Register now to get rid of these ads!

GASSER MUST HAVES and cant haves?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyDave, Aug 4, 2013.

1. oj

oj

I'll ask. Is there are particular year/model? I don't know anything about Volvo's I just happened to take a shine to that particular body shape and being different and all.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Hell yeah, OJ, its got potential!! Back in the mid to late '60s, there was a guy in my town who had one of those 544 Volvos that he stuck a Chevy engine into. He used to pull out of the local McDonald's onto US Rt1, rev it up, dump the clutch and do a wheelstand going up the road. What a show!!!:):cool:

loudbang and oj like this.
  3. Clik

Clik

I built similar shackled ladder bars and caught a lot of flak about how they won't work.

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

A friend of mine has a chassis shop and for years offered a pretty slick disc brake setup based on the Volvo 122S, I even machined quite a number of spacers for his kits.
    Not as popular as they were, mostly because the source for used parts dried up.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  5. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

Are those Ford spindles on a Willys axle? I thought about doing the same thing with an Anglia axle.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  6. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

I'd be concerned about those little single shear mounted clevises too.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  7. jailbird

jailbird

I like the 1965 rules for the suspension
    sounds like you can use about anything from any manufacture as long as it was a designed style for a production car-truck
    so stock is ok as A arms. Strait axle design type from any production manufacture, shocks of your choice - rear coils from any manufacture instead of leafs ect ect. ANY TRACTION DEVICE to stop wheel hop its re guarded as a safety thing as per NHRA.
    These are the most things that maybe some people will pick you apart reguarding whats a real gasser The Storming Bull to me is a cool gasser
    but would not be allowed to race with certain groups.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  8. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it might be time to bring this one back up.

Church Key and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Baloney. I built them the same way on my '63 Falcon gasser with a 464 c.i. BBC and they work just fine. Of course they have a little give built into them with the front shackle. But if the angle of the shackle is correct it not only allows the springs to work, but also keeps the pinion from wrapping up and causing wheel hop. My Falcon hooked great with them, and lifted the front wheels on launch with no wheel hop. I'll be doing the same thing on my current '39 Chevy gasser build because it works.

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and Gammz like this.
  10. vanherrb

vanherrb

makes good sense to me,, can you share the correct shackle angle that worked for your application,,i am putting a caddy motor in my 41 studebaker,,and i like the idea

enloe, Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  11. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

If all you want is a lift bar they work fine with no problem on low power cars and will help control wheel hop. If the ladder bar is to be used as designed it needs to have a solid mount in the front and a slider on the leaf spring. The front mount of a ladder bar is designed to be a push point, if a shackle is used it becomes a lift point only and the front eye of the leaf spring remains the push point defeating the purpose of the longer ladder bar having a further forward push point. Confusing I know but it's how it's designed to work.

12. drumyn29

drumyn29

What happens if ladder bars are solid on front AND back!

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  13. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

If a solid mount it still pivots in the front because of only one bolt.
    If the leaf spring is mounted solid to the rear end housing and no shackle or slider in the front it will bind because of two different length pivot points. I wish i could draw on here to explain it better.

14. drumyn29

drumyn29

Makes perfect sense, I just need to learn how to read properly.

15. drumyn29

drumyn29

Since you are giving free advice, I was more wondering if my setup will work.

IMG_7957.jpg Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 8.44.53 AM.png

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

This setup will also bind. It doesn't matter if it's a 1/4 eliptical, or full spring. It's still going to restrict travel and cause spring bind.

17. CGkidd

CGkidd

How would it bind if it has a shackle mount between spring and housing?

Sent from my E6910 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Your set up will work perfect. The 1/4 elliptical spring was exactly how they did it in the old days once they figured out the full leaf mounted solid was binding. The shackle on your set up will let the housing move back and forth to so no binding. The bars being welded at the housing instead of having rod ends don't leave you any adjustment is the only problem i see.

19. drumyn29

drumyn29

I won't have any problems, it'll run perfect right off the trailer forever.o_O

loudbang and Quain Stott like this.
  20. drumyn29

drumyn29

I did install a Jabsco water pump, so at least I can drive it around my neighborhood to work some of the bugs out. I spun a bearing last month and I'm not sure if it was from overheating or something else.

IMG_3756.jpeg IMG_3758.jpeg

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Sorry, didn't see the shackle on the end.

22. Ladders work fine on full semi-elliptic springs if you allow for the different swing arcs of the spring and the bar. I have seen cars with two shackles on each spring, one in front and one in back. This seems to be not as good since the axle will struggle making its arc comply with the bar. I have done it two ways. On my buddy's '37 Willys pickup we mounted the front of the ladder with a shackle to the frame. Here are some pictures of how I did it on my Willys coupe. I made a little holder for a Mustang II front strut rubber donut and welded a piece of pipe to the front of the ladder that slides tightly into the hole in the donut. This allows the ladder to make its arc that follows the spring's arc. Both work great, the spring doesn't know the ladder bars are there until it tries to wrap and hop. Smooth ride and no hop.
    T bars3.jpg

Bowtie Coupe, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  23. CGkidd

CGkidd

Anyone know what a good starting point for gearing with a Olds rocket with B&M hydro running a 30in tire.

loudbang likes this.
  24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Depends on what your plan is for the car? For the street mostly, I'd go 3.73 gears. But if drag racing, I'd need to know if it's 1/8 or 1/4, and what's been done to the engine, and how high it might wind?

loudbang likes this.
  25. southcross2631

southcross2631

This is my version of the Stott bars. All points have adjustments. Mine is a coil spring car. DSCF3465.JPG DSCF3512.JPG DSCF3527.JPG 20171018_111207 (1).jpg

26. loudbang likes this.
  27. CGkidd

CGkidd

With the work done to the engine thinking should spin to 7. Holborn injection solid roller cam with a mag. Original B&M hydro. Planning on mostly nostalgia events. 1/8th mile

loudbang likes this.
  28. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

With that engine specs and 1/8th mile racing, If you go strictly racing and little street use I'd go at least 4.56 gears. If it was only racing I'd go even deeper at 4.88 or 5.13 gears. If you plan to occasionally race nostalgis events like Billetproof at Toutle, Wa. but also use it on the street too, I'd go with 4.10 gears.

loudbang, enloe and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  29. wvenfield

wvenfield

You can do whatever you want. Now if you want to know why it isn't done, I would guess it's because it wasn't done. I don't know when that started but I'm sure someone does.

Quain Stott and loudbang like this.