Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Went to a car show today....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 396/425, Sep 14, 2019.

1. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Ya want more young guys into early style cars? Go kick your local 70-80 year old hoarder in the nuts!
    Greed and guys holding onto parts until they die and their kids sell them for scrap is what is killing the hot rod scene.
    This stuff is not an investment, it's supposed to be cheap fun.

2. error404

error404
    from CA

I'm 36, I've always loved hotrods and vehicles from the 1930s, I finally own one now. Plenty of folks my age love these vehicles. I don't think they will go away.

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Like someone posted earlier, it comes full circle eventually. There just might be less around. Only thing I see as expanding maybe fiberglass replicas.

4. All the other cars I have restored have been 60-70’s era. This 36 Plymouth is my first pre war era car I have owned. I love thinking about all the history this car has seen. I truly love curvy things, and this car has them. I’m 51 and chomp at the bit to work on it. The only problem is working 60 hrs a week.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and AHotRod like this.
  5. AHotRod

AHotRod

I agree, my 33 year old Son sold off his '30 A Coupe project because the reality of time to build was way greater than he could devote, not to mention cost.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  6. It's a good question. I do see the younger guys that really like the old HAMB type cars, and even the 50-60's cars. But the reality is they can afford a vehicle that is 15-20 years old which puts all of the previous mentioned vehicles out of reach. I grew up in 70's with musclecars relatively cheap and affordable for even a high school kid working a the local gas station. Now the same equivalent job is buying a 2000-2009 car. There just is not the available decent starter cars that we used to have. Sure the current kids can buy a super project and spend a lot of time and pay-as-you-can building an older car. But reality is they can have better success buying that 2000-2009 Mustang/Camaro/Challenger or ricer type car.
    Sure as my income got better and my car skills improved I was able to get older cars and more what I liked. I still have OT 68 GTO that I have owned for nearly 40 years now and was my first car. I also have several older hot rods and am fortunate that my hard work and skills am able to have multiple older cars.
    As a corollary to this, it is now getting where many of the Model T and Model A restored cars are being sold by the estates of a car guy that has passed, and those are now great condition starter cars you can sometimes pick up for a good price. Still a stretch for a high school or early 20's kid maybe, but not out of line for someone that has the passion for older cars.

7. A Boner

A Boner

With high HP cars Detroit is selling lately, it's easier pay monthly payments than it is to build a hot rod....and it's instant gratification too!
    Same thing happened in the 60's with the muscle cars from Detroit.....hot rods became less popular for a while, anyway.
    Just like climate change.....everything changes.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting conversation. I love the HAMB as much as the next guy but let's be honest, as HAMBers we're looking through a pretty narrow window. A ton of bitching hot rods in the 70's that we ignore (or adore off site). A kid falls in love with Lil John and guess what? Not welcome here. Just saying . . . .

God knows we have beaten this 1965 horse to death, please let's not start . . . I simply wish to highlight the fact that the HAMB window gets smaller and smaller every year . . . what might be considered Kool to a kid might very likely come from the other 75% of the car world.

9. Yeah, me too. My kid [45] has had a 49 ford coupe since he was 15 but no flathead for him. His has a custom made road racer suspension, 1200 hp twin turbo 427 LS with richmond 6 speed and a braced 9 inch with giant disc brakes and 19 inch wheels.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I really like the look of that car.
    I’m not sure if the picture will be allowed to stay posted however when you consider that previously an automotive journalist member had the pictures of his very nice 55 Chevy wagon deleted simply because it had 17” wheels.
    A shame really as he had written some really interesting stories on his road trip adventures.

jnaki and chryslerfan55 like this.
  11. guy1unico

guy1unico

If you buy the best there is always a market for you.
    There is a person out there looking to better their collection.
    I don't really care what age they are.
    The market is huge...not at your local car show...sorry.

12. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Knghtcadi, if anyone calls your '46 a rat rod they ought to get slapped till their piss turns purple...

That's a nice looking car. The '46 to '48 post-war Fords can often be found pretty reasonably priced and can make a great entry-level car for anyone who wants to get into the hobby.

Yeti Man and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. Good point....photo deleted.

wide34 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. chriscarp1950

chriscarp1950

The problem is the young guys can't afford these cars anymore. All the tv shows out there have people thinking every rusty car or truck is worth tons of money.

