Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Normandy beach race France

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrquickwhip, Aug 28, 2019.

1. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

I apologise for any upset my original post may have caused, I only posted to show what was scheduled and I'm not connected to the event in any way.
    The local people are highly respectful of the men and women who gave their lives and are very protective of the area so I'm sure they will have checked that the event would not encroach any sensitive areas.

Spoggie, catdad49, j hansen and 5 others like this.
  2. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Hey guys before you start shouting at me I am planning on going to the event, I'm an English guy living in lower Normandy and right near where we live was a major battle where alot of men and women lost their lives,, the utmost respect will be shown by all on the day as it is every time we pass towns, villages and beaches where so many lost their lives.
    just want to say no one will ever forget what happened 75yrs ago, Wayne

3. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Spoggie and stillrunners like this.
  4. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

hopefully it will be a nice day,with some great racing.

lurker mick, j hansen and Stogy like this.
  5. chrisp

chrisp

Given that France and before that Gaul has seen countless wars in its history there is probably not an inch of the country that is not a grave of some kind. My farmer neighbor told me how he brings back to the surface human bones in his appropriately named fields of hell (official name) when he plows. They date back to a battle between the French and the army of Henry IV.

6. GeeRam

GeeRam

Not several miles at all, about 750 yards from the eastern edge of Queen Red landing zone where British and Free French Commando's landed, see my earlier post (and the memorial statue to Piper Bill Millin)
    All marked on Google maps.

Spoggie likes this.
  7. sololobo

sololobo

event poster art is awesome!

Stogy, Nostrebor and nunattax like this.
  8. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

there is a memorial there allright.if you travel along the road on google streetview there is a monument with a French tricolour and the butchers apron flying over it

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    Stogy likes this.
  9. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

good weather,looked like a great event

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  10. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Stogy likes this.
  11. What Stuart said......have fun guys !

12. oldsfrench

oldsfrench
    from France

i was at normandy beach race ;
    good weather , great cars on the beach and on the parking lot , a lot of people visiting ...
    20190921_082249.jpg
    20190921_082300.jpg
    20190921_083535.jpg
    20190921_083726.jpg
    20190921_083731.jpg
    20190921_084023.jpg
    20190921_084051.jpg
    20190921_084228.jpg
    20190921_095921.jpg
    20190921_095936.jpg
    20190921_103656.jpg
    20190921_103805.jpg
    20190921_104517.jpg
    20190921_104739.jpg
    20190921_221925.jpg

32SEDAN, RMR&C, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  13. man oh man, trying hard not to respond to all the back and forth on the first page....

Pictures are great. Looks like it was a good turn out with great weather. Hopefully things went smoothly!

nunattax and 39WILLZ like this.
  14. chrisp

chrisp

Thanks for the videos and pictures.
    I live a couple of hours away from there but I couldn't make it : too much work at home maybe next year if there is one.

nunattax likes this.
  15. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Fantastic turn out for the first one thanks for adding a pic of my Willys ,, oldsfrench, lots of people and lots of kooooool cars and perfect weather look forward to next year.

nunattax likes this.
  16. Kume

Kume

Great location. great event. Hope it is on next year when I am over next.

nunattax likes this.
  17. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Few more pics to add

kaspar, RMR&C, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  18. Garpo

Garpo

It is probably unfair to suggest disrespect for those racing on the beach in France,
    When you travel through , and visit the memorials and cemeteries, all beautifully maintained, you can feel the total SDC13241.JPG respect for the fallen of those two wars
    SDC13202.JPG

rat bastad, Deuces, 32SEDAN and 7 others like this.
  19. Rustygt

Rustygt
    from Emeryville

My Uncle served there and spent 73 straight hours pulling murdered US and Allies out of the frigid water that the tides pulled and pushed onto and off that beach. I served in S.E.A. 68 to 70. I'm a rod man to the core but say that ground is off limits cool poster/ event or what have you that allows anything but respect to take place on that stretch of sand. There are plenty of other beach areas to race upon. If you have worn the uniform you know from where I come !! if you haven't you need to back away from your opinion on what is right.

20. Personally, besides the fact that it is hallowed ground, I would not feel at ease driving on a beach that had ten gadzillion tons of explosives dumped on it. Even after over 70 years, there may be something buried there that the surf uncovered one night.

21. chrisp

chrisp

Every year storms brings back to the surface bombs and sometimes stockpiles of explosives from WWII on the beaches, inland construction workers dig up unexploded explosives from WWII and more rarely WWI. As a teen in the 80's I was going in the forest with a friend in a particular spot just 10km off Paris to dig up bullets of all shapes and sizes (pretty stupid in retrospect) even without metal detector : just dig and you came up with stuff the size of your hand sometimes.
    Again that is the first time in history that France isn't at war for 70 years on it's soil. Prior to that I think the longest period was between 30 and 50 years, the whole country is a battlefield.
    Racing there doesn't show disrespect, fallen soldiers aren't buried there. We can talk about some other country who has no problem building housing project or pipelines on native burial/sacred ground but that's a slippery slope that has nothing to do with hot rodding...

39WILLZ and nunattax like this.
  22. Man oh man... I might get censored here, but whatever. To all the people on this thread talking about how this event is disrespectful and that Normandy beach is hallowed ground...

How many of you have actually been to France. Visited the beaches? Walked where soldiers fell? Looked out front the bunkers and stood on the cliffs? I have. And yep, it is hallowed ground. There are areas of the beaches that command immense respect and awe. But it's a beach, not a burial ground. Something tragic happened there, but everyone who died - not just Americans, but British, Canadians, Australians and many other nationalities - died fighting for freedom. America's favourite slogan. This world is for the living, and saying the beach should never be used by the living, or that it should only be used in certain ways because people laid down their lives there, is just silly.

Visit France. WWII isn't just some abstract 'thing' that happened. You won't see 'Back to Back World War Host' t-shirts. You won't see lack lustre Remembrance Day turnouts. What you will see is buildings that still wear the scars of battle. Meticulously maintained monuments free of graffiti and trash. Extraordinarily cared for graveyards and well funded museums. As a Canadian, people actually thanked me for what my country did for them! Hell, there are towns in France and Belgium that still hold weekly remembrance ceremonies! The idea of 'never forget' is alive and well over there.

Ironically, this thread is getting kick back for having hotrods on the beach. But nobody bitches about all the paved roads through the civil war battlefields just to make visiting more convenient.

23. rgdavid

rgdavid

I live in france,
    Dont worry about the french hotrodders not knowing about reverence or where they are racing.
    They know full well and respect very much and feel honoured to be there using the freedom given by so many, in a way its tribute for freedom and to young men who never made it to rodding,
    in france there is so much respect to ww2 monuments and places of battle.
    There is even a village that is left empty after a massacer.
    Please go back to the racing.

24. Deuces

Deuces

No, but their DNA is still lingering on those beaches..... Even after 75 years.... :(
    I'll never set foot on that beach....

25. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

Looks like an awesome event. Can anyone go into details about what kind of cars are welcome and what it would take to get a car from the US to the event?

39WILLZ likes this.
  26. oldsfrench

oldsfrench
    from France

rules are :
    car before 1949
    flathead only
    car must have original frame , steel body ;
    just few modification are allowed , but must be period correct ...
    the driver have to get dressed period correct as well ...
    for safety , no coolant in the engine while racing....

27. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

Flathead only, huh? Oh well.

28. oldsfrench

oldsfrench
    from France

yes sir ....
    flathead only ...

29. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

Bummer. I’m running a 60’s smallblock.

nunattax likes this.
  30. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

more on u tube .

j hansen, 56shoebox and oldsfrench like this.