Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical F1 brakes modification

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 55zephyr, Sep 19, 2019.

1. 55zephyr

55zephyr

Hi all, I am looking to replace my GM disc conversion on my fendered 30 model A coupe. I've the offer of a complete Ford F1 front brake setup but I do not wish to use the 6 stud wheels as the rears are 5 stud. Before I go ahead and buy it I have a couple of questions. Can the hubs be redrilled for 5 on 4 1/2 stud pattern? Has anyone done this or is there another way to use my own wheels?
    Cheers, Ron.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  2. squirrel

squirrel

F1 hubs with six wheel studs? maybe it's really from a Chevy?

Pictures would help, so we can see what you really have

patmanta likes this.
  3. 55zephyr

55zephyr

Hi Jim, thanks for your reply, I will be looking at it at the weekend. Did Ford not do a 6 stud setup? The guy is telling me it's a Ford F1 system that he had on his own model A.
    Cheers, Ron.

4. 55zephyr

55zephyr

I've just rechecked the info I have and found out that the hubs have been drilled for Chevy 6 stud fitting. My question is this. Could the hubs be redrilled for Ford 5 on 4 1/2 stud fitting

5. F-1 hubs can easily be re-drilled to a 4-1/2" bolt circle; but with the already added 6 lug pattern you better check close if there is room.

55zephyr likes this.
  6. 55zephyr

55zephyr

Thanks Rich, I will take a close look at the weekend and probably buy it then. The idea is to get back to period build as much as possible, the body and interior being basically as it came from the factory 89 years ago.
    Cheers, Ron.

7. IRION29

IRION29
    from Alberta

I have F-1 brakes on the front of my Model A and one other project build. If you use pre '46 spindles (round), the inner bearing race should be chamfered on the inside to fit snug against the spindle. The '46 (square) spindle does not require this.

8. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

I had F1 brakes on my '41 pickup and in addition to the chamfer on the inner bearing i believe with the round spindles you may have to grind a little bit of the upper spindle boss in order to get the wheel cylinder to sit flush.
    I have an article in my "archives" that shows the modifications. I will post that article after I down load a few photos.

deathrowdave and 55zephyr like this.
  9. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

55zephyr and glorydime like this.
  10. That hub will have the original Ford 5 lug holes,the GM 6 lug holes,and you want to add 5 more for the later pattern?Whats going to hold it all together?

55zephyr and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. alchemy

alchemy

The hub will be lightweight for RACING!

12. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Don't know if these pictures will help.

Attached Files:

55zephyr and kidcampbell71 like this.
  13. 55zephyr

55zephyr

You're dead right there Steve, more holes than metal. I'll probably give them a miss.
    Cheers, Ron.

14. you could always put studs back in the original 5 on 5/12 inch pattern in the hubs and put ford wheels on it. there are plenty of them out there, and repops are readily available. I see you are in the UK, I believe old Land rover wheels are the same pattern as well.

55zephyr likes this.
  15. You could redrill the back axles to the early Ford pattern,and use the F1 pattern on front,and you would have matching patterns.

55zephyr likes this.
  16. 55zephyr

55zephyr

The idea really is to use the wheels I have on the car at the moment which are almost new and are Ford 5 stud fitting.
    I'll have to have a think about it.
    Cheers, Ron.

17. The Chevy 6-lug pattern is (I believe, going from memory) 6x5.5. The original Ford pattern was 5x5.5. So adding the 5x4.5 should not create a problem with the existing holes. I do agree that too many holes might be concern for strength, but given the diametrical difference, there should not be problem with the current lug holes.

RICH B and 55zephyr like this.
  18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Pretty sure the 37-40 spindles are round back and the 41 to 48 are square back but I have never had to chamfer the inner bearings when converting to F1 brakes..The bearings had a big enough radius [around 3/16ths] that cleared the radious in the spindels..I just got the bearings by the number specified, nothing special as far as I know..

19. All Ford spindles have a radius where the inner bearing seats and the bearing edges are rounded to clear.

The 14116 bearing used to put F-1/F-100 hubs on early Ford spindles do not have this and should be ground so the bearings sit flat against the spindle.

Probably not the end of the world if it is not done; but why not do it right.

If you are using pre '35 spindles the bearing spacer provides a square edge and the 14116 bearing seats as is.

The top edges of '37-'41 round back spindles need to be beveled to clear the wheel cylinder. '28-'36 and '42-'48 work as is.

14116 bearing.JPG PC050024 - Copy.JPG

55zephyr likes this.
  20. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

You guys are on top of it ! You even have photos . I have those brakes on front of my 32 , not one issue .