Register now to get rid of these ads!

History '46 & '47 Ford trucks, They never will be the queen of the Prom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 19, 2019.

1. But there is something I like about them, the term ugly duckling is sometimes over used but these old pickups have never been considered to be Fords best looking effort, I know 2 guys that have bought this style truck and replaced the front sheet metal with that of a 40/41 Ford pickup.

Personally, I like the odd ball look of these trucks,especially when they have been left alone or slightly modified, there is just something about their utilitarian unassuming appearance.

Fell free to post your photo's of the '46- '47 Ford trucks. HRP

2. I still like the one my friend Sid Drapal had, but it doesn’t necessarily still have the utilitarian look.
    4C0BAECF-CBBD-4C79-995B-5C91EB86AA57.jpeg

3. raven

raven

That is the best fix for those damn ugly trucks. It actually makes them appealing.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3W JOHN, das858 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. pkhammer

pkhammer

Don't forget a few were made in '42! IMG_3340.JPG

5. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I love mine. It looks like a truck......I like trucks:D

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Note to self: Never own a truck that deserves to be called a "Queen"...or a belle!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

My Brother had a 45, it had Air Force stenciled inside the hood.

9. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Usta be the ‘38-‘39 trucks were known as the ugly duckling.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. 81husky

81husky

Still are to me, but that's just me.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and Hnstray like this.
  11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

X2! The jailbar trucks are just trying to be trucks, nothing more/nothing less.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and Hnstray like this.
  12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

beauty is in the eye of the beholder - a face that only a mother/father could love - often when a ad is placed for one of these they do not show the front - oh well 20190919_164730.jpg

13. For them to be, lets just say not pretty when you find one the owner thinks they are valuable trucks.

The double post was unintentional, I was trying to edit the title and somehow it doubled, I ask a moderator if they could combine the two and it wasn't possible, so I opted to let them both run since there have been about the same amount of responses to both.HRP

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    3W JOHN likes this.
  14. goldmountain

goldmountain

The ones made by GM and Chrysler during the same time are just as ugly.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

16. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I've always liked the 42-47 Fords. Tried buying one at a farm auction about 30 years ago. So ugly they are cute. A year or so ago a friend showed up with one. It was the same one I tried to buy all those years ago. Nobody had touched it all those years, it had just sat in a garage.
    SPark

17. BZNSRAT

BZNSRAT

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

18. Irvan

Irvan

Thanks for the reminder, i looked at one of these truks in a local garage about 15 years ago and couldn't get it bought, i guess I will give it another try in the next few days. And yes, it was/is ugly.

19. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

000_0225.jpg 000_0227.jpg 000_0228.jpg The one I had until a neighbor asked me if I would sell it. Shot him a price and he counted out the money. 8BA flathead, ran great.

20. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Remember, if none of the owners will sell for less than that price, that price becomes what they are worth.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and clem like this.
  21. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

funny thing about these trucks.....you often see scale models of just about every model ford ever made ...
    but none of this model ????

22. clem

clem

First hot rod that caught my attention was a stake bed Jailbar.
    All they really need is a chromed grille to make them look good.
    And a roof chop is a definite no.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  23. @guthriesmith Sid's truck, looks amazing. Is that just a bolt on process ? First time I've seen that.

24. No, it is definitely not a bolt on deal. He welded the front of the fenders from the car onto the truck, added a bar to the grill to add some height, and had to basically make the front of the hood to bring it all together. In the end, it sure changed to look and confuses lots of folks.

25. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

Pictures of pictures of my 46 that I had in the 70's and 80's. I would switch between the 16" and 15" tires/wheels. 46 PU (1).JPG 46 PU (2).JPG 46 PU (3).JPG Also, Danbury Mint 46 PU in the same color that I had.

I'm the guy w/o the hat. LOL.

26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I'd be curious to see the grill designs Ford's styling department came up with that didn't make the cut. :eek:

3W JOHN, clem, 81husky and 1 other person like this.
  27. I've always liked the old Jailbars, would like to get my hands on a decent one. Just a solid old survivor, faded paint and surface rust on the roof, get it mechanically safe and reliable, put some good tires on it, and drive it.

28. clem

clem

Can someone please explain which panels interchange with the 1940 model, if any ? Thanks.

29. The Canadian Mercury versions got a nice chrome grille, would really like to have one of those. Other than the grille and name stamping, it's the same truck.

Attached Files:

30. Basically just the cab. The '40-'41 front sheet metal will bolt up to the cowl, but the frame is longer, 114" wheelbase instead of 112, and that extra 2" is between the firewall and the front axle. The bed looks the same (side panels are the same) as the '38-'41 bed, but the '42-'47 bed is 3" wider. 49" inside width as opposed to 46" on '38-'41. The widened the beds because more building materials were being made in 4x8 sheets, and a sheet of plywood will lay flat in a '42 or later bed. Pickups up through '41 were built on a passenger car frame design '42 changed from the transverse springs to parallel leaf springs front and rear. The straight ladder frame of the '42-'47 pickup makes engine/drivetrain swaps easier.

3W JOHN, Tim, HOTRODPRIMER and 3 others like this.