Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1949 8ba

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dogface13, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Dogface13

Dogface13

Need a little help. I have a 8ba running a Petronix ignition. Electronic fuel pump. I left key ignition on over night. No ignition ballast. The pertronix bench tested ok but i changed anyway. Tested spark plugs for spark with inline tester test ok. Coil test ok. Car turns over. I’m getting fuel. Engine won’t even backfire. I have not changed anything else. Please. Any suggestions. Btw car started right up before leaving ignition on.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put a points distributor back in the car. I don't know if your car is 6 or 12 volts, but the 6 volt Pertronix have a terrible reputation.

3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you don't have a loadomatic with points, I have one with a cap you can have for the cost of shipping. PM me if interested.

4. David Chandler

David Chandler

I think tubman is on the right track. Put points back in and try it. My guess is that it will work. Pertronix is known for issues. Some have good luck with then and some don't. Cars ran on points for years and years, and had a lot less problems. Your flathead has a distributor that's easy to get to, so working on points shouldn't be a big deal.
    Good Luck. I love 8 BA's and 8RT's.

stillrunners likes this.

5. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

The Ford Loadamatic distributors 49-53 were a POS also. There were some aftermarket dizzy's that were much better or you can make your own. I like the Chevy ones with the external point adjustment window for both parts availability and dependability. Not much lathe work to fit into an 8BA and a hold down tab is easy to fabricate.

IMG_4088.JPG IMG_4087.JPG IMG_4094.JPG

deucemac likes this.
  6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's blanket statements like this that mislead a lot of people. Load-a-matics are fine if kept in good shape and used on a stock engine with the proper carburetor. Granted, if you start changing things around, you are going to run into problems, but Ford never intended these engine to be modified. I personally hate the look of a GM HEI on a flathead.

stillrunners likes this.
  7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I have run an original rebuilt loadamatic on my 37 coupe with dual 94’s now for 12 yrs. runs perfectly.
    I even split the advance Venturi vacuum advance on each carb and lightened the advance spring tension.
    But maybe I just got lucky.

stillrunners and Texas Webb like this.
  8. v8flat44

v8flat44

Times 2 on what tubman said.
    Also, the loadamatic is VERY RELIABLE as long as you can achieve the proper vacuum profile.

stillrunners and Petejoe like this.