Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 56 Victoria Poverty caps vs torque thrusts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gnn60gt500, Sep 23, 2019.

?
  1. Caps

16 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Thrusts

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. So right now running a 225/60/15 in the back...decided to try a 225/70/15 get a little more sidewall....so been going back and forth if I want to go for different look...ditch the poverty caps for some torque thrust d at the same time...what do ya' all think?

Attached Files:

Deuces, Blues4U and 31hotrodguy like this.
  2. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Had all 3 on mine. '56 Ford medallion full wheel covers, 57 poverty caps and Torque Thrusts. As everyone will be quick to point out. depends on the look you're after. Since your Victoria is shaved, all would be appropriate.

3. Like what you got.

Dino 64, Blues4U and 31hotrodguy like this.
  4. 66gmc

66gmc

Looks great the way it is!

Dino 64 likes this.

5. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

poverty caps should never be used. my 2 cents. just make car look cheap. hence the name.

6. I like the poverty caps on that car. Kind of tones down the Victoria and leans toward the hot rod look. But, I also really like the look of the chrome wheels on my 56 with the whitewalls. :D

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  7. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

IMHO with the style of your car I would probably go with a full wheel cover and whitewalls.
    Choosing the Thrust’s with your current tires gets my vote.

Automotive Stud likes this.
  8. I like it the way it is- looks kinda sinister...

Blues4U, Texas Webb and guthriesmith like this.
  9. Jokester

Jokester

Are you trying to please us or yourself? It's your car! Pick what you like.

.bjb

10. I like both that's my problem....really like the way it looks now but I've had these wheels for 6 years now...and well I suck at leaving things alone ...

11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Dang, it is hard to decide. Easiest way is to throw full caps on and stand back and see what you think and then get Moose to photo shop all three together in a side by side comparison . Maybe a two pack side by side ; with blackwalls as well as whitewalls with all three .

12. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

TQ's all day long.

13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Maybe Astro Supremes with custom spinners .

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg
    Since yours are not stock 56 "poverty" but pre 49's you made a change. I'm guessing Wheelsmith since I know they do this. The best looking "poverty" caps on a 56 are 1960 Fords but IMO would need whitewalls and black rims to give it a nice look. My thoughts are in the photo of our 56 Vic. I stuck with 15x6 for the traditional look.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Texas Webb, Boneyard51 and 47ragtop like this.
  15. Well, this is a hot rod site, so I vote the dark gray torque thrust wheels.

The car looks great just as it sits but looks original. HRP

Boneyard51 and 31hotrodguy like this.
  16. Jokester

Jokester

Caps on one side and torque thrust on the other. You can't see both sides at the same time anyway.

.bjb

17. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

First, love that car, and either would look awesome on it...
    However, I have always loved the tough look of poverty caps, so need to vote to keep them
    Cheers...

18. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I agree, if it was my car I'd put wide whites and '57 Caddy caps on it.

19. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

TT's are kind of played out to me, but here's another alternative (if the wheels would allow). Keep the poverty caps and add trim rings. Takes some of the edge off the starkness of caps alone, but still keeps a stock vibe. As has been said though, all depends on what "look" you're after.

20. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

My high school parking lot (1964) was filled with these cars.
    Most had narrow whites with either baby moons or 57 Plymouth’s , both looked good.

21. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

I'd go 225/70 all around - and I really like the idea of trim rings as someone said above - the thin early ribbed style that still show a lot of the wheel including the bead - NOT the rally wheel/muscle car type - you could also substitute chrome spyders for the poverty caps too

Lou kriger likes this.
  22. RmK57

RmK57

Poverty caps on a Mainline. Victoria is a little too much upscale for cheap caps.

i.rant and Chili Phil like this.
  23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm tired of the lack of originality of everyone running TT's especially the chrome and polished ones. Pull into a cruise in and you will lose count of the cars with the same damn wheels on them. Leave the car as is, looks cool.

Blues4U and guthriesmith like this.
  24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well... first, the car looks awesome.
    It's your car. But if it was mine, I'd keep the black steel wheels, put on the tallest bias-ply blackwall tires that'll fit, some chrome lug nuts, and run it without the caps sometimes. So you can show your nuts.
    Speaking respectfully, but I'm not big on mag wheels. I like the earlier simpler look, and mag wheels weren't around much until after the mid-sixties.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

leon bee and alanp561 like this.
  25. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Torq Thrusts are the most recent "belly button" addition to a car. But you said you suck at
    leaving things alone so I guess you know which way you're going to go. My thought is
    steelies and caps.

26. I agree, I am sick of looking at polished 5 spokes, but I never get tired of seeing the old style cast finish centers. HRP

bowie likes this.
  27. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with all of them now. When I did it a few years back there were not that many..I just goes to show how many guys just like that look.
    One thing the sizes available now and guys using 17-22's ...That's what's stupid for me. 16's maybe OK I'm still like mine and will keep them.

28. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Do you want it to look like a Checker or a hot rod? I think it deserves to look like a hot rod.

29. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

What ya got and some skinny ss trim rings, ribbed mind you.

30. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I'd leave the poverty caps on it, it looks bitchin like that. Though I like the idea of some more sidewall for the rear, give it a rubber rake.

guthriesmith likes this.