Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Riverbed 1932 Ford 2 Door Sedan

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Matlack, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Matlack

Matlack

I just recently purchased a new project. I guess I am a glutton for punishment. She is a little rough around the edges, but I have seen worse.

The story on the car is that right after WWII the railroad decided to build a line across a farmers field in rural Kansas. To help with erosion on a bridge across a small river, they added 100+ cars using only horses, blocks and tackle and wired the cars with heavy duty cable. They sat there untouched for 30+ years.

In the 1970's, the railroad decided to close the line and tore down the bridge. Some guys had found out about the hoard of cars and was looking to see who owned the land. After they located the owner, luckily he said please come get the cars. They were injuring his cattle and it would be a win-win situation. They had found the mother load.

Over the years, these guys drove from Texas to Kansas and started to cut out the salvageable cars. Before you get all excited, all the cars are gone now. This car was the last of the parts. Each side is from a separate car. The dirt had totally rusted out the bottom parts but the tops were fine. All the dents had come from the dragging and mounding up the cars. It is rough but will make a cool hot rod someday. I will try and keep adding pics as I progress.

Attached Files:

2. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

There was a place up in Allen Texas that WBRW32 and I dug cars out of years ago. They were put there in a large Creek to stop soil erosion and we did not have to drive to Kansas. There was a old wrecking yard up there that was full of late 20 to late 40 cars and trucks.

3. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Nice Start !!
    Good luck....

loudbang likes this.
  4. @1-SHOT. Hey Frank, you think there's anything still there ? I know Allen is a far cry, from what it was ... but there is a HAMB'r living in Allen ... me !! :) Let's go get some ... you point, I'll dig !

5. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

I've seen lots of pictures of creek/river/pond bank cars. Trouble is, it really doesn't work very well. Water flows downhill.

Old cars/trucks are everywhere: fields, woods, creeks, swamps, backyards, barns and garages... trouble is, in many states, you can never get a title for an "abandoned" car...

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. .....damn Frank,I;d damn near forgot that...years ago was more like 50 years ago......Kid Campbell it was at the corner of old hwy 5 and Stacy Rd..An old fellow,nice as hell,named Mr Hooper owned it Probably all houses by now..when Mr Hooper died,next owner was a Bill Alexander...who had a gas sta on hwy 75 one Rd so of Stacy rd I did get a tall T coupe and a running 47 Angelia from Mr Hooper...

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Man... It's really a '32. Tudor! Great find.

My bud Willy Pettitt went with Jim Pillsbury up North by Paradise, Ca. in 1962. He found a '32 roadster, fenders straight, whole car, no engine. $100, car was in a lean-to, the farmer had towed it from a field adjacent to his home.
    It had bullet holes in left quarter panel, 6 of 'em, .45 cal. I acetylene welded them up.
    No rust, the roadster had me green with envy.
    Willy built a Highboy, SBC. Beyond 'nice'.

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

"if it was easy everybody would be doing it" have fun

loudbang likes this.
  9. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

ive seen a lot worse , post some build pictures when you get to it

loudbang likes this.
  10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Oh-Oh! Lef is a DeLuxe, Right a standard!

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man that’s awesome

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  12. spanners

spanners

Doesn't matter. you can't look at both sides at the same time.

seb fontana, rpm56, 49ratfink and 3 others like this.
  13. sololobo

sololobo

14. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

That is great. Love hearing stories like that. I've seen cars in a lot worse shape come together let alone coming from a creek bed.

15. E.C.

E.C.
    from Tx

Good score on that 32

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  16. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not being a '32 guy, I have to ask : "How can you tell?

49ratfink and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. Ha. I didn't want to be the dummy to ask. Guess there's two us, here!
    Love, the other "dummy". :)

Does the keyhole make it a Deluxe, then ? If so ... spare no expense, and give me a Deluxe, please. I'll take two ...

18. My guess is that it is a standard. The deluxe came with cowl lights. The dealer could install cowl lights as an option on a standard and it looks like somebody started making the holes for the cowl lights on the left and gave up before they got to the right.

Charlie Stephens

19. Cool 33

Cool 33

I met Mr. Hooper in the late 60's. I bought a 34 grille from him after I wrecked my coupe. There was a 28 or 29 roadster pick up setting out behind the main building and a large field with lots of 20's and 30's cars farther out . Went back after he passed away and they were in the process of burning the cars with a lot of wood in them to scrap them out. Before this many still had glass and original interiors, etc. It made me sick to see what they were doing!

20. KKrod

KKrod

I heard .a lot of people went up to near Vernon, Tx for vintage tin back in the day

21. Matlack

Matlack

Body on the chassis. Found a windshield, all garnish molding, dash, etc.

Attached Files:

22. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

The story would be much better had a hippo boat been involved......

23. 61gasser

61gasser

Cool car, neat story! Can wait to see this unfold!

24. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I wouldn't want to be behind him after a he has a big lunch. :D Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled thread. Lippy

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  25. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Man that is nuts! I have to work with those things from time to time..When they are pissed off they massively defecate and the tail acts like a propeller ! that shit goes everywhere! Plus they are mean as hell...BTW dig the river duece:D

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  26. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Close enough for me..

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  27. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Did you ask those dudes if they took any pictures of their adventures or the cars in place before they were dug out?...

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  28. Squablow

Squablow

That's pretty cool, has a neat story and glad to see both halves saved into one car.

29. Garpo

Garpo

30. Matlack

Matlack

I have been busy rounding up enough parts to make it a roller. I also bought a pair of rockers. The passenger side is missing and the driver side is bent.

Attached Files: