Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What do you make of this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by boy_named_sue, Sep 20, 2019.

1. boy_named_sue

boy_named_sue
    from Dayton, OH

Bought an old car a few weeks ago, and this was on the key when the old man handed them over. It’s just got my curiosity, and wondering if any of you know more about it. Is this something Chevrolet did with all vehicle purchases? A service you had to buy into? What happens if someone actually puts them in the mail?

I googled the address, looks like just a post office. So if I lose my keys, how would they find me? IMG_2866.JPG IMG_2867.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  2. I have one of them... Now I just have to find it..

3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Might be in a mailbox someplace.

4. error404

error404
    from CA

5. Fordors

Fordors

The number was registered to the original purchaser, but because there is a nine digit zip code in the address that item is only about 35 years old. The seller had it on the key ring to the older car you bought but it bears no relation to any car older than 1983.
    If dropped in a mailbox I would doubt Chevrolet still has those records to be able to return the key ring to the owner.

6. ^^^^ True. My dad had that in his glovebox, circa' 1985 Chevrolet truck.

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Think it was the DAV (Disabled American Veterans) who used to sell for a donation the little miniature license plates for your key chain with the same principle. If you lost your keys and someone tossed them in a mailbox, they could get returned to you. Don't think the program still exists, but the little tags are sorta collectable.

8. They looked like this............ 0.jpg 0 (1).jpg

9. A0EBEC26-344D-41BD-9C2A-02182C1DCF23.jpeg The War amps used to do the same up here, not sure they still do.
    With the cost of these “ smart keys “ on new cars they should have a tracking system !

10. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes the War amps still have the service but unfortunately they don't have the little mini duplicate license plates.

Phil

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  11. War amps used to do the same up here, not sure they still do.
    With the cost of these “ smart keys “ on new cars they should have a tracking system !

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. boy_named_sue

boy_named_sue
    from Dayton, OH

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

A bud received a 'Smart Car' for his birthday! Someone stole it, 60 days later, insurance co. issued him a check (for theft)
    He prayed to heaven the car didn't have the sense to return home!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. The vintage South Carolina drivers license were made of brass and they were kept on a key chain, we also had the miniature tags that also fit on the key chain, if it was found you could drop it in the mail box and it would get returned to the owner. HRP

• 8394342_1_x.jpg

15. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

In the original program up here in Canada the miniature license plate was the same as the one on your car, so if someone found your keys he could look for the car with the same plate and drive it away.
    Oops.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  16. David Chandler

David Chandler

I recall getting those when I bought a new Chevy years ago. I don't know if GM issued them, or if it was a dealer's perk. I never tried to mail it in, to see if it worked.

17. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

And then they switch to a random registration number that was assigned to you, really not the same cool factor.

18. My 1977 Suburban has the sticker as well on the window.........

19. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

So if someone finds it, they can put in a mailbox? ;)

20. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Boy_named_sue, back to your original question even though I can't answer it either.
    I purchased three new Chevys in the '70s, 1973, 1974 and 1975. I received nothing
    like your tag and wasn't offered any special program to buy into. I do know that
    Lincoln offered a high class key chain in the early '80s that had the same drop-it-in-the-mail
    concept and I'm pretty sure it wasn't given out at every new car purchase. Being a
    Linc-Merc partsman, I had customers ask how they could get one and I'd have to
    refer them back to their salesperson. Maybe a long time salesman at your nearest
    Chevy dealer knows the actual answer.

IMG_2456.JPG

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  21. boy_named_sue

boy_named_sue
    from Dayton, OH

Oh cool. That’s interesting!

22. boy_named_sue

boy_named_sue
    from Dayton, OH

Yeah those are neat. I dig this old metal stuff. Who needs more gigabytes in their pockets anyway?? Gimme stuff that jingles!

23. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

That's the first thing I thought of too. :D