Greaser Bob, 31hotrodguy and AHotRod like this.
  15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Took these last weekend at the local fall show. I had to take the wife's OT 88 F Bird as my car is still not back on the road. Grandson wanted to look around at the cars, this is the one that caught his eye. Owner insisted he get in and check it out, so I carefully helped him in, and he loved it! You can see the look in his eyes....someday! I'm thinking I need to pick up a T body and frame when I get through with mine and together build his dream car. DSCF1289.JPG DSCF1290.JPG

Jet96, AHotRod, Tony Martino and 3 others like this.
  16. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

well no doubt that the old guys are leaving and the young ones are left to carry on? well i think its time for the old ones to step up! next time your at a show, and you have a young one, no matter how old he is, get him in your car! spark an interest! i have had a lot of kids in mine! and i have to say, i have turned a few into gear heads! and the dads like taking pictures of the kids in the hotrods. incourage pictures, ask the kids if they want to sit in your car. you wont believe how many smiles you get! i have been doing this for about 15 or 20 years now, an its been rewarding. dont worry abour the finger prints, they will wipe off. i have one kid that i know is now building hotrods just from looking out of the windshield of mine! and hes building some bonniville stuff! i even know of a kid thats got a garage full of old cars, after sitting in a 32 ford sedan hotrod, over 55 years ago! :cool::rolleyes:

hans mercman and 31hotrodguy like this.
  17. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Go to the hot rod hill climb in Co. Plenty of young guys into traditional hot rods! Also lots vintage guys

Jet96 likes this.
  18. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Isn't this what hot rodding is all about, having an older car and fixing it up to be both
    attractive and a badass running car? When did rodding take the turn to Boredom City?
    Don't get me wrong, there are a million cars throughout the country that have a great
    look and are attention getters on that Sunday morning drive to the car show, but many
    of them are no more "hot rod" than a Corolla with a Pep Boys muffler and bolt on trunk
    wing. What's going on now with the "traditional" movement is really no different than the
    antique / restored thing of the early '70s..."Don't bring your hot rod to our antique meets,
    there's no room for them here".

I'm not suggesting that the H.A.M.B. change either its focus or age requirements. I am
    suggesting that members open their minds to what's going on around them. I'm hoping
    that youngsters never get over speed. If that means they buy an '85-'93 Fox bodied
    Mustang, so be it. They can get a roller for 5,000, change the heads, cam, exhaust, gearing,
    improve the suspension and still have money for school, girlfriends and savings accounts.
    If there are those, though, that want to enter the trad world, more power to them. They're
    just going to have a more difficult, and expensive, road to follow.

CS 068 - Copy.JPG

AHotRod likes this.
  19. j3harleys

j3harleys

What he said.

20. ned5049

ned5049

One of my daughters wants to inherit my Merc. She's 34 and I got the car when she was a few months old. In fact, she was with me when I picked it up ! The other three have no interest in it.
    Saturday night drove it to Wendys for a burger. Three teenagers walked by and didn't notice it. I remember being that age and being all over a car like that. Actually, still am !

21. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 2.35.57 PM.png
    Regarding cars not selling -- I've been trying to sell my Henry Steel deuce roadster with history back to 1947 for a few months now -- no takers at 60K. Not street roddy or dated either.

22. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

^Also very few guys under 50 are going to even entertain the idea of buying a toy for 60K.
    The cars are not worth that much anymore.

A younger guy can buy a new sideby side a pair of seedoo's and an older Harley for less money.

AHotRod and chopndrop like this.
  23. wicarnut

wicarnut

Am I the only one here that goes out of my way to talk to younger guys at car shows. ( Nobody in my group does, but now some of these kids come over to BS with me and then they say, nice kids)) They usually have Tuners, Rat Rod, Old School, 70's/80's cars. They are always interesting and generally grateful and appreciative that an "Old Fart" car guy took the time to be nice and make them feel welcomed, I remember when I was a kid and some senior showed me respect and some courtesy. I do hear from younger guys how they like the old cars but can not get up the funds to which I tell them, drive/fix what you can afford and enjoy the hobby, your time will come as most of old guys were in your shoes at one time. If it comes up in conversation, I do mention to get their work/career life in order so you can afford the "Toys" I've had people that made a difference in my life just by some random comment/kindness and I hope I've influenced someone in a positive way as 1 positive wipes out 10 negatives IMO way to much negativity.

boy_named_sue, Thor1 and arkiehotrods like this.
  24. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

Yep, that's a real issue. Also it seems there is less and less appreciation for a "Henry steel" original deuce. A nice Brookville bodied car seems to sell for around the same price. My point is, there seems to be no "perceived value" to originality and history with the younger collectors.

wicarnut likes this.
  25. boy_named_sue

boy_named_sue
    from Dayton, OH

I just thought I’d toss some positivity on this thread. I put the ‘54 up on Facebook for sale. In 24 hours I have an inordinate amount of replies already of people saying “looking for an old truck to build with dad/grandpa...”.

Nobody’s bought it yet, but it’s making me smile to read that over and over. Having recently sold 2 modern vehicles (both fairly priced in good condition, one a sports car), this old truck is making way more of a stir than either of those.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

wicarnut and Thor1 like this.