Register now to get rid of these ads!

mechanical clutch linkage pics please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by len_m, Apr 22, 2007.

1. len_m

len_m
    from wpg,can

i did a couple searches on here and found that most people like using hydraulic setups but i'd like to use mechanical in my mdl a. i have a set of 47 ford pedals and i made a little swivel piece that attaches to the frame. i tried tacking some little brackets on the swivel and connecting the pedal to the swivel. i can't seem to get enough "throw" out of my setup. what am i doing wrong? would longer brackets work? just kinda looking for pics of setups that work.

also how much does an average release bearing have to travel in order to work? 3/4 inch?

thx alot

len

2. pistinbroke

pistinbroke

Good question!! I am running into the same problems with my model A. It seems that the clutch throw out arm will either travel to short, or it will not come back far enough. Are you using a stock frame? Mine is a home made 2x3 box frame.

3. len_m

len_m
    from wpg,can

yes im using a stock frame.

4. 40Tudor

40Tudor

I'm using a cable setup, so no help there, but in my discussions with the guys at McCleod you need a minimum of .050" clearance between the disk and flywheel when released.

Throwout travel is dependent on a lot of things, but they said to plan on about 1/2" at the throwout bearing for a 12" diaphragm pressure plate.

In my case with a 2:1 at the fork, I need 1" movement in the cable. That's a lot for the stock 40 Ford pedal, so I made a longer lever on the pedal for the cable to attach to. Of course the pedal effort gets heavier, too.

5. pistinbroke

pistinbroke

Any one else have some thoughts for us? If he is in the same boat I am, I am sure he's starting to pull his hair out as well.How about some pic's. That always helps.

6. ruralrod

ruralrod

any other leads? i'm curious too.

7. Kruzer63

Kruzer63

Well i am not too sure if different clutches require different stroke, but i had a hydraulic set up in my 53 pontiac that worked for years, then i put in a new clutch, and it went from needing 3/4 inch throw, which was max on my slave, to now needing 1 inch of thro... well that posed serious problems and lots of headache. So i changed it over to a bell crank set up and never went back to hydraulic again. So now building something with less room with my 28 model A sedan, I decided to hell with hydraulics and i am not gonna fight that no more so I took a lil longer but i have figured out a bell crank mechanical linkage set up that works and has plenty of adjustment... scroll about half way down thru my pics to see the clutch set up pics.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174749

8. pecker head

pecker head

2A988ABC-D643-4840-B12B-AD0ADC7949AB.jpeg F1 Pedals with a 1/4” thick tab welded on bottom. Will have 3/8” rod ends on right hand and left hand threads on 3/8” rod between tab and clutch fork.

9. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been down this road before and learned a few lessons! I made my own pedal box so I could use my 47 Ford clutch and brake pedals as they were what I had on hand also. Didn't cut or shorten the pedals at all but with my configuration I couldn't push the clutch in with both feet!! After getting some education here on the HAMB about pedal ratios and so on I decided to get the pedal set up from a 1950 ford F1. Fab up a mount for it and then use almost the same set up as came in the stock vehicle, the cross shaft type, with some minor adjustments. once I changed to the new set up the clutch pushes very easily. Here is a couple of pics of the set up. Have driven the car around the hood and it works pretty well so far. Will swap out the all thread when I get a moment...

20170226_200600.jpg
    20170226_200519.jpg 20170404_142933.jpg

akoutlaw and pecker head like this.