Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Did people have smaller feet in 1941?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the-rodster, Sep 19, 2019.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Comfort food has replaced comfort smoking.

2. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

You see any for sale recently? :D

3. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i wrote a note to my high-school-age nephew; one paragraph, but in cursive. must have taken him 5 minutes to figure out!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. ProBest

ProBest

5. belair

belair

osage orange likes this.
  6. jim snow

jim snow

Absolutely. Two very cozy in A 41 coupe. Snowman

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

The universe is expanding, two hundred years ago George Washington's head would fit on a quarter

8. Now THAT'S funny! That brought tears to my eyes. Thanks. I needed a good laugh.

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  9. chopped

chopped

I wasn't born till 1945 but my feet were a lot smaller then.

williebill, Hnstray, Lil32 and 2 others like this.
  10. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Ha, I have an offshore Mini car.
    My size 13 feet/shoes, barely fit in the foot well area. Actually, some shoes DON'T fit. I have to be sure what car I'm driving before I decide what shoes I'll be wearing..!

Mike

Lil32 and Stogy like this.
  11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Actually no they didn't. Up here we learned the "McClean" method that had been taught for eons. However, since the advent of smart phones the theory is they don't have to learn to write properly since they'll only be texting anyway. Now those students are now teaching and the problem has increase incrementally. The young teachers seem to be constantly on the phone as is everyone else. Just today my son sent me a pic of a co-worker at the machine shop he works at pushing a piece of rough the bandsaw with one hand while he was holding and talking on his phone with the other! I told my some to CAD a new hand for the poor bugger.

I taught for 37 years at a private school that began in 1922. Along the hallways hung photos of grad classes throughout the years. As part of science/health class I would get them to look at the photos and then we would discuss what they saw. Body size was always the number one thing they noticed r. and they also noticed the size increases starting around the late '60s/early '70s. Poor nutrition due to the depression, better nutrition post war, and back to poor nutrition due to cost of good nutrition.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    osage orange and bobss396 like this.
  12. Yep everything for meat is fed with growth hormones and GMO crops for foods. Sad you see pre teens with huge knockers and a put gut. Even the little boys need to wear a bra. We grow most of our food. milk out own cow ect. Look at the Urchins in my avatar. one is three and the other four. They really are Ruff & Tuff not a ounce of fat on them. Ive never taken them to any fast food place.

13. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

The Palmer Method of penmanship instruction was developed and promoted by Austin Palmer in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It was largely created as a simplified style of the "Spencerian Method", which had been the major standardized system of handwriting since the 1840s. The Palmer Method soon became the most popular handwriting system in the United States.
    Under the method, students were taught to adopt a uniform system of cursive writing with rhythmic motions.
    The method developed around 1888 and was introduced in the book Palmer's Guide to Business Writing (1894).]Palmer's method involved "muscle motion" in which the more proximal muscles of the arm were used for movement, rather than allowing the fingers to move in writing. In spite of opposition from the major publishers, this textbook enjoyed great success: in 1912, one million copies were sold throughout the United States. The method won awards, including the Gold Medal at the Panama Pacific Exposition in San Francisco, in 1915, and the Gold Medal at the Sesquicentennial Expositionin Philadelphia, in 1926.

Proponents of the Palmer Method emphasized its plainness and speed, that it was much faster than the laborious Spencerian Method, and that it allowed the writer to effectively compete with the typewriter. To educators, the method's advocates emphasized regimentation, and that the method would thus be useful in schools to increase discipline and character, and could even reform delinquents.

The Palmer Method began to fall out of popularity in the 1950s and was eventually supplanted by the Zaner-Bloser method, which sought to teach children manuscript before teaching them cursive, in order to provide them with a means of written expression as soon as possible, and thus develop writing skills. The D'Nealian method, introduced in 1978, sought to address problems raised by the Zaner-Bloser method, returning to a more cursive style. The Palmer company stopped publishing in the 1980s and things went on downhill ever since.

williebill, osage orange and Hnstray like this.
  14. BJR

BJR

Big feet, Big.......... Oh never mind.:eek:

15. Mimilan

Mimilan

Ha ha ha! Men talking about shoes.

You need to harden up [​IMG]

3oowevu2ltc01.jpg

16. the-rodster

the-rodster

You missing a toe?

Stogy likes this.
  17. Rich, just be thankful you don't wear a size 12 like me. :rolleyes: HRP

18. Mimilan

Mimilan

Do I look like I have hairy legs?
    I know some people that would consider this type of modification as a viable alternative [especially motorcycle racers]

Hnstray, 34 GAZ and Stogy like this.
  19. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

I can't really add anything to smaller feet thing. But I will say the dimmer switch in my '40 is even with the clutch pedal where it comes through the floor. Your's seems to sit about 3 inches higher. Just for the hell of it I put some flip flops on my size twelve feet and gave it a try. It's a little tight but since mine is lower it's doable.

