Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Car cranks and runs fine, give it gas and it dies - UPDATE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Start the car up.
    Get yourself a small container of gas in a spray bottle.
    Increase rpm and spray some gas down the throat and see if it truly is a gas flow issue.

Randall and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Hey HOTRODPRIMER...have him check the voltage to the coil. If he switched to pertronix, make sure he bypassed the coil feel wire before the pink resistor wire right by the ignition switch. My dad's falcon ran like this until we ran a proprietary wire from before the pink resistor part of the ignition to coil wire.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. RmK57

RmK57

I dont think you can put the bowl gasket on backwards. The two alignment pins on the metering block are offset to prevent you from doing this.
    If it wiped out the cam it should be making a clattering sound from gaining valve lash.

Maybe have a look at the accelerator pump diaphragm. they get hardened up from sitting with ethanol gas in them.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. Guys, everything I have told you is second hand and I have shared with that, I will know more tomorrow. HRP

5. sunbeam

sunbeam

Hook up a timing light If the light goes out you know is ignition. I don't think this is the problem I did have a customer bring me a truck that would idle but not run it was the valve springs. A shop did a valve job on a high milage 300 six head and did not check the springs they were so weak that they would only control the valves to about 1500rpm. I hit up the shop that did the head and got we checked the springs and they were all the same height

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. Throw the Damn Pertronix in the Trash.where it belongs>>>

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. The car does not have a pertronix ignition system. HRP

8. Ignition timing needs double checked. Might start with vacuum gauge.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. boy_named_sue

boy_named_sue
    from Dayton, OH

Got mine fixed. Turned out to be a weak spark from a loose ignition wire. Main wire from the battery had popped out of its holder in the clip and wasn’t making good contact. Got it straightened out, reclipped, and runs and revs like a champ.

Seems that a little resistance from a bad connection can significantly weaken the spark. Good luck on your hunt!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. We were unable to get together today and work on the Comet, I'll update when we get the car repaired. HRP

bonneville bones likes this.
  11. bonneville bones

bonneville bones

Interested to hear the outcome, good luck

Sent from my dumb phone

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Gary is the only original charter member of our car club, we affectionately call him Pop's.

Today he was attending to something far more important than cars. HRP

Deuces likes this.
  13. OK, it's been a while and we had a chance today to go back over everything we had done previously, Gary had tried another carburetor and there was no difference, he checked the gas line and filter, the fuel pump works fine so everything fuel related has been ruled out.

So we started rechecking ignition, all the connections are tight, Gary still had the old module so we removed the new one and installed the original, just trying to cover al the bases.

Cranked the car over and it fired right up, give it gas and it dies.

I had a list of things you guys suggested in my pocket so we started looking at the ones we had not tried, one thing was left and it just didn't seem like it could be the problem, after all it was brand new piece, so we dug through the replaced parts on the work bench and again installed a old part that had been on the engine previously.

Turned the ignition key and the car fired right up. gave it the gas and it didn't die, the car ran great.

So I had to look back and find out who suggested we check the coil, who expects a brand new coil to have a week spark, it was purchased at NAPA, not like it came from wallmart.

Both these guys were right. HRP

14. Thank's to all for offering your suggestions, it was a process of elimination. HRP

dana barlow, Deuces and Stu D Baker like this.
  15. New parts
    It means they haven’t not proven themselves yet.

16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Damn, that's funny Danny. That was the problem with mine too. I had a points coil on an electronic ignition, didn't work right, apparently they are different, ohms or something. I tried checking mine with a voltmeter but couldn't figure out what I was doing. Mine would run like hell above 2000 rpm, below that it would die out.

17. The coil we used id the same one he installed on the car years ago when he built it, the new coil was what was faulty. HRP

dana barlow and Jalopy Joker like this.
  18. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

He just ment new parts are junk too, until they prove themselves.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

A good reason to buy parts from wrecks in the junkyard; at least they were working when the crash happened!;)

HOTRODPRIMER and 56don like this.
  20. Early on I bought a lot of parts from my local NAPA. Should have walked away after they hit me with a $100 press charge to install new axle bearings. Almost every other single item has failed me, brake light switch in a year, solenoid in the same time frame, ignition switch will work if I use a little WD40 on my key now and then. There are a couple of other items I can't recall at the moment.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. Yeah ,,, who would have thought new parts could be faulty. I believe that’s what you said.

Sadly but true new parts Have been a crapshoot for the last 10 years. For a diagnostic and troubleshooting problem the assumption that new parts are indeed good must be thrown out the window and replaced with the fact that new parts only have not proven themselves good or bad yet. Once you can relearn that thought process the easier things will go for you. I didn’t make the world I’m just living in it man that’s the way it is.

Desoto291Hemi and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad you got her figure it out, Danny.

Brand new electrical parts that turn out to be bad... that's ridiculous. No testing by the manufacturer. No quality control.

Seems like there might be a niche for someone who could make quality electrical parts.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Good to hear Gary now has his Comet running like it should. Danny, you are to be commended for helping get it sorted out. It's what friends do for each other that make all the difference. Two thumbs up from me, sir!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. We would have figured it out eventually but with all the help here we were able to check things of the list pretty quickly. HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  25. hi hrp, glad to here you guys got that worked out. I have followed your wagon and looked through your photo album quite a few times. have a question, when you insulated the roof on your wagon did it have that paper / tar on the ceiling? if it did did you remove it or just leave it alone. i'm sure it is probably full of asbestos. If amyone else has done this maybe they have some ideas to remove it. I'm working on a 56 country sedan. thanks