Register now to get rid of these ads!

1961 Pontiac Tempest NE Texas

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by justwondering, Sep 16, 2019.

1. justwondering

justwondering
    from NE Texas

About 3 years ago my father died and I have responsiblity for the estate.
    One of those things is a 1961 Pontiac Tempest Manual Shift 4-door sedan that had been sitting at my grandmother's house.

It has problems.

The torque tube is no longer attached to the back of the engine and has been bent. I don't know if the rope drive is still in it yet.
    Finding those two replacement parts is my major issue just now.

There was a place that specialized in Pontiac Tempest parts just up the road in Oklahoma, but it has closed down. I'm thinking this means I need to go the donor car route.

The body looks to be in good shape as does the seats, dash, gauges.
    I've pulled the plugs and been filling it with marvel oil to keep rust at bay.
    I've removed the red hornets' nests and all doors open/close (although 1 is worse than the rest).
    I've removed the ignition and had a key made.
    I'm contemplating how to pop the trunk from inside the trunk so I don't mangle the rear lock.
    Tires go flat but don't know if thats rubber or rims causing the problem.
    I've got an shop manual for it.. and have read it.
    Floor plans will need to be replaced but I understand I can use corvair pans and they will fit well.
    Paint is chalking off where it hasn't rusted off and headliner is dead.

Here are a few pictures.
    JW

IMG_2208.jpg IMG_2218.jpg IMG_2221.jpg IMG_2225.jpg IMG_2238.jpg
    IMG_2231.jpg

Oldioron likes this.
  2. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

If you take the back seat out you should be able to get into the trunk and turn the lock shaft. Be sure to shine a light in the trunk first as you never know what may be in there.

3. I happen to have one of those in my hoard. 4 cyl stick 4 door. complete car even has a title. I will sell it for $400.

4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

What’s the story on the Bronco, in that one pic?

Bones

Damaged1 and Old wolf like this.

5. If you remove the rear seat you can unbolt the latch using a 3/8" or 7/16" socket and about 4 feet of extensions. This does not take into consideration of what may be lurking within. (copperheads, opossums, bottles of fuming red fulminate of mercury, etc). There is a cross brace behind the seat which won't allow a normally configured person to crawl though.

...which reminds me...about 30 years ago there was someone around here who took a 4 door like this and painted

Old wolf likes this.
  6. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Hello JW I see you've made it....this is a great place if you own an older car.
    Tom
    Aka oldiron440