Register now to get rid of these ads!

HUBBA HUBBA my 32-4 Tudor tribute to Gramps

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Runnin shine, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X2...just a straight forward lathe job and then use it in your new Hotrod Dimpling service...;)...

A door width of those slots are visible correct?

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I had a thought to use the half of the die that pushes in and rig something up that could fit on the inside. The metal is really thin so it might not be difficult to manipulate.

Stogy the rocker panel welds over the holes. So no they are not visible. Don’t ask why I insisted on putting them in. I also need to weld a small strip along the lower edge to make it like a L channel.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why You ask...to go faster...Lighter even though it's behind the curtain...You are building it in an authentic manner...that's bragging rights;)

4. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    I was unhappy with myself when I rushed these on before to mount the quarters. I redid them this time around.
    [​IMG]
    This is not the green I will use on the interior.
    I finished the holes after a few alterations and smoothed out the weld on the corner/edge of the subrails.
    [​IMG]
    Oh and the body is back on the frame.
    I have to add on the remainder of the rear subrail portions. I also have to fabricate lower sections of the B-pillars that were rusted away to mount to the side of the subrail.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  5. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

The car(and garage) is no where near presentable. Even so I’m pretty darn excited about how the roof height might actually be down into “Lakes Sedans” territory now.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  6. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I hope Ryan will forgive me for going off topic again. This is not for braggadocio but rather I know a few of you get this.
    Early this year I picked up this tired RCA Victor projector external speaker unit to partially restore as a small guitar amp. I realized early on that my main guitar rig would never fit in the Tudor. I have been planning way in advance the trips I can look forward using this car for after all the hard work. Band practice is one that keeps coming up.
    [​IMG]
    My intentions were to slide a tube chassis in the back after stripping the black paint off to expose the tweed I could see under the crud. I have a few different 50s original Jensen speakers to try in it. I began removing the old black paint after disassembly. I hoped to make it look like a beat up version of this
    [​IMG]
    During my part searching I stumbled on this little 1993 Fender solid state practice amp.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I wanted one of these a little bit back when I’d see them advertised In periodicals of the day. 15 watts, cheap 8” speaker, and partical board construction. It was a tad too quite and “practicey” sounding or “boxy” when I got it so I went slightly crazy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I built a test larger cabinet based on a 55 Fender SuperAmp and ordered two different custom 10” speakers from Weber. Swapped the plastic knobs, input jack, power switch, and led light for glass jewel. Aged the parts and slid the solid state chassis in the pine enclosure. It sounded substantially better.
    Then I wrapped it in tweed, sprayed it in Lacquer and aged it a bit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It is awesome now and you know I’ve since had to add old vintage maroon/brown Daka-Ware knobs. Since it’s completion I haven’t touched my previous mentioned main amp not once. Now I wonder how well it will fit in the new heavy chop?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    slv63, brEad, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  7. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I like the Victor just because of the cast speaker grill. Ya sure do nice wood work, all I make out of wood is fires....

I have a couple of vintage cedar suitcases with the crappy stuck on vinyl I would like to see if I can restore to look somewhat respectable one day.

8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Matt I also have an incredible 40s tweed suitcase I carry my pedal board, chords, and what not in. I’ve only had a few practices with the current drummer. He almost got the “exit stage left even” when he attempted to break the ice/make a joke and rip on my suitcase. I kindly said it’s all part of my schtick but he clearly didn’t get it. I attempted to moderate the voices is my head I heard saying “gee what a looser” him of course not me, I’m simply the coolest on the scene daddio?
    Yes I have a retro esthetic but I don’t really play the style of music you hate at cars shows.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

It's not really retro though , more classic and classy.

And ya I can't stand car show music. Crank ZZ top, Halestorm, Volbeat, Alden and maybe some Sturgil and I'm happy.

10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

11. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Nice! FYI there was a Navarro intake for a 471 in the classifieds.

Are you running a 471 or a different blower?

12. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

371 the 4 is too big. It’s very inefficient at lower speeds and you need to slow it down to not over boost. I would like to push my luck at 8-9#s but will see.
    Navarro supposedly had 16#s with the 371 on his little destroked mill.

13. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

9#s will be lots! should be a whole lotta fun to get on the road.

14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

6# would be plenty but I will go the lower side of compression ratio. I am not afraid to spin a motor even if only mildly galavanting around. I don’t mean like 6k all day long I just mean getting it up in the midrange to low top end where it would be making boost. My rear tires are small, I have a 3:78 gear, the engine will be balanced, have good rods, billet mains and maybe a girdle.
    Did I mention I may run VP methanol? Runs cooler better for the boost and Flathead poor combustion chamber flame dispersion blah, blah, blah. Hell the oxygenated for my minibike is like $27 a gallon US.

