Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration "Man, there's a lot of money here!"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chappy444, Sep 23, 2019.

1. I was at a show this past Saturday and I was up near the top of the lot looking over the thinking how cool it was to have so many cool cars in one spot and just reflecting on the hobby and how happy it made me to be able to enjoy events like this. There were a couple of guys standing near me and I heard one say, "Man, there is a lot of money sitting here".... I nodded and said "way more blood and sweat". They agreed and we went our separate ways.
    But it has become one of those seeds of thought that I haven't been able to let go of. I have been pondering that statement on and off for a couple of days.
    "Man, there's a lot of money sitting here"....
    I thought through the math a bit... and assuming every car there could be bought... there was probably upwards of $15,000,000 sitting on the grass that day.
    Then I started to think about the total cost involved... the money payed to others for work, or the money we dont pay ourselves for work... parts money, beer money.
    Then I started thinking of rates of return, the many discussion on here about losing your ass building a car for monetary reasons...
    And that brought me right back to where I was standing on that beautiful Saturday surrounded by all those sweet ass cars and I realized that those cars in that group, at that moment in time were truly priceless.
    Chappy

2. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I often think the same.
    I really enjoy the shop time and have never kept my receipts. I told myself that I was going to keep track on my latest build but guess what? I haven't kept one. The wife doesn't bitch and I enjoy what I do. I know I will never make a profit but what the heck I'm having fun!

Uribe, wicarnut, hotrodjack33 and 2 others like this.
  3. Drive past a major marina sometime and give the same thought to all of that money just floating there!!:eek:

LBCD, hrm2k, Jet96 and 10 others like this.
  4. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

How about at a new car dealership.

wicarnut, The37Kid and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. The cruise next month is a big part of what makes it worth it, driving the car to shows is as much fun as being there. @Chappy444 and @lothiandon1940 hope to see both of you guys there.

wicarnut and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. The beauty about owning and building hot rods is it doesn't really matter how much money you spend as long as your family doesn't suffer.

I started building hot rods long before I had any disposable income to spend on my hobby.

To be perfectly honest I have never owned a new car, I would rather have several older cars that keep their value, granted there are individuals with deep pockets that try to out do their peers, I have never subscribed to that mentality.

I know couple of guys that have more money in one car than I have in all my cars, hot rods & daily drivers plus my house and land, if they can afford it more power too them. HRP

wicarnut, 56premiere, clem and 3 others like this.
  7. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Spot on. Tried keeping receipts but then lacked the discipline to keep them all. Maybe I really didn’t want to know.

8. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like R R, I've never kept receipts, but dollar wise I've probably about broke even. I've sold a few of my rods for way too much money...have sold a few for wat too little. But, if you were figure in my time in the shop building them...I've certainly LOST MY ASS:eek:

I guess that's why it's a hobby...and who can really put a price on "shop fun":)

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Have you pondered the MOUNTAIN of money people spend on cell phones/service?

10. I've had that same thot at many different events....the beauty of fixing up old cars is that you don't need to spend a lot to have a good time,
    my cars are always the lowest buck cars in any show or group but I have just as much or more fun as anyone.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    wicarnut and hotrodjack33 like this.
  11. Mimilan

Mimilan

My husband never keeps receipts either.
    Everything he buys is an investment, and an absolute bargain.
    Something doesn't add up

e1956v, rod1, clem and 6 others like this.
  12. Also my wife knows where I am.
    I'm not pissing away my money in a bar.

13. oldolds

oldolds

Lots of thing boggle my mind when I see the prices. I was behind someone at the store the other day, a carton of cancer sticks it over $100! It all goes up in smoke.

14. X-cpe

X-cpe

There is a cartoon I've had on my office bulletin board for nearly forty years. Two little boys sitting on the curb, one saying to the other, "Money can't buy you happiness. First you have to convert it into toys."

AVater, 56premiere, Jet96 and 4 others like this.
  15. jim snow

jim snow

Well spoken. I don’t ever think about the money. It’s about the joy and satisfaction of driving an old vehicle. Snowman

16. And, unlike an old car or Rod, ain't worth wiping your arse with it this time next year. I've never seen someone smile or wave at you because you have a new 'phone.

