Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model B trans in A frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mikko_, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

I'm going to use a Model B 4-banger and B-trans in my Model A.
    But one problem with doing so is how to mount the pedals.

I would really appreciate to see pictures of possible solutions on how to do this.

I have found this adapter kit but I'm probably going to split the wishbone and I already have
    a handbrake mounting adapter so I really don't feel like paying for parts I won't need.
    https://modelastore.com/transmission-clutch-shifter-parts/transmission-parts?product_id=3655

And I guess a pedal bracket and clutch shaft for a V8-trans won't work with the B-trans and B-clutch?
    https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/...ategory=Products/model-a/transmission-3-speed

2. rusty valley

rusty valley

i bought one of the kits you show to use a v8 trans behind a B motor in an A frame. i thought it was a bit wimpy so i made my own wish bone mount that uses 4 trans mounting bolts instead of two, irrelevant if you split the bones. then on my next B/A project i made it all instead of buying the kit. shown in the photos is the jig i made to locate the pedal shaft. i copied the kit bracket, easy since i had one already. first, lay down an A bell housing and transmission on a sheet of steel, locate the center of the input shaft, keep track of true top and bottom (square) and then weld up the parts shown in my photos, the bushings around the pedal shaft to get the location correct. note the hole drilled in the outside bushing needs to be clocked correctly so clutch pedal has the stops in the right place. next you make the bracket shown in the kit, mount it on the B trans, then mount the B trans on the jig, and put the new pedal shaft in the jig's bushings for location to weld and drill the hole in the correct clocked position. if you are not a fabricator, i think you can buy each piece separate from klings, the manufacturer. i've never had a 32, but since the k member is in the same place being a B or a v8, i assume the trans case overall length still ends up at the K, so the v8 parts sold from klings will work. you need to shorten the drive shaft and torque tube also. another option would be to use an f1 crossmember with the pedals, and rear trans mount already in place. i have never done this, but there are tons of threads here with info about using the f1 crossmember. perhaps hard to find in sweden? let me know if you need any measurements, i have lots of junk here to look at IMG_0488.JPG IMG_0488.JPG IMG_0488.JPG IMG_0489.JPG

3. I have a B trans in my 31. I used a 32 K member with the 32 pedal mount and 34 pedals. Everything lines up like the A pedals were. Check out the official clutch and brake pedal thread. Lots of ideas plus a photo of my setup.

Mikko_ and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Thanks for your input guys :)

5. And to carry it a step further I made a bracket to mount the master cylinder behind the '32 K member.

Charlie Stephens Card1 032.jpg Card1 029.jpg