Brights are for wimps anyway:)

20. Maybe these will help you reach...ha ha ha
    I can't drive my t-bucket with boots on, just not enough room, I must have built it wearing socks. Just like those Eelco pedals, there's no way a shoe fits in those damn things either.
    Screenshot_20190919-214003_Chrome.jpg

21. X-cpe

X-cpe

My first legal car was an OT '66 MG Midget (all 80" wheelbase and 1500 lbs. of it). Picked it up wearing fatigues and combat boots. Interesting drive back to base.
    I used the attainment of penmanship skills as the method to teach myself how to use my left hand. In first grade they started us off with big fat pencils and wide lined paper, then after we mastered gross muscle control they gave us regular pencils and regular lined paper to build our fine motor control. I'm not as good left handed as right, but I'm not afraid to put the hammer in my left hand and swing at the punch in my right hand.

Hnstray likes this.
  22. billsat

billsat

Big socks?

23. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

My wife wanted a sports car several years ago, we went and looked at an MGB. I couldn’t get my number 13’s to fit, I hit clutch and brake at the same time. Needless to say, we didn’t buy no sports car!

Cars of the 40’s and later grew bigger and wider, so there is plenty of feet room in most of them. My 47 Lincoln has plenty of room to reach all the pedals without getting your feet stuck, important when you have big feet!

osage orange likes this.
  24. David Chandler

David Chandler

I don't know. I'd like a man sized brake pedal in my late model Focus. I liked the 60's versions, where you didn't have to wonder where it was down there. My old F1 had the old type that came up through the floor. But I had no problem with it. Strange, perhaps it's the clutter of more modern cars that makes it an issue? Oh yeah, I wear sized 11Wide to get them wide enough for my 9 1/2 feet.

25. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Most of the WWII issued Leather A-2 jackets found today are a size 38.

26. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Have him try to make a call on a dial telephone. Bonus points if it's a Bell System Western Electric 500

williebill and Hnstray like this.
  27. papacub

papacub

Just have to have the right kind of boots!

Attached Files:

Old wolf likes this.
  28. chrisp

chrisp

I think the American people are evolving with the climate change and increase of violent storms : by being fatter and having bigger feet you don't tip over as easily.

j-jock, 46international and Frankie47 like this.
  29. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Below is Herny Knox and a young George Washington. Washington stood about 6'3". [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Below is a depiction the Virginia Riflemen. The Colonists in the 15 British Colonies (East and West Florida remained Loyal ) in North America were the most well fed people on earth at the time. The New Englanders marveled at how big the Virginians and Pennsylvanians were as the rifle regiments traveled to Boston in 1775. These men from the Southern Mountains had ample protein from wild game, thus excellent nutrition..

As the British and Hessions (many of these were street urchins from London or serfs from Prussia) marched through the New York Countryside after Washington evacuated New York in 1776 were amazed at the wealth these Americans had. Even the American poor lived on "estates" and food was abundant. They wondered why people of such wealth and health would rebel against their king.

It seems when a person actually has something of their own, they are more apt to fight for it.
    [​IMG]
    In the 1860s this happened. Afterward was a major economic collapse. It took decades to recover. Some areas to this day have not recovered.
    [​IMG]
    A generation later a somewhat recovered populace goes through yet another major economic collapse. Some areas especially the South and West/Mid West did not feel the depression especially early on as they already were economically depressed. A drought caused the Dust Bowl which only worsened the plight of many.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The truth is people have not really changed that much in size. With proper nutrition, the genetics are there for people to grow as large as genetically possible. A good example is the Virginia Riflemen of the Revolutionary War.
    Post Civil War brought poverty in many areas. In the much of the county you have basically serfs working in either industry or agriculture. A good example is 1890s Alabama sharecroppers both black and white and 1890s Pennsylvania Coal Miners of all ethnicity.
    Poor was poor. The middle to upper middle class of the American past would be considered well below poverty level of today.
    It's really about nutrition rather than size.

Another thing is vehicles were not built as rolling Lounge Couches. Initially they were based on Horse Drawn Carriages that had to be small lest you have a Draft Horse like a Clydesdale to pull a buggy. Vehicles reflect that being small.
    They were small because comfort was not an issue. Transportation was.
    Airplanes....
    In bombers and fighters.....smaller men were chosen because Less Ass equals more Bombs and Bullets.
    In closing growth was stunted due to nutrition. If the nutrition was there, pepole could grow larger and fight disease.
    Vehicles being based on horse drawn buggies continued to be small until style and comfort became a selling point. In the past few decades we have seen that switch to comfort and safety at the expense of style and utility.

Hnstray and das858 like this.
  30. BLACKNRED

BLACKNRED

Damn Chickens and over processed high nutrient foods.

Old wolf likes this.