Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical CRANK MOUNTED COOLING FAN FOR 327 CHEVY

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MIKE STEWART, Sep 20, 2019.

1. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

Many years ago I noticed a vendor that sold a hub that will bolt to a small block chevy engine and allow the fan to be mounted the crank vs water pump like the early flat head V-8 were. This 327 is in a 1940 Ford - the stock radiator is spaced up off the frame to allow clearance for the 4 blade stock cooling fan to clear.

2. Deuces

Deuces

.....:confused:

Tim likes this.
  3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

^^^^:confused: if your radiator is spaced upwards what good would that idea do for you.

Deuces likes this.
  4. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

Don't need a picture to see that this is not a good idea.

Deuces and egads like this.

5. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

The tub in my ava has a 322 Buick with a crank-mounted fan. Needed due to how low the cut-down T rad is. It works perfectly and permits the fan to be tucked under the upper tank. Regular long fan spacer tapped into the damper.

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Prime example of how a photo goes a long way in helping address a problem.

Deuces, Tim and 19Eddy30 like this.
  7. ... good way to mow you a driveway.

Tim and Blues4U like this.
  8. 500caddy

500caddy

9. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I could be wrong, but maybe he wants to move the radiator down to where it originally was in his 1940 Ford, and mount the fan to the crank, where it originally was in his 1940 Ford.

MIKE STEWART, RMR&C and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  10. That's how I read it also. I know when it's done that way it works very well. I can't believe Speedway don't have one listed.

11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Since I have read that Speedway copies others, it should be out in a couple of months.:)

12. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

13. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

This is the car - hood closes OK - but to center a 4 blade fan - this radiator is set up about 5 inches - spaced off the frame mounts. If placed in the original position - it will cool better. I do not want to run an electric fan, prefer manual one. The flat head V-8 had a crank mount fan for this very reason.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. Food for thought. When installing a SBC or any other brand motor in our early Ford's we seldom raise the Crankshaft center line from stock Flathead location. Yes there are some exceptions out there but not many. That said with the Rad mounted where it should be and a Crank driven fan, you should Cool just as stock minus the well know Heat issues of the Stock motors.

15. Deuces

Deuces

Or, a poor cat.... :(