see if the valves will clear my pistons, and he says that he recesses the valves when he builds these heads and they will clear even if the pistons are flush with the deck.
    Cost aside, what do you guys think? Would this head give me any noticeable difference in power?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

3. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

4. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

I do not have this book, but I just ordered it, and will have it in 2 days. Thank you!

I’m gonna contact Ed, hopefully he can give me some input as well. I’ve also been talking to tom Langdon, and will get his thoughts next time I speak with him. Thanks for the reply!

5. 52HardTop

52HardTop

The 848 head is the one you want. You won't be making a mistake of you put it on your engine. It's the later head from 1956. They were used as it had a little more compression than the stock heads did.

6-bangertim and oilslinger53 like this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

If you are racing the car regularly you might notice the difference, in the time slips. Or maybe not.

Seat of the pants? It's just gotta feel quicker, after spending the money for a port job!

X-cpe, Frankie47, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you get it. I would cc the chamber so you know the compression. Plastic burettes are cheap on Amazon and you can get plastic from ACE hardware for the plate. The formula to do the math is on the KB piston site and real ez to use. Cloyse has a gear set to advance/retard the cam and advancing will help seat-of-the-pants feel but you need to be careful with the intake valve hitting the piston with the decking that's been done. Good luck..

8. Joe H

Joe H

I would think for that kind of money you should have flow numbers off a flow bench, before and after porting. It doesn't take much to screw up a port cutting out material, the flow benches do not lie!

Frankie47, G-son, 6-bangertim and 2 others like this.
  9. What Joe H said. Not sure the costs but think that this is pretty high price tag on that head. You can get an aluminum head through Summit for $1K to $1300. To me that would seem like a much better deal. You could even paint it if you didn't like the bare aluminum. Just saying.

Old wolf likes this.
  10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Where do you get an aluminum head for a 235 for $1300 And is it being aluminum better?

52HardTop and tractorguy like this.
  11. I remember reading a story many decades ago about a sailor on a submarine carried his GMC cyl head on the ship with him. Spent two years porting and polishing on it. When he got home and installed it . He cracked it the very first pass down the track.

12. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Ok, talked to a few old timers now; seems it wouldn’t make much difference except at very high rpm, even if it was done perfectly. Looks like imma pass, regular 848 is going back on it.

Hnstray, JeffB2 and Old wolf like this.
  13. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Weird sounding 235 !

14. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

LAROKE likes this.
  15. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Give this a read,maybe you could join him for lunch: https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ed-iskenderian-the-camfather/ Having lunch with the Camfather would be something to treasure for years,not a lot of our legends left.

oilslinger53 likes this.
  16. LAROKE

LAROKE

That's my 235. Thanx for linking it. Sorry to report that I'm slow as a glacier and there isn't much more story yet as I'm currently engaged in rebuilding my other truck. I did manage to find a Vertex magneto to add to the mock up since that post was last updated.

[​IMG]

17. Summit web site, looked it up before I posted.

18. LAROKE

LAROKE

I believe those to be 235 cc v8 heads, not a 235 c.i. inline six stovebolt head.

19. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Can you give me a part number?

20. sunbeam

sunbeam

oilslinger53 and Hnstray like this.
  21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

22. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Hope you post an update with a video when you get it done and fired up. :D

lothiandon1940 and LAROKE like this.
  23. LAROKE

LAROKE

I'm concentrating on my other truck but soon I'll be back to work on both. Daily heat indexes have fallen below 100 this week, here in South Florida, and I can stand being out in the shop again.

JeffB2 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus