Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Case of the Hundred Dollar SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Sep 22, 2019.

1. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

One of the "selling features" of the Target Master 350 replacement engine series, now called GM Goodwrench engines, was a 4 bolt main block. The block casting number for a 2 piece rear main seal block, was 10066036. Another was a dipstick that could be used on either side of the engine, and they came with a metal plug used to plug the unused side. Low compression (76 CC) and 1.94" intake heads, but the intake runners were fairly small. Your block number of 14016379 would seem to be something other than a Target Master; maybe an earlier version made in the USA? Does the block say, "Hecho en Mexico" on the bell-housing flange area? That was another give-a-way they were Target Master's; Made in Mexico. I bought one new ($1400.00)for an OT truck, and right after the 12 month/12,000 mile warranty ran out, so did the Target Master; it dropped number 8 exhaust valve, embedded the valve head in the top of the combustion chamber, the valve stem punched a hole in the piston top, and the block was flooded with water from the perforated combustion chamber. On tear-down, I found it had really deep, top of cylinder ridges for the mileage; apparently the blocks used a cheap cast iron that wore quickly. I still have the connecting rods, sheet metal, dampener, and the bare block; gave the crank away, and tossed the heads. Thought I might use the block for something that would't see a lot of driving one day. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  2. ... "I've been wrong, more than I have been right. So I left." :)

Target Master 350 part # was 14009800.

Seeing the V0809800 block stamp just made me think DPumper was correct. V for Flint plant ... leaving 0809800.

09800 was part of an old work telephone number ... that I happened to work, at the time, I bought a Targetmaster 350 engine for a truck I used to own, then. Never forgot that correlation.

Dumb maybe ... but here I am. Ha !

I realize the 08 is different than my 140 ... Chevrolet counter difference maybe ? Close enough to win the race ? Figured Squirrel would answer eventually ...

loudbang likes this.
  3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

No henco Mexico on there. Heads are 462624, look like smoggers. It's blue underneath, weren't the Targets black? Have to work today, can't pull the pan.

loudbang likes this.
  4. I built a 350 for my car that ran me $100. It came out of a wrecked '74 Impala. They can still be found, I'll grab any one that I come across.

loudbang likes this.
  5. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

20190716_083519.jpg Just got a hecho crate motor for free
    Guy wanted more hp
    Motor looks really clean and makes a good back up... they had a weiand single plane... On it.. lol

loudbang, jim snow and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Around here we use the 882 and 624's on our pure stock roundy round motors that's why i was thinking circle track with the 2 barrel intake. What heads did the Target Master come with? We'll know more when you pull the cam.

loudbang likes this.
  7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

After reading this response, I had to go out to the shop, and check the casting number. There may have been "other" casting numbers, based on the claimed HP output, but mine is 100660346, and purchased from Seaview Chevrolet in Lynnwood, Wa. shortly after that dealership opened; they even delivered it N/C. It was the "low" HP version; a replacement for 73-86 engines if I remember correctly. Like I said,. maybe a USA made VS Mexico made number? Anyway, this was all around the time the "crate engine" terminology was really starting to become prevalent. I even installed a more aggressive cam and kit in it after a while, before it turned itself into garbage. Then, thinking I "might" use this block for some future build, I bought several different crankshafts for it over time; a 302 #1178, a forged 350 crank, a forged large forged journal 327, and I even wound up with a nodular iron 307 crank (??? why:)). I even bought several sets of oversize pistons in different CID sizes, but I've since sold most of those. I'll probably never use any of the cranks, or even the block for that matter. But, I stick with my casting number, whatever it is supposed to be/for/whatever. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
    loudbang and Deuces like this.
  8. Theres a place in Tyler Texas that's makes cast iron pipe. they recycle car engines and other scrap to make their product. the cast that fails their inspection is sold to the chevy engine plant in Mexico.. A solid used engine block is already cured and is better than a Green newly cast block

9. I've had a "Hecho en Mexico" in the storage shed for about 20 yrs, that came out of my bus when I put the 383 in. I ran it for a few years with a 144 B&M on it and forged TRW flat tops back in the day. It has a flat cam in it now and that's why I pulled it out.

It's a STD bore, 4-bolt, forged crank and I believe it to be thick wall casting. Oh, it's black and says medium duty on the valve covers... :cool:

loudbang likes this.
  10. Deuces

Deuces

Bump!......

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. @56sedandelivery. Hey Butch !! So your passenger side block stamp is 100660346 ? Yes ? They usually have 9 digits.

This one is V0809800. What the hell ? Definitely 8 digits. Mine was 140809800.

Seems there is a sh%load of number stamps. HP all over the board. 195, 205, 250, 260, 275 from other forum sites. Guess there were different models ?

Mine was definitely nothing radical. Cheapest, or next to cheapest. 900 to a thousand bucks. Truck burnouts, and tire chirps. Dumb kid stuff. :)

This thread here, has blue paint, in the 1st paragraph @blowby. >>>

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/goodwrench-target-crate-engines.638731/

Maybe you'll get lucky, and find someone with an old Goodwrench catalog. Either way ... winner !

loudbang likes this.
  12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

13. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Winner winner, chicken dinner!

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The rod end balance pads look "polished", like maybe this engine has seen a precision balance sometime in it's life. Usually, those pads are duller, more like the rest of the rod. Maybe it's just the image/lighting?

kid, this is the block casting number on the bell-housing flange, not the serial number on the passenger size front

Old wolf, I went to X-Ray school in Tyler, Tx. I know the foundry you're talking about, and when I used to drive by there, I was always looking for the old cast iron Hydra-Matics and older Oldsmobile/Pontiac engines; course the mountains of scrap cast iron had a lot of them. Place used to make manhole covers and caps, along with pipe. At least the stuff was't being shipped oversees. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Old wolf, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  15. Deuces

Deuces

16. I had a job hauling flatbed loads of junk cast and engines in there. and got a load of manhole covers to deliver for a return road, trouble was there where too many little small towns that only wanted two or three covers and flanges. and I had to drive and zig zag all over to little Podunk places and often unload those heavy suckers by hand. I would put three old car tires on the ground and roll them off into the tires.

Tim likes this.
  17. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yeah that was second thing I noticed (funny stuff, pulled the pan bolts, cracked it open then a moment of suspense, is it a 2 or 4 bolt? Close my eyes. Oh well here goes..). The rod pads are mirror finished for some reason, also I forget what the blue and pink paint means.

Pulled the cam this morning, stock lopo, no numbers, nylon timing gear. Looking like a used engine, albeit not that used, that someone threw some new exterior parts and chrome on.

I love working on old SB Chevys. I could have pulled this apart blindfolded. Maybe I'll do that putting it back together. :)

18. Deuces

Deuces

If your talking about the pink paint on the rods, they're probably from a Z/28 302 or LT-1 350 rods....:cool:

loudbang likes this.
  19. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

loudbang likes this.
  20. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

It's a Corvette mill. 1979, 195hp vesion. :)

Cast, thin parting line. Not sure what the idea is behind 4 bolt main and cast crank. What's with the little tit sticking out of the front throw?

loudbang likes this.