Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Using Velcro(hook and loop)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PHIL COOPY, Sep 17, 2019.

1. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

I know this has been discussed before but I can't find the thread. Can I use velcro to attach the upholstery panels on my '27 rod doors etc.

Phil

loudbang likes this.
  2. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I don't see why not, I have seen it used in trunks to hold panels in place

loudbang likes this.
  3. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

The industrial type works best.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

With industrial type adhesive.

rockable and loudbang like this.

5. Self adhesive type is OK between flat panel type stuff, and if you are attaching carpet to a panel, stick the panel side on, and sew the velcro to the carpet side.

6. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3M Dual Lock is what you want. Tough stuff. Works well. I've used it on door panels and other things. Is self adhesive too and is simple to apply.

Chris

7. Yep...dual lock is tough stuff...different than Velcro...no fuzz..locks stem to stem

8. I used it in my roadster and didn't have any problems. HRP

9. 5window

5window

I'm not crazy about using it in a traditional hot rod, but it does make it in the timeline, having been invented in 1941. FWIW, Velcro is a proprietary name. like Ketchup, that has entered the world as a generic term. Not all "velcros" are alike.

10. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I used it for the trunk panel that is removed to access the fuel cell in the trunk of my '31. Makes the panel easily removable, there's no retainers visible (screws, hinges, etc) and it makes a good cushion to prevent squeaks! As said, find some with heavy duty adhesive as heat will eventually make it pull away.

11. 41woodie

41woodie

I'm in the process of refinishing the woodie. The interior bottom of each door has a carpet piece used as a kick panel. I used industrial Velcro on the first and it's doing fine. In the past I've tried silicone glue and 3M spray adhesive but neither worked as well as this is.

12. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    I have used plenty of Velcro brand products in various projects and on objects. They are very handy to secure things. But, now, there are so many companies that make "Velcro" that you will need to do your research before you buy. Some call it hook and loop because of the trademark for Velcro. Just beware that although it looks like Velcro, it may not be. Also, the no name products stick as it should, but the lasting power is not always good. I use the Velcro name brand for best results. (for big projects, it is tempting to buy the non velcro name brands because the cost is so low... but it will depend on the project vs reliability)

VELCRO Brand Industrial Strength Fasteners | Extreme Outdoor Weather Conditions | Professional Grade Heavy Duty Strength Holds up to 15 lbs on Rough Surfaces | 10 ft x 1 inch Tape, Black
    by VELCRO Brand

This was the best new Velcro product that is considered industrial strength.

Jnaki
    Even though this is a Velcro name brand product, it does well indoors, but outdoors in a shaded, weather protected area, the sticky back does not always hold tight. It would be best for securing things that are already touching a base or floor. (not hanging) Mainly, because the weather just does "stuff" to the sticky back and it slowly peels off the surface. Smooth surfaces are the best, but over time the weight of the item held up just pulls down on the Velcro and slowly peels the sticky back down off of the wall surface.

When I made a backyard swing for our little granddaughter on a huge tree branch in her backyard, the swing surface was slick with weather moisture on some days. She kept sliding off of the surface. So, I put on some non Velcro sticky back loop parts (hairy smooth stuff, not the pokey plastic) on the seat surface. That was in 2006.

Today, the stuff still sits comfortably on the swing seat surface and despite the countless number of kids sitting and standing on it, countless days of sun, rain, yard sprinklers and usage, the sticky back holds perfectly. So, for the project, some off brand name products do work and work well. But, it was not a weight bearing door panel or hose attached to a wall.

If the project is weight sensitive and gravity + motion will affect it, put some glue on the sticky back portion for added strength.

13. The new thing that I see a lot of upholsters using these days to hold on panels, especially ones that need to be removed, are little magnets. They can be counter sunk and glued into the panel so the panel doesn't stick out like it does with the additional thickness of Velcro.

da34guy likes this.
  14. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

VELCRO - Velvet and Crochet. Think about it...

15. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I use it on my shoes to walk on the ceiling...

LOST ANGEL, deucemac and Just Gary like this.
  16. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

3M Dual Lock is what I was referring to.

17. putz

putz
    from wisc.

tried on tonneau cover it failed ...

18. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

While dribbling a football I betcha

19. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Sure...why not?

20. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

The tonneau cover on my DD truck is fastened on the sides with a Velcro type system. Works great.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

LOST ANGEL likes this.
  21. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That 3M Dual Lock is some strong stuff! I used it on my guitar pedal board, and you can't hardly pull those pedals off the board without using a screwdriver or something to pry them apart. Good stuff!