Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rear buggy spring setup,body leaning to one side

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by whitewallwilly, Sep 22, 2019.

1. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

I'm refitting the rear buggy spring to my model A coupe after painting the leaves ,I've noticed the body/chassis leaning to one side,I've measured from the ground up to the body on the left rear and right rear,,the body/chassis is around 1" lower on the L/H side,,
    My question is how do I level the body
    I thought I would ask here in case there is a real simple fix,
    My thoughts are to make a small wedge shaped steel plate an add it to the top of the spring pack
    ,or maybe tighten the r/h spring U bolt first and preload the right hand side of the spring,
    Anybody got any ideas,thanks in advance
    Cheers
    Pete
    IMG_6335.jpg

dana barlow likes this.
  2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Trey turning the entire pack 180 degrees and if that doesn't work turn each second spring 180 degrees?

pitman and dana barlow like this.
  3. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

You have one weak leaf , which one ? Only the “ Shadow “ can determine that one . Best is to do as stated start flipping them 180* and keep trying loading it after flipping , it will turn up and be fine . I had this issue on a Buddy’s 34 a while ago also .

4. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The spring clamp needs to be tightened up progressively across all four nuts. I kinda suspect you might know that as you've mentioned tightening up one side first, or maybe not?

Chris

5. rusty valley

rusty valley

clamp the main leaf in the vice with a straight edge in with it, dead center. now measure from spring eyes to straight edge, are both sides the same?

6. whitewallwilly

whitewallwilly

The spring is brand new,but hey that's not today that is nt to say there is a weak leaf amongst them
    I will do some checking as per all your comments
    Thanks

7. 31 Chopped Coupe

31 Chopped Coupe

I used a Posies reverse eye rear spring my Model A coupe and it leans to the drivers side about an inch. I call it the leaning tower of Posies. I plan to work it over this Winter after the weather gets cold and see if I can straighten it up a little. I know that I am not the only guy with this issue using Posies springs.

whitewallwilly likes this.
  8. 54BOMB

54BOMB

9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Just a thought, if it's leaning up or down on driver's side, is that with driver on board or static unloaded? If swapped 180 degrees then driver's side is higher when unloaded. When loaded and under compression, car should then be level at ride height with driver? Just don't carry a passenger and it'll remain level. ;)

10. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Is the spring bolt nut fitting in the hole in the cross member? I would check that. You could bend the long leaf a little more and put a more of an arch on the side that's low. I tried to bend the second leaf in my press, on my front end and it snapped and flew across the room. Stick to bending the one with the eyes. The others may be tempered harder and not as pliable.
    If all else fails you might be able to shim it. Possible someone else on here who has done this can confirm this procedure, I have only done it on 32 front cross member, which doesn't have that hump at the top of the member. If you want to try it, the 4x4 guys use aluminum shims at the leaf springs to adjust the drive shaft pinion angle when they put lift kits in. They come in two's. You would need to cut it down and redrill the center hole.

11. A Boner

A Boner

The archaic design and manufacturing of leaf springs gave reason for the invention and usage of coil-overs. Just saying.

12. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

I have the same issue with the spring(s) I have. Since both were new when the car was rebuilt (yes, posies reverse eye springs) I can’t say which is the issue but this thread is helpful in locating the problem.

Cliff Ramsdell