Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage 50 Olds vs 55 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crashfarmer, Sep 18, 2019.

1. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I really like this 50 Oldsmobile. They were hard runners back in the day. This one is still running hard. I also like the 55 Chevy he is running against in this video. I had a fun time watching the drag races at the Atlantic, Iowa airport last Sunday. I should get something together to run there next year so I can get in on the fun. :)

2. Put a 390 FE and a later full syrncro trans in one of your old fords. The 55 & 56 overdrive Wagons and deliveries have 427 gears in a Dana 41 rearend. Weld the spider gears and add a set of traction bars and you have low buck racecar.

3. slowmotion

slowmotion

Looks like a fun little meet, thanks for posting.

4. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I like the idea of an FE but I do have a Buick 455 and turbo 400 out of my 71 Electra that I have been thinking about dropping into one of the old Fords. I'm not entirely sure how hard that would be. I do have a 1969 390 2 barrel on my 72 F350, I have been thinking on changing that to a diesel anyway.
    Thanks for the rear end information. I was thinking 9 inch Ford since I have several

You're welcome! :) I enjoyed it and ended up taking over 30 videos, most are off topic on this site.

slowmotion and Texas Webb like this.

5. I used a 58 station wagon 9 inch housing and axles un a 56 htp. I think a 57 thru 59 will work the later rears are too wide. Under my 55 chevy I have a 69 fairlane 9 inch rear and axles. its a inch narrower than the stock tri five rear. Yep the Buick mill would certainly make the old ford romp & stomp.

crashfarmer likes this.
  6. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

Yes, it certainly did a great job moving that heavy Buick Electra. I surprised quite a few kids in Camaros with that. :)
    The biggest worry I have with this is the driveshaft. The old guy that used to weld on my driveshafts is dead and gone. :( I know I'm not near as good as he was and that could be a problem. I remember hearing my neighbors talking about drive shafts they welded on bending further and further as they drove. :eek:

7. I use a pipe cutter to cut the tubing leaves a nice square edge. grind the weld from the end and it will come apart. hammer it together and install it on the vehicle. set up a dial indicatot and get it straight then weld it a bit at a time constantly checking to see if its still centered. There is a Guy on U Tube Jonathan W. He does his driveshafts the very same as me. He has videos of him doing it.

8. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was a great day in Atlantic. The Olds was running a 425 Buick Nail head and a Turbo 400 if I remember correctly. I raced him last year. He beat me twice. There was another 50? Olds, a blue coupe that was even quicker. It was running a 454 Chevy, the owner/driver was 82 and had built the car 40 plus years ago. I remembered having seen the car at a car show in Red Oak in the early 80's. Cool guy and was probably the only guy older than me racing that day:)