Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1933 Ford Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steve Hurst, Sep 17, 2019.

1. alchemy

alchemy

Even if you had 33 and 34 grilles and hoods mixed up, they should still all align just fine. The differences in those two years are just trim stuff, the basic shape is the same.

As all these guys have said, your grille is wonky. After you cut the buggered up fill job out of the radiator cap hole, you might be able to pull the top up where it's supposed to be.

Steve Hurst likes this.
  2. I could be wrong but it just seems something is not right about the grille shell, if it was a original Ford there should be a hole for the radiator cap, and the Ford oval doesn't look like it would fit in what appears to be a diamond look. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  3. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Something doesn't look right about the grill shell. That bead or lip around the back of the radiator shell doesn't look right?[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

Yeah looks smashed down on the top for sure. And those little springs can go on top of the radiator mount flange or under the cross member but not between them like you have them.

51 mercules likes this.
  5. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Good eyes, didn't even notice that!
    upload_2019-9-18_12-16-10.jpeg

6. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

It is not a 33 or 34 Ford truck grille shell, get the right one and move on.

Shutter Speed and 51 mercules like this.
  7. Since a previous owner hacked up the truck to channel it, I wouldn't be surprised if the hood was hacked also.
    I found a few photos that might help some.............
    hood2.jpg hood3.jpg Hood (2).jpg

Steve Hurst and loudbang like this.
  8. Stevie wonder can see why it don’t fit
    Ray Charles told Stevie why too

loudbang likes this.
  9. It used to be, Somebody fucked with it

Steve Hurst and woodsnwater like this.
  10. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Possibly a 32 truck that is really messed up. Like to see the inside

11. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

1935 REO pickup grill shell? Just a long shot.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. Steve Hurst

Steve Hurst

the hood and the side measures correctly. I think I will just find another shell.

13. If the cab has a removable firewall it's a 32 cab, if not it's a 33 or 34, one reason aI ask for photo of the back of the cab. HRP

14. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Danny, I was referring to the grille being a 32. Now that I look at the grille bars it looks like it is a ford truck grille. Could have been a 32 and the top was modified to try to get the 'slant back' look of the 33/34 shell. Hood looks correct.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Little late to the discussion, but the hood sides look to be correct for a 33. As far as the grille shell, to my eyes that is a 32 commercial/pickup shell that has had the sides really cut up to accommodate the cabs channel job. The 32 Shells will never line up as they are also slightly thinner in depth over a 33/34 shell. As far as the radiator cap area, looks like they tried molding in the chrome piece that went around the cap. My 33 has had the entire area smoothed over and filled.

As far as hood top fitment, i can say that original hood tops did not fit that great due to the piano hinge they used. I have the original top currently on my 33 pickup and it really doesn't fit that well.

16. ... why not cut that top out, and clamp that b#tch in place, the best way you know ? You lose nothing doing that ... hell, you can probably shape up a nice patch to fix it.

I'm judging by your vise grip collection. You appear to be a metal man.

Someone in this place ... will have a trashed grille that will have that nose piece, you'd need. Stranger things have happened, here. Chopped tops , unchopped with someone's chopped out pieces.

The glory of the HAMB. Annoint thy self.

17. Most of the bottoms are rotted off anyway, right?

I’d stand on the grill side and push it down, flip it other side and stand on it and push it down. Turn it’s nose on the ground and stand on that and push it away from me. Maybe go around a couple times. The thing should set flat on a table.
    To me it looks like someone stood on the grill nose and pulled it towards them,,,,just need to PUSH it back.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. Steve Hurst

Steve Hurst

I cut out the fill job on where the cap hole was, and it was filled with lead by the way. once I got that all removed and did a little creative bending it is staring to fit much better. even the oval where the emblem goes was half ass filled with lead? its really a P.O.S. but I think I'm gonna try and save it. Thanks for your input.

19. Steve Hurst

Steve Hurst

its a 33 cab

20. clem

clem

that’s what we like to hear.
    Now, the other thing we like to hear, is that you’re going to do a build thread........:)

21. Shell isn't stock, but you can move it on the radiator mounting flanges and ad to the hood sides with welding rod and make it fit.

loudbang likes this.
  22. 32owner

32owner

wrong grill sheet its a 32 car shell and the 33 truck grill sits at an angle

loudbang likes this.
  23. That’s what I’m talking about !!

The beautiful thing about getting “creative” is you’ll probably learn something valuable and since it’s a pos you’re not going to loose anything if you mess it up or wind up not being able to correct it. Should you be successful and use the grill, that’s going to be a good story forevermore.

24. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Nope. Not 32 car nor commercial. Its a messed up 33 commercial.

25. Make the shell set flat on a table first.

loudbang and John Lee Williamson like this.
  26. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_0669.JPG I had a similar problem on my 34 truck with the 33 shell.

You need to lift the front of the cowl up, and then lengthen the rad support rods. There is about a 1/4" gap between the hood and the bead line on the grill.

And for the record that is a 33 commercial grill. A 32 is thinner on the sides if you look at it straight from the front. And doesn't have the same sort of shape in the top corners of the opening.

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

One other thing. The front face of a 33-34 grill is at an angle, not straight up and down like a 32

loudbang likes this.
  28. Steve Hurst

Steve Hurst

Making a little progress, Very Slowly.

Attached Files:

Kreepea_1, Fordors, clem and 4 others like this.
  29. Slowly is much better than not at all.

51 mercules likes this.
  30. catdad49

catdad49

I’m likin’ it!