Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford starter relay

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cederholm, Sep 21, 2019.

1. cederholm

cederholm

I'm sure this is a VERY stupid question, but anyway. 1952 8BA flathead motor, stock starter, new 12v ford starter relay, new 12v batt. I want to use a push-button starter on the ground side of the circuit. Does mater which small post I use for what? I plan to run hot to one post, then run a switch between the second post and ground.

Does this make sense? Is that correct?

Thanks,
    Carl

Boneyard51 likes this.
  2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

The aftermarket new replacement parts industry is or was selling two different styles of solenoids.
    One operates off the grounded side, the other operates off the hot side.
    I bought the wrong one many years ago off of Macs.
    Check with your supplier.

cederholm likes this.
  3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Use the stock ford relay , but it needs 12 volts to excite. Use one of those little four prong relays and excite the ground on it, then relay 12 volts back to the Ford relay. You cannot excite the Ford relay with a ground direct. The other little terminal on the Ford relay is to put 12 volts to the coil while starting.

Bones

4. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Older style relays must be grounded as stated . I terminal is to supply full 12v to ignition while in start mode only , S terminal is 12v from IGN sw or START button to charge the coil to activate the starter relay and send 12 v to starter . 6 v relay is wired the very same as 12v .

cederholm likes this.

5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Another way you could do it using the stock relay is to mount the relay “ insulated” with plastic washers and stuff. Then run a wire from the battery post to the “ s” terminal. Then run a wire from the base of the relay to a switch that will connect to ground.

Bones

cederholm likes this.
  6. clem

clem

Is the stock relay not insulated ?
    I have a similar set up to what OP is asking, and my starter button connects to earth, and other end to what I thought was a original type solenoid, - has a manual push button underneath.

7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

You'd have to use plastic bolts too because if a metal bolt touched the bracket and the fender/firewall, it would instantly be on, not good on an already running engine!

Boneyard51 and cederholm like this.
  8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

IIRC, (and I DO) the 6 volt Ford solenoids were excited by ground. 12 volt solenoids are wired to be excited by power (12 V) to the 'S' terminal, and the 'I' terminal is to the coil. (to supply 12 V while cranking)
    You can use a relay to provide 'ground', or to provide power...the wiring of it is optional.

FlatJan, Boneyard51 and cederholm like this.
  9. cederholm

cederholm

Very helpful info all. Using the Bosh style "box" relay for a ground switch seems very logical to me and leave the Ford relay to act as designed. I do hear you "isolate the relay" guy to tho, also an interesting solution but with more of a chance for a short I think.

Regardless, you guys have opened my eye as to how these things works and it's appreciated.

~ Carl

Boneyard51 likes this.
  10. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

You ask about Ford Relays , there are non grounding relays that do not need to be grounded as Ford starter relay does . Research this if you want the same look to operate differently .

cederholm likes this.
  11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I use Standard motor relays all the time , and they are amerdexterious and continuous duty. That is you can use them with either hot or ground to excite them and they can stay “ on” 24/7. But they don’t have the “ s “ terminal for points ignition. Put electronic ignition it and it will work perfectly.
    During my career, I always like to make things do tricks... and used a variety of relays to accomplish this!

Bones

12. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I believe it is the "S" terminal for the starter and the "I" terminal for the points ignition.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

You are right! Never post after partying all night! I knew it was one of those buggers!

Bones

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  14. clem

clem

09F88882-DCF4-47C7-A0A1-F131687CCBE5.jpeg So this is what I have, negative wire to starter switch in a 12 volt system.

cederholm and Boneyard51 like this.
  15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

That would be the cleanest way of doing it! But the OP said he was going to use the stock 12 volt relay! Borg Warner makes all kinds of relays tailored to do any job imaginable!
    I had forgot about the ground excited 12 volt aftermarket relay! Good post!

Bones

deathrowdave and cederholm like this.
  16. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I have more than once used the stock 6V, ground excited, starter solenoid as it is designed for use on 6V vehicles on 12V after converting vehicle to 12 volts. No problem whatsoever, but considering the Chinese made crap we';re getting these days, if I did this now I'd try to find an OEM solenoid.

17. rusty valley

rusty valley

i like the ones like Clem shows, with the button on it so you can manually trigger the starter from under the hood.

18. clem

clem

Yes, he said he was using a new 12 volt relay, ( I’ve always called them solenoids), but a 12 volt is what I thought I had !
    It is only since reading this thread that I have discovered that mine is most likely a 6 volt.
    I’m sure that my starter is a 6 volt, yet rest of car is 12 volts.
    Only owned this car for 14 years........... still learning........

Boneyard51 likes this.
  19. rusty valley

rusty valley

i call them solenoids too, a 6v original ford unit with the button works fine on 12 volts. they are available new too

clem likes this.
  20. forty1fordpickup

forty1fordpickup

This is a 12 volt started solenoid/relay that I am using in the pickup. It is actuated by grounding the wire at the small terminal vis the push button on thr dash. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  21. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

solenoids and relays are terms used interchangeably in cars referring to the device that starts the starter. But a solenoid actually moves something , like the Chevy starter. A relay is just a switch, like on Fords. Use either term, folks will know what your talking about. The Ford type relay, as stated in this thread can come wired many different ways. The one I used most on the jobs I did, was the universal Standard Motors Products relay that could be excited either by 12 volts or ground, and was “ continuous “ rated. Very heavy duty. Most relays are only intermittent duty, and will burn out if left on for a period of time. Such as a battery cut off switch.
    Your six volt starter will work just fine...even better ....on 12 volts. I routinely ran six volt starter on 12 volt tractors with success for many years.

Bones

cederholm and clem like this.
  22. sunbeam

sunbeam