Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Patch panel question: So I decided to sandblast my ‘39 Ford Sedan project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32SEDAN, Sep 20, 2019.

1. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Taking a project down to bare metal exposes sins hidden for many years. Mine is no different. I am relieved I finally know what is underneath. One of the newly exposed problem areas is the tail pan. EMS and Eckler both make the center section for the sedan, but not the corners with the bumper slots. A tail pan with slots is available for the coupe for ‘39/‘40 Ford. With some modifications, would this panel work? Is the width comparable? Any other patch panels out there that would work for the corners? Worse case I will make my own... IMG_5911.JPG [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  2. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

More photos [​IMG]

3. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Before[​IMG]

4. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

[​IMG][​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. Whale....there ya go.....have fun !

6. I was fortunate to find a metal fabricator who was able to make and tig weld the piece you are talking about.The enclosed pictures will hopefully help you if you chose to make your own.

Attached Files:

32SEDAN likes this.
  7. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Thanks 38ford. After an exhaustive search to the ends of the internet, I believe I will have to fab them. I am much better at grafting panels in than making them. I really like how yours turned out. So he welded in a flat patch and then cut rectangular slots in lieu of the horseshoe shaped OEM ones. I’d like to see this view with your bumper mounted if you have one. BTW, I really like the blue. What’s the name of the shade? Also, I’d sure love to have a pressbrake like the green one in the picture as well! Thanks again!

8. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

sometimes you are better of not knowing what is under the paint ,my 48 pickup would be a nightmare I'm sure

32SEDAN likes this.
  9. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

I found so much filler, fiberglass, and epoxy resin in the crumbling firewall, floors, and quarters, I had to know. The rocker panels were replaced with angle iron. Man I had to know! The rear door posts were just strings of rusted metal surrounded by fiberglass and bondo. It was really scary. At a certain point of the car “unraveling” I had to know all of its secrets!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.