Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Woody Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockable, Sep 22, 2019.

1. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do people (and Woody clubs) look down their nose at tin woodies? I know they aren't "real woodies" but they have their own advantages and they do have real wood inside, if done correctly.

Thanks for weighing in.

2. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

I’m not a member of a woody club so I don’t know the official answer, but my woody has no real wood and I’ve never had anyone make a condescending remark about my car because of the ‘fake’ wood.
    I’m sure those people are out there but I’ve been fortunate not to run in to any assholes yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimmy six and rockable like this.
  3. I'm a member of the National Woodie Club and own a 1940 Ford Wagon that was left to me in a friend's will when he passed away. I like ALL cars and especially woodies whether they are wood or "tin". Each type has it's own special character and style.

Jim

rockable likes this.
  4. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Every Woodie specific car show that I have attended, tin woodies are welcomed.

rockable likes this.

5. 41woodie

41woodie

You don't have to own a woodie to join the National Woodie Club. The only woodie specific event I've attended was Wavecrest, I believe that they do not allow "tin woodies" to enter, but that's just the rules of one club. For myself I like tin woodies and would love to own one. If anyone within the woodie owners look down on tin woodies I've never heard it mentioned and would recommend they get over themselves and remember it's supposed to be fun

rockable likes this.
  6. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, guys. I just bought a tin woody and was curious.

7. Aintcha got no pitchers??

8. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Not true about Wavecrest, there were four or five Tin Woodies in the show this year. There were also a couple in the Ogunquit, Maine, Woodie show. Buy a tin and join the National Woodie Club, there is usually an article featuring a tin Woodie in the magazine once or twice a year. There are about two dozen listed in the NWC roster of members, in fact the cover car for the July, 2019 Woodie Times is a tin. Aldean you are welcome also.

rockable likes this.
  9. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Already joined. I'm waiting until I've done a couple of things to make it look like "mine". Pictures in a few weeks.

10. jnaki

jnaki

Ford Motor Company Long Beach Assembly Plant, 700 Henry Ford Avenue, Long Beach, Los Angeles County, CA. Opened in 1929 and closed in 1958. The plant was demolished in 1991.

Hello,

When we were in elementary school during the early 50s, our class was allowed to go to the Ford Assembly Plant in Long Beach. We thought it was on Terminal Island, but it was located on the Long Beach side of the water channel surrounding the Terminal Island area. The plant was located below the Commodore Schuyler F. Heim Lift Bridge that was built in 1946. (famous from the Terminator Saga Movies)

The whole tour was eye opening. As little kids, we all thought the cars just popped up at the dealers and then the families bought them. When we were on this tour, we actually followed several cars with tags on them so we could watch the whole process while we were there. In an up close worker’s aisle, one of the guys gave me a strip of what looked like wood, but was a flat, flexible tape or decal. It was about 8 inches long.

When I showed my friends, they all wanted a piece of the same odd-looking sheet. Then the guys on the assembly line had to cut small strips for all of us to be equal. Ha! For us little kids, what is/was a woody? We all had “woodies,” as we walked along the assembly line. It sure made the station wagon look great.

Jnaki

It wasn’t until later that my brother pointed out the difference between a real wood station wagon and the ones we saw at the Ford Assembly Plant. I kept my "memento" until it disappeared one day. We thought they were just cool looking station wagons because they were real cars, not plastic models we were used to building. Who knew where the “woodies” came from back then? They were built, just 4 miles from our Westside home in Long Beach.

“Tin woodies” is a misnomer given to them by some hard core people. They were station wagons that had a different look, like convertibles or Skyliners. There is no bad connotation to owning any station wagons, so, don’t let those “bugs” get to you. Drive it like you own it…with pride.

11. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

jnaki, rockable and coupe man like this.