Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Asheville,North Carolina

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rod1, Sep 17, 2019.

1. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey guys, hanging out in Asheville this week.Suggestions for things to do?Other than the Biltmore.Any Hambers still active? Thanks in advance.

2. Sunday 22nd 2-5 PM Cruise-in at the Asheville Outlets, 800 Brevard rd. HRP

lothiandon1940 and rod1 like this.
  3. HenryJGuy

HenryJGuy
    from Dayton, TN

If you have time and easy transportation, check out the Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley. It's mostly motorcycles, but a VERY cool collection. It's about 40 miles West of Asheville.

mohead1, lothiandon1940, rod1 and 2 others like this.
  4. A drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway is a must, beautiful country. If you like vintage motorcycles check out Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley.
    Edit: a little late, always a bridesmaid.:)

mohead1, lothiandon1940 and rod1 like this.

5. My wife and I ended up there by accident a couple of years ago, we were driving to Charleston but a hurricane had other ideas so we headed for higher ground. Without knowing anything about it we had a great couple of days. The neighbourhood around the Orange Peel is pretty cool, good restaurants & bars, cool shops. The Orange Peel has been booking great bands for a very long time. Wicked Weed is a good brewery in an old service station, great patio.

Wheels Through Time is only 45 minutes away and definitely worth the drive.

Pay a few extra bucks and do the behind the scenes tour at Biltmore. I found it far more interesting how the servants and grounds people lived than the folks upstairs.

rod1 likes this.
  6. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I often wondered if they ever had any car shows at the Biltmore estate? that would be a great location to have one.

rod1 likes this.
  7. lothiandon1940 and rod1 like this.
  8. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

Waffle House

9. Too darn many hippies! HRP

rod1 and deathrowdave like this.
  10. Moon50F3

Moon50F3

^^^Aw man....I love the Waffle House! I spent a few months working in Asheville about 20 years ago. Was in that WH nearly every day. Can’t remember the clientele tho. Wish they had them in WI. I have to travel to get my fix these days.

WH fix, not hippie fix.

rod1 likes this.
  11. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know what it's like today. Some years back my wife and I stayed at the Grove Park Inn. Was really cool!! Gene.

rod1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. hudson48

hudson48

Visited Maggie Valley and Wheels Through Time a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it and the drive through the mountains. That was where I met Snowman and Phil Prather at a hot rod run in town. Also did Asheville and The Biltmore. All good fun.

rod1 and pprather like this.
  13. Wheels through time is awesome! and theres tons of killer food and beer there

rod1 likes this.
  14. Check Downtown area for the guided bus tours.. May be through the Chamber Of Commerce.. I lived near there a few years back , but recently my wife and I took one of the tours...I learned a ton about the history ,saw places that I had never seen.. Well worth the time .. Asheville is a very interesting town

15. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great ideas guys,Thanks for the suggestions.What a beautiful place.

wraymen likes this.
  16. southcross2631

southcross2631

Come back through Knoxville on the 28th and see the Southeast Gassers.

rod1 likes this.
  17. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Last time we were there we stayed at the Pisgah Valley Ranch and loved it. It is off the beaten path , but you have your own cabin and a wonderful quite setting . Things to do Wheels Through Time is must do . As stated it’s mostly biker stuff , but you will still remember it for a lifetime .

rod1 likes this.
  18. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In 1996, the Austin Healey Club of America held their yearly conclave in Ashevillle. The car show was not on the Biltmore property but we were allowed a group photo on the front lawn. Several hundred cars with the mansion in the background made for a great picture.

I am not aware of any other cars shows held there.

rod1 likes this.
  19. You could drive around town and try to identify all of the places where Thunder Road was filmed.:D;)

rod1 and wraymen like this.
  20. If your looking for an adventure and you have access to a motorcycle or a good handling sports car head on over to the Dragons Tail. Eleven miles with over 300 curves with a high pucker factor. Decent skill level required and it gets packed on the weekends . There are a few other less traveled “courses” near Asheville but I promised to keep those a secret.

21. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

Stayed at this cool old motel many moons ago when I was there.
    5755a0d0-82f4-4b16-a6ff-c5bebebb0de8-Mountaineer_Inn.jpg