Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Saginaw one groove 2.54 first gear help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rbrown7713, Sep 22, 2019.

1. rbrown7713

rbrown7713

I thought I bought the correct gears to build a one groove input shaft, 2.54 first gear, Saginaw trans. The gears lock up, so obviously I have installed one or more incorrect gears. I need help identifying all of the gears by tooth count. I have the information by gear ratios, but I need to identify the gears by the number of teeth to find the culprit, such as the cluster tooth count and the matching gears and tooth count. If anyone could help, that would be great. I need help bad. Thanks. Robert Brown.

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

3. rbrown7713

rbrown7713

OK, I have a picture that I drew of the input shaft gear teeth, the main shaft gears and the teeth and the cluster gear teeth. Somewhere in these gear teeth counts, I have installed the wrong gear or gears. Here is the picture. I need the correct gear and the number of teeth on the correct gear. Thanks, Robert Brown. IMG_1928.JPG

4. squirrel

squirrel

I looked in the Chevy parts book, but they list them by vehicle application, not by first gear ratio, so it's not very helpful.

5. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you still have the old gear's to verify the tooth count, old vs. new?

6. rbrown7713

rbrown7713

Yes, that's the problem with most all info. They give you the ratios, but not the teeth count, and I am not smart enough to figure it out. Sleeper, the old gears are of a different first gear ratio, so it is not applicable. When you change to the one ring on the input shaft from 3 rings, all of the gears have to be changed. I went from a 3.50 first gear to a 2.54 first gear, but something went wrong. I am zeroing in on the 21 tooth 3rd gear on the cluster, so the corresponding gear on the main shaft might be the culprit. Thanks for everyone's input and sooner or later this will be solved. I have also reached out to Paul Cangliosi up north and hopefully he will have the answer. Thanks again guys. Robert Brown.

7. squirrel

squirrel

I think the teeth on both mating gears need to add up to the same number, ie all of them need to be 44 teeth, or 45 teeth...if you have a combination of both counts, then it won't work. But that's just a guess, and assumes they all have the same module size.

ClayMart and Jokester like this.
  8. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Squirrel nails it again! Your mainshaft 2nd is 1 tooth too big according to your chart.

9. rbrown7713

rbrown7713

Yes, I think you are on to something. If you are correct, 2nd gear on the mainshaft should be 25 teeth, not 26. How in the hell did you figure that out. I will see if I can order a 25 tooth 2nd gear. Well that is why I question people smarter than I. I will let you know. Robert Brown.

10. squirrel

squirrel

The way they make gears, the size of each tooth has to be the same, so the pitch diameter divided by number of teeth is a constant for any gears that are made to mate with each other. Any combination of two mating gears that have the same center to center distance with have the same total number of teeth. It's pretty basic engineering, but also kind of hard to remember the trick. I most often encounter this when playing with the robotics team, as we use cute little spur gear transmissions, and some times we have to change the ratios.

11. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Squirrel, actually, figured it out and he's right on the money! All gear's should have the same total tooth count between mainshaft and countersgear otherwise you will run into what you're dealing with.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  12. rbrown7713

rbrown7713

I might be in trouble after browsing the web for a 25 tooth 2nd gear, all are 26, like the one I have installed. I even looked for a cluster, 25-21-18-15-15 cluster and couldn't find one. I know these parts are rare, so I will continue to pursue looking, and thanks for your enlightenment, it is refreshing. I know they have 1 ring transmissions hence 2.54 first gear, and that is what I am trying to copy, so hopefully the guy up north, tomorrow, will have the answer, thanks again, Robert Brown.

13. rbrown7713

rbrown7713

I talked to D&L Transmissions and he verified that all of the gear teeth counts were correct. He said that probably I had some debris somewhere in the gears and he was correct, cleaned it put it back together and I have a properly shifting 2.54 first gear Saginaw close ratio trans., so thanks everyone for your help and indulgence. Robert Brown.

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Put your money in a Muncie!

15. rbrown7713

rbrown7713

As long as you buy it, I will use it. My Saginaw is finished.!

Fordors and 427 sleeper like this.
  16. X-cpe

X-cpe

'Paid for' have always been the best parts for my projects, just like the best car to have.

17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Very interesting. I never knew about gear pairs tooth count totals being a factor. But, it appears that in some cases, for whatever reason, not all gear pairs have to add up to the same total tooth count as other gear pairs with the same shaft spacing........wish I understood all of that......:confused:

Ray