Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1937 Ford Air Cleaner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nate Anello, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Nate Anello

Nate Anello

After searching for two years, I finally found an all original 1937 Ford coupe. 21 stud 85HP V8. I'm trying to replace the air cleaner element. This standard air cleaner has a wing nut and a lid that can be removed by I can not see a way to remove the element as the supports for the lid will not allow the element to come out the top. I'm not sure if the assemble can be disassembled as all the outside seams are crimped together. Factory repair manual recommends cleaning the element in gasoline and oiling it. Any knowledge that can be shared would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Gasoline works, Kerosene is a little safer amd does a good job cleaning. A parts washer would work well too.

3. catdad49

catdad49

Great looking coupe, Nate! Feel free to share more pics.

4. alchemy

alchemy

There is no cartridge that you can replace. Just clean and oil the one that's in there, as the instructions told you to.

5. Nate Anello

Nate Anello

Will do, but why do all the parts suppliers (Macs, Dennis Carpenter etc) sell replacement elements if they can't be replaced. Just looking for some advice, not a newbie to the hobby. Been turning wrenches since I was 16.

Attached Files:

6. alchemy

alchemy

I thought you were figuring a new Wix paper cartridge would fit in there. I've got no idea why you would need to replace the existing filtering mesh unless it is cut or bent. Just use a cleaning fluid to dissolve any gunk on it. Then oil it. Done.

7. Nate Anello

Nate Anello

Thanks, the short story on the car is that it was displayed at the Flat Head Ford Museum in Bigfork Montana for 40 years. The museum closed in 2016 and the car was sold to a guy and I purchased it from him. Just a nice, all original coupe. When I got it, it had 39,891 original miles, one repaint back in the 60's. working 2 speed Columbia rear end, and juice brakes. I spoke with Lyle Aklestand (the owner of the museum) by phone, and he confirmed that the when he purchased the car in the 70's that the only thing he did to it was put a new interior kit in. He also confirmed the mileage to be correct. I have gone through the brakes and replaced the bias ply DOT dated 1955 tires with Coker Bias Ply look Radials that have really improved the ride. Added a filter kit to the sediment bowl as well. Reworked the tail lights. Still have some wiring that needs attention and working to see if I can clean and adjust the horn. I also own a 1969 Camaro SS that I bought back in 1979 that I restored and never turned loose of, but always wanted a Ford Couple.

Attached Files:

VANDENPLAS and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

That 37 is a beauty.
    I believe I’d have that dash redone to complete its originality.

9. Nate Anello

Nate Anello

Someone along the way painted all the window garnish pieces black, which I was disappointed by, but for the time being I think I'll leave that dash alone.. I was happy they didn't paint the dash black as well. I like the patina of the dash and the fact that the exterior paint is nice for as old as it is, its far from perfect.

Petejoe likes this.
  10. 42merc

42merc

The air cleaner pictured is for a '34 thru '36.
    The '37 & later use the element that is pictured.

11. Nate Anello

Nate Anello

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. Very helpful and concise.