Register now to get rid of these ads!

... spam question. Block IP addresses possible ??

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by kidcampbell71, Sep 21, 2019.

1. I know we're as sick of the spam questions, as we are the spam itself, BUT ....

Is there an option as moderator, or site owner, or whomever does the coding for the site ... to individually block the attacking ISP ADDRESS ? Or addresses ?

Just wondering. I know everyone, does their best. I didn't know if their was a fire walling tool possibility, that maybe is being overlooked in the forum software. Or if even that possibility even exists.

I hit "report" when I see the need to, but as usual, the account overwhelms the board, or new accounts get created. Hoping most of these clowns don't have new ISP addresses ...

In any event, if dumb question, or repeated question .... APOLOGIES.

Thanks a bunch, guys. Take care !!!

Jamie

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. ...............I'm not very tech savvy, but my guess would be that as soon as one of their ISPs is blocked they immediately acquire another one. It's like "Whack-A-Mole".:mad:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. @lothiandon1940 Yes sir. I feel a bit whacky if somewhere on the HAMB software, it shows me "patiently waiting" to personally, double zap a dozen spam threads.

< tap > < tap > < tap >

o_OMod : this kc71 user is a nut bag.

:) Me : < Batman ! Batman ! Batman ! nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh ..... >

4. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

These Spams are automated to sending thousands to hundred of thousands per day to thousands of Websites.

The HAMB has been around for almost 20 Years so naturally gets hit a lot.

The HAMB Spam filters blocks thousands but a few always make it through and we Zap them as they come up or reported.

Spam and Robo Calls ..... just a minor irritation in life.

FlyFisher and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. ... but they still have to sign up for a MEMBER ACCOUNT. You know what I mean ? It's not just like an email inbox.

If they have to sign up first, we should have an IP address, from that targeted individual, computer, or device ... that signed up as a member. Meaning, you could block specific ISP's for those member accounts.

I wouldn't ask, if this was some site, without a membership sign up platform. You can't block an inbox. You should be able to block an identifiable IP.

No disrespect meant, CCC. It just struck me, if it was always the same entity ... the path should go back to its origin ... as a member.

In any event, thank you.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

They probably use one of those vpn [virtual private network] deals that makes the isp invisible. No way to defend against that as the vpn will show it's coming from wherever they want to show it coming from, and probably is constantly changing it. Like Cob said, a minor irritation we have to put up with. That is until somebody comes out with a way to fight it, then the spammers will change their tactics to get around that.

7. I am unsure about the hamb but with my limited knowledge & being the Administrator of the '54 Ford Club of America I will obliterate on what I have learned, yes the spammers have to register to a site and some sites have a captuaha that is a type of challenge-response system designed to differentiate humans from robotic software programs. they are used as security checks to deter spammers and hackers from using the forum to post their unwanted spam

The majority of these are detected when they register and the IP is banned or blocked but unfortunately these guys are sneaking and some will get through.

When the spam is posted and we the members report it the moderators delete/ban the member, this also includes this user IP, the problem is there are billions of IP's available to these spammers.

I can honestly say as big as the hamb is the moderators take care of the problems almost as soon as they are reported. HRP

8. Some of the VPS ( virtual private servers ) are in on it. Spam processors hiding as secure server services, here in the U.S. ... actually help produce spam. Such as these clowns :
    • Psychz Network
    • Secure Servers :rolleyes:
    • VolumeDrive
    • Wholesale Internet Inc
    • EGI Hosting
    • Krypt Technologies
    • HostNOC
    • OVH
    • Peg Tech Inc
    Most of these are USA based low-cost VPS, but are also Chinese spammers. The VPS predominantly used on the west coast, especially in California ... offer the lowest latency to China, compared to something in the midwest (Dallas, Chicago) or east coast.

Virtually all forum spam & blog comment spam, originate in:

China, Vietnam, Russia, Ukraine, India, and Pakistan.

More than 1/3rd of all forum spam comes from China.

So ... unless this site targets people from China, there’s no need to cater to them. You can safely block them from participating here.

I've never actually seen one Chinese HAMB'r here. Have y'all ???

They can still see and read the site — they just can't comment or post.

Think about that:

Reducing at least 33% of spam by blocking China alone. Blocking Russia & Ukraine cuts another 18% ... at 9% each.

So three countries, eliminated, reduces spam by at least 50%.

So that's why I ask, about blocking specific IP addresses.

1) to home in on consistently spamming IP addresses, from different member names, but same IP.

2) to completely eliminate a block of IP's specific to countries that would never have any HAMB content to contribute anyway.

Hope this makes sense. War is hell. Sacrifices are made. The cost of freedom is paid in blood. Haha. Fuck 'em !!

9. Sorry HRP. Didn't see your post.

I get up at the same time Don does @lothiandon1940 ... early. Like 3:30am to 5am CST, every morning. Why, I dunno' ... but I see Don with me, on the east coast, nearly every day.

Anyways, the last two mornings, dozens of spam threads, killed by me, and honestly, I think him, too. I actually wait, to hit 'em again. Pretty sure Don does as well. He's a spam whacker. Lol.

I'm not complaining about anyone, or anything, HAMB related. I'm just inquiring about a different way to do business, with the forum software available. Fortified ... so to speak.

In any event, spam whacker Central Standard Time out. Spam whacker Don, you got next shift.

"Badges ? We don't need no steenking badges !!!" :D

10. I honestly don't have the answer, If I did I'm sure the solution would make me gazillionare because all the internet sites would love my invention.

I don't think adopting the old Rangers motto of, "Kill them all and let God sort them out" as far as blocking other nations would be the answer, there actually may be someone in one of these countries that actually may be visiting the hamb for legitimate reasons.

I'm happy that Ryan & his crew do the incredible job they do.

BTW, I have been up in the pre dawn hours and that's when the majority of the spammers slip in the back door, thanks for playing whack a mole. :D HRP

11. Sometimes it's just a screwed up world we live in, but it's the only one we have. Keep fighting the good fight, that's all any of us can do.:)

pprather likes this.
  12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

IP address blocking doesn’t work anymore... totally lost effectiveness with the emergence of VPNs unfortunately.

13. There was 2 different IP type addresses before VPN's @Ryan has stated.

There was the Static IP and Dynamic ones.

The difference between Static and Dynamic IP address lies within the duration of assigned IP address. The static IP address is fixed IP address which is manually assigned to a device for a long period of time. On the other hand, the Dynamic IP address frequently changes whenever user boots his/her machine, and it is automatically assigned.

I have had a Dynamic IP since I got DSL 18+ years ago and can change my IP address just buy resetting my modem. (Came in handy when IP was banned when gamming and not user name)

So banning IP's is just a waste of time.

14. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Football ads are busy today