17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- I keep all receipts, never add them up. but, if ever had to prove cost/value to insurance company claims adjuster due to accident, etc. Plus, if ever selling helps out new owner know where parts, etc came from need to buy replacements, etc

- yep, it is OK to buy whatever helps make your time above the dirt better

AVater likes this.
  18. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I have always kept receipts. It seems like that is part of the history of each car. I know what was spent, generally less than they are worth as I don’t put a dollar value on my time. Usually I note the date and mileage on each receipt which can be useful when parts wear out not to mention having the part number makes buying parts a lot easier.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bailed out of the whole car hobby a few years ago because I got tired of the constant "what's it worth" from spectators who were only interested in finding the most expensive rides in the park to be able to tell their cronies that they had seen these $$$$$$$ dollar cars. Asked one one day how much cash he had to buy something with and it turned out he couldn't afford a pop from the concession stand let alone buy someone's car but he was asking what each was worth. Not what engine it had, how much it was chopped or who painted it or did the interior.
    Funny thing is that when I bailed from cars I bought a sailboat and for a number of years have met up with a bunch of boat buddies who's income level ranges from barely existing to serious coin from executive level jobs. The one thing I have never heard is anyone menton what their boat is worth or what they had spent on it unless it was actually for sale. You were another boat guy who liked to party with them and that was and is all that counts.

I'd say that a lot of us here do put what we would have put into a car payment on a new car into our projects quite often if the budget allows but budgets all differ and so be it. It's all about how much enjoyment you get out of the build or out of driving your and not how much you spend as far as I am concerned. Who gives a rip how much someone else has to spend to build or buy a car unless it is your shop that is building it or your car you have up for sale.

wicarnut and deucemac like this.
  20. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

The only reason I've ever asked what it cost, is to find out if I can somehow afford it, &/or what I'd have to give up in life n for how long to acquire that particular item. Usually includes machine work/etc. I usually figure out, that while it's really neat, I don't have the burning desire to do what is necessary to get it. It ranges from redo-ing what I have, to acquiring what I'd like, to knowing where something cool is - but knowing rough cost almost always stops the desire/dream. Up in smoke w/o ever lighting up. Hmmm, maybe I need some Dreamcatchers. I've found that in order to have deep pockets, 1st you need pockets... ;( . Lifes' other priorities come 1st. & the buildable stuff sits... ;( . <shrug>. I do keep receipts, but only in a futile attempt to remember what I used at some point in the future when stuff breaks. Kinda pointless to add them up. Marcus...

21. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

I have never built a car to make a profit. I am making a huge profit every hour I am working on something I enjoy so much!

wicarnut likes this.
  22. If you think about the money too much, you lose sight of the cars....

23. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

As a hobbyist I’ve had a couple of projects I’ve been working on for a while now and the imagination and inspiration to build something in a way that no one else is is where I’m at. I’m a bit of a suspension junkie so I’m always looking at how something works and if it can work in something I’m working on. I prefer to harvest parts from existing production vehicles which can usually be acquired for far less then any aftermarket pieces or better yet the donor vehicle which I can sell off the parts I know I won’t need.. I don’t have too many reciecpts to add up but I know what I spent to get it and I know how much I made selling off the stuff I didn’t need.. Buying steel and or supplies is really the only real expense that has receipts to add up..

24. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have built a lot of cars over the years and as others say if you think about the money spent you loose site of the the enjoyment of building these cars. I did notice at times when a large priced item is needed or wanted I always justify it some how and never look back. My wife and kids were real troopers over the years and understand the the illness of automotive enthusiasm and have stuck with me all these years.

wicarnut likes this.
  25. wicarnut

wicarnut

The money involved is related to your income level and skills IMO. In all the years I've been involved most people I've met/know don't really talk about what they spent or value of their car unless it's for sale. I just recently was thinking as I was cruising to a show on a beautiful day how lucky I was TO BE Doing what I like with friends. Years ago a customer of mine asked me about my racing hobby, if I made any $$$ at it, answer was no but it was Fun and my passion, in conversation, he was into fishing, boating, his passion, I went with him in his 250 HP boat that went 60 MPH on the water, my question was, why such a fast boat ?, his reply, So I can get to the fish first ! we understood each other and were friends for years. My point is, we all have a need/passion for something or you've wasted your life IMO. The big shows, WOW ! factor and small shows, I enjoy the hobby and appreciate it all and like Chappy444 stated, Memories, Priceless !

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  26. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What cruise are you referring to? I had to skip the Sparrows Point this year due to clearing ground for the new garage FINALLY being built.

27. First time in years that I didn't make it either. No excuse for me.

28. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have never made a profit selling hobby cars. Of course, my intent was not to make money selling hobby cars but to have fun finding, rebuilding, and driving old cars. It is hard to quantify a hobby.

To those of you that think there must be a profit or you've done it wrong think differently than do I. A hobby car or other recreational monies spent will not be recovered. The same goes for a pro baseball game, a trip abroad, or movie. Where is the financial return on those activities? Same theory for old cars in my opinion.

I shoot for a happy medium between a Flintstone car and a Ridler contender.

wicarnut and Chappy444 like this.
  29. He is talking about the Gettysburg fall tour on October 26th I think (dont have my calendar right now.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/fall-cruise-redo.1151619/
    Chappy

30. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

At least he picked the right Gal to marry who enjoys the hobby and allows him to invest;)