Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Engine Serial#

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PHIL COOPY, Sep 18, 2019.

1. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

On a '51 8BA Ford engine I bought I am having trouble finding a serial# on it. All I can find is two letter "A"s stamped where the number should be (right rear next to the manifold). I'm having trouble getting a VIN issued for my rod. Any ideas?

Phil

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

3. I am not sure they stamped an engine number on a '51. You might ask on fordbarn. Fords were registered by frame numbers beginning in 1932 and that is what your DMV will probably want to see. Are you trying to register a '51 Ford or the one in your AVATAR?

Charlie Stephens

4. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

The one in my avatar......

5. No serial numbers stamped on any US Ford flathead that I've seen...

6. Ford wasn't big on serial numbers on their motors, even after the flathead...

7. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Sometimes the number by the manifold is wiped away over time. Nothing can be done about it.
    The DMV does not use the flathead number to register a vehicle.

Do you have a vin stamped on your frame?

I don't know about Florida, but in California, the CHP will issue and stamp a vin on the frame for registration at the DMV.

8. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

The frame was fabricated by me...so no number. Problem is that in Florida the paper work for parts for a parts built car needs to show the doner car number. It's kind of hard to show on a '27 car with a '51 engine. Actually the guy I bought it from removed it from a '30s truck. I am trying to contact him to see if it was titled, then I could use that frame number.
    Phil

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  9. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

Me either and I've worked on many of them/////Phil

warbird1 likes this.
  10. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Well its a 2019 SCV then. The OEM frames have the number.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd think that they are actually looking for proof that you legally came by that engine. That is what this state and about every other state wants. Proof that you legally came by the major components.
    Smog regs for some engine years comes to mind but you don't have an engine that was in any sort of regulated year model The engine also isn't older than the year model of the vehicle.
    Per this https://www.semasan.com/semaga/TagTitleToolbox_FL.pdf The way you want to register an older vehicle in Fl can be dependent on the year of the engine.

12. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

on every shoebox i've owned, the build tag on the firewall has served as the vin # here in missouri. good chance that any numbers stamped on the block are from a rebuilder...