Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Muffler Suggestion - Straight 6?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HuskerNation, Sep 13, 2019.

1. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

has anyone ran the split headers on a 235 ? just wondering if they sound the same as fentons . also does anyone think it matters where the mufflers are located ?

2. Not to me, Nothing beats the sounds of hot six!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    1low52, belair, 6-bangertim and 3 others like this.
  3. cederholm

cederholm

I ran split Fenton headers and two Porter mufflers on my '53 Chevy 235. LOVED the sound! I plan to run Porters again on my flathead coupe.

~ Carl

4. my ole 49 Ford Business Coupe, ran a Red's Header with straight dual exhaust out the back.... it sounded great... but the my neighbor hated it … ;)

5. Max Anderson

Max Anderson

Definitely do a split manifold. This sound you get from this is more than worthwhile. If your not using Porter Mufflers, you don't know what your missing. Once I started using them on my cars I never used anything else.

Truck64 likes this.
  6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Sometimes, if I can't drive it for whatever reason, I'll start it ... just to listen to it. Sure, I'll try to have some legitimate justification ready to go - "have just set the valve lash, retorques on the cylinder cover, and new fuel pump, better check for leaks blah blah"

7. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

PORTER STEEL PACKS!!!

Truck64 likes this.
  8. I had wondered about this, So a straight six firing order 1,5,3,6,2,4 if you paired 1-6, 5-2, 3-4 would sound better than 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 right?

Would the sound change if the 3 pipes were joined into 1?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. To be honest, I have heard the tri-y setup but I haven't run it myself. But yes, the paired 3 are usually joined into 1 so all the exhaust pulses blend. It's not so much that it sounds "better" as it does less raw. There are plenty of folks who prefer the courser, raw sound of duals on their 6.
    If you just have to have duals on your straight 6, an H-pipe mellows the exhaust note in a similar way. It's sort of a hybrid sound between the tri-y and the all-n-one.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    lothiandon1940 and thebearded1! like this.
  10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

For those that do not like the sound of inline sixes I'd like to submit vids of some of my cars. Do you think they sound bad? Check the first one at the 3:00 minute mark. BTW it has special straight cut cam gears to mimic the old school Offy whine.

These two are both mine. My neighbor driving the white RPU beat me.

When I start this baby in the pits folks tell me they thought it was a Top Fueler.

11. Have you run that car in the last video at Cecil Dragway? I'm pretty sure I've seen it before and love it, sounds great! There is also another one I have seen a bunch the is similar color and straight 6 "vain Glory Racing". That one sounds great too

12. Cutlas Fan

Cutlas Fan

As a kid I had a glasspack on a 261, I liked the sound and it was actually quieter at cruise than a stock muffler (less resonance). My buddy had a 235 with a split manifold and glasspack and it sounded sweet, just like a Jag!

13. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

bearded1, Not run at Cecil. Thompson Ohio and Quaker City is as far East as I have been. While none of those cars had a muffler system, I posted the vids to show that a six CAN sound badass.
    My recommendation for a six with a street exhaust system is to first start with a split exhaust system, as several have already suggested.
    Next, decide if you want a more "racy" sound or a more "mellow" sound. If you want a racy sound use two pipes all the way back.
    If you want mellow, install a crossover pipe as close to the exhaust manifolds as practical.
    I have found Stainless Steel Flowmaster SERIES 50 will be mellow without being too noisy while cruising. I don't care for the louder Series 40s.
    Another thing I plan to try is a dual in / dual out muffler. I think it will give a rather sporty sound without the need for a crossover pipe, Essentially the muffler is the crossover pipe.

HuskerNation, Good luck with your project. Post video of the final result.

14. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

The KEY to good sounding duals is full-length pipes, and where the glass-packs are located - the futher back from the engine, the quiter, less aggresive it sounds. Turbo mufflers don't sound near as good as glass-packs, but might be OK for a single exhaust.

As a kid, I built my own 235 exhaust from the long-tube Clifford headers back with flex-pipe, '60 Chevy truck mufflers. They were a stright-through design, but can't recall the length - maybe 30". Sounded pretty good for having short pipes exiting in front of each of the rear wheels on my '53 1/2-ton.

I love the Smithy's on my 235-powered '57 150, after blowing-out the cherry bombs after 5 years (exactly what they are warrentied for). I've been told the Porters and Brockmans have a more mellow tone.

Robert, what cam are you running in your 261 - sounds GREAT! Can you share the specs on it?

thebearded1! and tb33anda3rd like this.
  15. My most recent idea was to mimic the exhaust like the early formula 1 cars, which would have a split system that comes into 1 pipe like the Maserati 250F below. For this 6-2-1 setup I figured I would use 1 5/8 primaries and end with a single tube of 2.5 or 3" but not sure what size to use on the 2 pipes coming into the final single pipe, any suggestions?

I still am tossing around with the idea of just running the 2 pipes all the way back with maybe an h pipe to balance them out. This would probably be 1 5/8 primaries into 2" all the way back. With either setup if I need it a little quieter I will make a baffle similar to your champ car build. (really awesome build by the way!)

My car is a early t bucket style roadster with a late 60s Dodge 225 slant six and I'm working on making it look a lot like the old 30s race cars.
    [​IMG]

lothiandon1940 and Flat Six Fix like this.
  16. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

ive heard that a straight 8 split 3 and 5 sounds awesome but never heard one

17. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Split exhaust and glasspacks on the 250 in my GMC. Love the sound

18. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

Just my 2cents worth- I had a 60`s Plymouth Valiant with a straight 6 that ran a 6-3-1 manifold and a big glass pack silencer ,around 8" dia and 24" long ,it had a mellow tone but at decent revs livened up a fair bit but not loud enough that it was unbearable sitting in the car.

thebearded1! likes this.
  19. 6sally6

6sally6

maybe, if you can make it sound like this HAMB'er pick up!!
    Now THIS is sweeeeet!
    6sally6

1low52 and Shadow Creek like this.
  20. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

^^^^ Holy Crap! That sounds amazing

21. I saw that truck at Jalopyrama but never saw it with the hood open :(

22. HuskerNation

HuskerNation

Well it’s been a few months since I posted my original question but I thought I would let everyone know what I did & attach a video of the sound. So I figured I would remove the muffler & put a straight pipe in its place. It sounds pretty good considering the cam is totally stock.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Jet96, belair and tb33anda3rd like this.
  23. v8flat44

v8flat44

Had a 55 Ford I block 6. Split it 2/4....guys said it sounded like a 348 Chevy. Cops didn't like it much.....

24. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

If you don't run glass packs, think of that 50 horse power you'll be losing...LOL

25. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I ran a stainless header with straight pipe on The Peter beater..232 AMC 6cyl with a Demon 2bbl on a Clifford intake and a BIG cam. It was awy too loud but damn fun!!
    23052-1224350258-2417958f3780726486eb7b02284c64d3.jpg

Jet96 likes this.
  26. Crankhole

Crankhole

I had a '60 Comet wagon w/144 awhile back with no muffler and straight pipe down under the passenger side.It sounded like a room full of lawn mowers. I added a single 30" Smithy and it sounded like a room full of lawnmowers under water. Not great, but better. Put a faux exhaust tip on the driver side to get the look.
    Sold it.

tiredford likes this.