Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Base coat/clear coat question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Budget36, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Budget36

Budget36

I'm going to me doing my first BB/CC in a week or so. I'm looking for 3rd opinions:)

After laying the base coat down, my understanding is you want to start the clear coat while the base coat is still wet. I've read that after 20-30 minutes on the last base coat, you should start with the clear.

Is that correct?

This will be done under a 10 x 20 cover, sided in with tarps 3 ways and opened up on the none breeze/wind end. I'll have several pusher fans to exhaust and I am being loaned the proper PPE.

Man I miss the lacquer and enamel days...

Thanks.

2. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Don’t put the clear on wet base coat. The base coat needs to be dry. The can should have instructions on the time frame

gimpyshotrods and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

4. Shoot some kinda test piece before shooting the clear on the body. To make sure the clear is mixed properly for heat,humidity,etc.

Oldmics

5. Get the technical data sheets on whatever paint products you are using and READ them fully. Every thing you need to know about times, pressures, tip size, etc will be on them.

Also your "booth" set up does not sound like a good idea. An open end will almost ensure you will get contaminates in the paint as will pushing air across your work area. Air needs to flow from one end to the other or you will be creating a circular air movement within your booth.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  6. Not wet,,,
    Usually long enough to clean the gun, wash your hands, pee, grab a beverage or Twinkie mix the clear . It’s longer than 20 mins but paint day is a LONG day

Budget36 likes this.
  7. I wait 45 minutes this time of year.Just did the hood/roof on the Toyota get ta work truck.At 65 degrees it was good to clear in 45 min.It drys fast like lacquer.Use a tack cloth on the dry base coat then clear.Dont lay the clear on real wet.I put 4 coats on before it started to look nice so take your time.I waited 10 minutes between clear coats.I read that you have up to 24 hours between base,and clear,but did mine much earlier.Im old school as far as paint goes,but I learned to like bc/cc.Would use it again.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. READ READ THE INFO !

Also use proper reducers for your temperature, once the base is dry you can nib any dirt or what have you's out.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. Budget36

Budget36

Thanks all...I know I don't have the ideal set up, but I have to use what I have to work with.

What would I do with a tack cloth? Just test the base?

Tis why I come here and ask.

10. Tack cloth just before painting with the blow nozzle LOW pressure.
    Don't dead stop on a panel though, Wipe through and off the panel.

If that makes sense to you...

I have done a lot of bc/cc outside in the dirt right at sunrise.. wet the ground down tack/spray !

11. Tack cloth is sticky as hell.Lightly dust the dry color coat with it to pick up dust etc.I too have painted at sunrise.The night bugs have punched out,and gone home,but the day shift bugs arent at work yet.If your working outside cover the car with a sheet of plastic the night before,or the dew will settle on the car,and you cant paint.

12. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

The best advice previously given here is to read and UNDERSTAND the tech sheet. The second best advice previously given here is to spray out some test panels before going for it.

kidcampbell71 and gimpyshotrods like this.