Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. C1/C2Guy

C1/C2Guy
    from Utah

Yesterday I delivered this car to "Wiley" (the guy I bought it from 2 1/2 years ago) He bought the car in 1978. He drove it for about 10 years and then decided to have it "fixed up". He had a number of shops work on it but they just took his money and did very little work. After loosing many parts, his money and seeing little progress etc, he got discouraged and decided that it would never run again so he decided to sell it. That is where I got involved. I bought it and built it the way I wanted, all while trying to retain some of the things I could make out from it's past. Wiley had no photos so I used my imagination some. The shops that had previously worked on it was going the direction of "Pro Street". They had installed a 4 link with coil overs on the Olds 9.3 rear and switched the straight axle for a Mustang II :( I got rid of all that and put it back to how I thought it would have been when Wiley bought it. It still has the Olds rear but now with OE leaf springs. The front is a straight axle from Speedway. I enjoyed building the car very much, but enjoyed even more seeing the smile on Wiley's face as he was reunited with his car:)
    IMG_2401.JPG 5-2-17 2nd photo at Jerrys house.jpeg This is how I got it

2. C1/C2Guy

C1/C2Guy
    from Utah

3. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

4. jimdillon

jimdillon

I agree it is cool and good save. If you had not saved it someone might have bought it and "restored" it so that we could see what they look like restored. Hopefully it will remain with the look that you gave it from here on out so that people in the future can see what some of the really cool ones looked like back in the day.

5. loudbang

loudbang

6. loudbang

loudbang

7. Yes. That car was local to me and I saw it many times back about the time the picture was taken. It was the kid on the fenders car and his dad owned a body shop.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  8. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

The woodgrain cove is goofy but I still like the pic. I just have to laugh
    at how many Instamatic shots have a section of the car missing. It seems
    that it didn't matter what you saw through the view finder you still ended
    up amputating part of your subject.

9. My 65 Vette back in 69 had a 375 horse fuely with 4 speed and 4:56 gears . DSC00209.JPG

10. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Loudbang : nice split , but it’s got a ‘66 or ‘67 grille in it.

11. Stephen Baxter

Stephen Baxter

Ricky Moore was right, the cut down X member did make the trans go in easy. I got the trans bolted up. Now to measure for a drive shaft. and get the pinion angle set up and weld the spring perches to the housing. I also got the radiator and electric fan installed today

They both have sliders and also notice the cut down in the x-frame. Ricky Moore who built the chassis to where it is today, told me the cut down not only helped with the driveshaft angle but also helped with pulling the trans (Doug Nash 5-speed) at the track. Of course the car did not have the four link in the 60s and it had a Pontiac rear at the time but he updated it over the years to the Dana 60 and added the four link. The Pontiac you had may have been cool but I suppose you can argue the Ford 9" will take a bit more punishment (although some may debate that). View attachment 4419408

Your build is looking great-keep up the good work.[/QUOTE]

12. loudbang

loudbang

13. loudbang

loudbang

Hard top convertible?

hot8pnt.jpg

14. It’s not Scotty B’s but it is a cool old style diner. All polished stainless and neon

961CE443-4870-494E-80B4-FF47427F787D.jpeg

15. Deuces, loudbang, mkebaird and 3 others like this.
  16. loudbang

loudbang

17. loudbang

loudbang

18. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Honestly now, don't some cars come across as overdone, no matter who the icon
    was that did it?

19. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Not over done, just kept up. The lacquer than was used faded fairly quick in the Southern California Sun.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  20. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

The more I look at that car, the less I can find to admire about it. It really serves as a benchmark from which to evaluate the outer limits of taste. Thanks for sharing it.

21. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

Well she loved it

loudbang and Chuck Norton like this.
  22. loudbang

loudbang

23. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

At least it doesn't have twin spotlights! Still can't quite buy into Oldsmobile or Dodge hubcaps on a Corvette.

Bowtie Coupe, Offset and loudbang like this.
  24. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I like those Watson cars. Even though my 61 is a hot rod and that's my 1st preference, I still dig other styles. And "customs" sure beat a stone stock restoration in coolness.

25. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I would like to see more pics of the blue one

Deuces, loudbang and 31hotrodguy like this.
  26. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

[​IMG]
    This one is for sale in Hemmings right now. Of course there are a few things I’d make more H.A.M.B. friendly but oh would that be fun to drive on the street!!!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. loudbang

loudbang

One more Watson job. Sorry about the spotlights :rolleyes:

hot11 CCC-Watson-50s-Corvette-03-W.jpg

28. This me and my uncle in about '69 or so in front of another uncles 57. I don't know a lot about the car but it had an auto trans and power windows. It also had a blue metal flake interior (bass boat upholstery). If you look close you'll see it has had the little "divots" where the licence plate bracket goes on the lower valance filled, the upper fender scoops have been removed. It had ET wheels on it. Those same wheels where on Dads 57 in the 80's-90's and then on my 60 vette. I still have them.
    img007 (Medium).jpg