I am not so egotistical that I would presume I could build the baddest 32 around. There are dozens upon dozens that I believe are cooler than this will be. But I am however attempting to build the baddest Tudor on the planet. At least in my eyes and it is mine after all. So it has the advantage of winning my choice cause I’ll have it blocking my view of other cooler cars anyway.

chryslerfan55, Tim, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  15. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Not the best day but did some fitting to the rear quarters. Mostly working on passenger side with attention to the lower 32 3w patch to bring it into proper position. It is not ready yet
    [​IMG]
    I put some effort on the rear subrail extensions but paused to think on it some.
    I secretly was a smidge concerned about how shortening the quarters would effect the visual relationship for proportions of the two side window openings. Well I’m really diggin it now. I don’t think it looks as stubby as a Vicky. Before I thought it looked too stretched out with all the chop.
    Lately my thoughts have turned to feeling bad about cutting original glass so much. I don’t have windshield glass. Ideally I will run across a used front glass. It’s important to me that all the glass looks old.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    chryslerfan55, brEad and Stogy like this.
  16. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Oh side funny. My son is standing looking into the passenger door opening. I notice his Mohawk is touching the bottom of the “drip” rail. He’s still 6 and not very tall so the car must be low enough I guess.

brEad and Tim like this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man you make my brain seem calm lol

Super stoked to see you making some consistent progress though. That’s got to feel great!

Runnin shine likes this.
  18. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I don’t know what you mean for the first topic?
    For the second. Hell yeah it feels great. But as per usual, I don’t want to have to stop for life. I would like to just lock myself in the garage until it is done but that’s not even partially realistic.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I feel ya. That’s why I like working at night. I might miss the sleep the next day but there’s deadline for a good chunk of hours

redzula and loudbang like this.
  20. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    Just fighting metal. This is the current A pillar lean back. It is 15 degrees more than stock I believe right now. It might have to go 2-3 more. I’m being extra thorough.
    [​IMG]
    This is my hole theme in the process. I shouldn’t have did this side free hand.

21. It'll be fine ... hand built ( !! ) ... but if in doubt, string & charcoal ... built the pyramids.

For us, chalk line & pencil marks. Easy enough. Looks good to me though.

chryslerfan55, Runnin shine and Stogy like this.
  22. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I moved it a few more degrees. Pictures don’t truly represent it well. The first position was safe and looked nice here in real life. Almost hard to notice that it was indeed moved. The new tilt is not that case at all. I may put it back 1 forward degree. I keep staring, walking around, staring, taking a break, and staring again. It makes me think of Hells Messenger with the bare metal. Luckily I have the ability to see through all the unfinished parts of header and door.
    [​IMG]
    @Stogy would you mind a quick photo clean up of this shot. It looks kind pudgy in this one. In person the chop looks way more aggressive. The window opening seems much smaller here in the flesh.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  23. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

[​IMG]
    This pic may help some of you visualize better.
    See how it looks really leaned back now. So maybe lean it forward 1 degree would be the sweet spot. I want it to look lakes racey. But I can get some of that with a angle chop as well.
    I haven’t ever got around to finishing the cowl because those big holes have help me get at the windshield body structure. After I reinforce the chop work I will fill the mess

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

RS6.jpg

RS4.jpg

:rolleyes:...the bead along the bottom of the door on a 34 runs up to the edge of the door factory and perhaps you're running it differently as the existing cowl bead seems lower than the door edge if you project it back...I just threw a hood on there for a different perspective...;)

chryslerfan55, brEad and Runnin shine like this.
  25. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Thanks bud!
    The rocker isn’t on yet(laying on floor) had to order weld through primer. Th lower cowl is 32 3w, the rockers are 33-34, and the lower quarter patches are 32 3w. The doors are missing about 2.5 from rust. I have a lower skin but only for the driver side right now. I have both inner door skin lower patches.
    The “34” body wants to “channel” at least a inch lower than a 32 3w on the frame at the doors and quarters. The cowl patches set a path for the rockers to easily follow. The 34 doors are taller than 32s I think in the main side panel section too.
    Another weird thing to deal with is that the front leading edge of the 33-34 suicide door is not a steep as a 32 3w. This makes the bottom front corner of the door run deeper into the cowl area. So at the widest point a 33-34 is a longer door. So the lower cowl belt line is shorter than a standard 32 3w by a couple inches.

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really share your enthusiasm for this adventurous exercise in melding of Henry's Finest together as they can certainly look awesome in a blend...

27. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I really like the pic with the hood on!

Wayatt did you make the rockers or buy them?

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  28. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I should’ve put the hood on( the photoshop doesn’t quite gel, no offense Stogy) but it’s up on a shelf. I was just concerned if the a-pillar looks too exaggerated. Looks good with the photoshop, thanks @Stogy. I’ve been looking it over most of the evening and morn.
    I like it here in person. Here it is finally starting to look pissed off. In pics it looks Husky clothes section. Truthfully I base these decisions on pictures I look at of other cars I like. I think I will struggle to see clearly until I can get it outside. I plan to roll it out in the street for the final critique. So I won’t fully commit the welding till I’m sure. I have no qualms with cutting it again to get it right. I want it to be rememberable and give ordinary school children nightmares. I may have said this a bunch all ready but the choppers and hot rods I was most drawn to as a kid looked like they’d cut you if ya got to close. Not from shoddy work but figuratively speaking, like come to life and kick your esophagus in!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Squint if you look at these.

I think the rockers are from Howell’s?

chryslerfan55, brEad, dumprat and 4 others like this.
  29. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Call it a "Haunting look"
    Like as in an image that will haunt your dreams . A good measure of a well designed hot rod. I can think of a few that come to mind. Hells messenger is one. That gow job T called "sinister" is another.

And I very much think you are on the right track.

30. It's been a while since I have checked in on what your up to and you have been kicking some butt duce! I am really liking it. The nice thing to me it is what I have had in my mind from the first thoughts as to where you would end up with this crazy build. I LIKE IT! Keep on doing what your doing... Been a great summer on my end as just driving the 3 window all over this land. Got over 30K on it now.