Register now to get rid of these ads!

WTF? How does everyone else make MONEY selling S#!T?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Jun 20, 2006.

1. KIRK!

KIRK!

I have to vent a little here. My '47 just ended for the second time on ebay with NO BIDS! It could have been had for $16,500! There would be no way for the average guy to duplicate this car for less than $30k. It is a screaming deal. I see guys selling SHITTY, rat rod, coupe-turned-sort-of-roadster, rusted to shit deathtraps for $17k. WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?!?! I'm losing my ass at $16.5k and still NOTHING!

I know that part of my problem is that I am too honest in my descriptions. I have just been screwed before and refuse to do the same to someone else.

[​IMG]

The ad read...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...=4650485605&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEUS:IT&rd=1

Enlighten me. I feel like I'm fairly hot rod savvy but...

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Do you have lay away? If so, consider it sold... :)

3. KIRK!

KIRK!

Shit, who knows? I might.

4. PDX Lefty

PDX Lefty

ebay sucks. What more needs to be said. I see shit like that happen all the time.

5. 53burb

53burb

I think most are all on drugs! I would buy that in a heartbeat if I had that kinda cash. You are right, they don't know what ya got into it and what it took to get it like that. I would say alot need to be educated 1st! KNUX!

6. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

that sucks, its a damn shame because that is a pretty sweet little custom. somebody buy it.

7. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

If you look around ebay you'll see alot more "junk" outselling finished cars..Look at the rotted out Ford bodies selling for $1000's,,and chevy bodies of the same era with lil or no rust selling for $100's or not at all,,lol,,,( the late 20 early 30's bodies look so much alike I don't see the big deal ),,Maybe cause it's green?? The whole car thing is so out in left field at this point theers alotta things I see and say ,,WTF

8. borndead327

borndead327

kirk a little word of advice,
    start the bidding out really low start a bidding frenzy if people see that its being bid on it might be considered a "hot ticket" item ya dig?
    i never ever put buy it now options on mine just a reserve
    people start bidding to find out what the reserve is
    good luck
    dave

9. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

If I could afford it I'd buy it.

Have you tried using the word RAT ROD in your description? Seems to work for everyone else??

Craigslist?

10. Relay

Relay

put it up for 30k you'd probably get a bid on it ;)

11. borndead327

borndead327

lots and lots of run-on sentances

12. 53burb

53burb

Kirk. Whose 'ol knucklehead is that from the '04 show pics that I just looked at from Billetproof? That thing is mean and bad-ass! KNUX!

13. KIRK!

KIRK!

I tried that the first time around...no luck either.

14. KIRK!

KIRK!

Max Schaaf, pro-skateboarder/bike builder extraordinair

15. KIRK!

KIRK!

I did think about that. I think I'm going to pull up my big-boy pants and "finish" it. Then it's $40k.

16. 53burb

53burb

Thanx, KNUX!

17. probably the price...and it is a custom...meaning..you would have to do a lot of work to make it your own..you dig...the only customs that really bring that kind of dough have history...

just my 2 cents..

good luck with it..

tok

18. You should have drove you ass down to the roadster show.
    might have sold it there.

19. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

Put it on the cover of the Gazette. That way you can sell it as a magazine cover car. :)

20. KIRK!

KIRK!

You speak the truth!

21. Painterman

Painterman

Hey Kirk,
    I agree with the high price deal. I had the same problem with my 59 panel. It went 2 rounds on ebay without a bite, I bumped the price up ALOT and it sold. I think people see a nice car with a low price and think, "what's wrong with it, price is too low for such a nice car" You now what I mean?

22. KIRK!

KIRK!

Exactly the conversation I've had over the past couple of days.

23. mercury Bill

mercury Bill

I've just about given up on ebay..I was watching several 428 cj intakes selling for over 250.00 hell some were 350.00. Time to list mine....Shit 200.00 bucks talk about disapointment.. I think they have their buddies run the auction up or something. I'm just not about that...

Thats a nice car. That sucks no bids WTF

24. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

I totally disagree.

DROP the price on that bad boy boy about $15k and I'll buy it in a heartbeat :D

25. That's sucks, and good luck on it. But, don't believe all these slapped togeher rat-shitboxes really sell on ebay. I've seen them sell then go back on again with an excuse, then sell again, then 1 month later the same guy is selling it again, meanwhile he got feedback for the sale all 3 times. There's a lot of bid-jacking by friends and shill buyers-bidders who didn't really buy them at all, they just hope the fact that their buddy was the last bidder at 30K is enough to get a real buyer next week at something close to that by referring to the previous auction and claiming "something" happened, or he was a deadbeat. I don't know where you started it, but a lot of times it's tough to get that first cat to step in at 16.5 or whatever....but they'll sure as hell start at 5K and go up to 30, they figure there's safety in numbers....."look honey, there's 25 players & 40 bids all over this thing, it must be the shit!, lets go for it". I don't know really either, it's hard to figure, I know what you mean, I've had things worth 3 times the money not get a bid, then had a piece of crap Firebird air cleaner I was gonna throw in the garbage do $700.00. :rolleyes:

26. KIRK!

KIRK!

Is that an offer?

27. repoman

repoman

The pictures make the car look like a beater. borrow a friend who's a pro, and get some close wide-angle shots. And make sure they use something other than some sad shrubbery for a background. Green car shot on greenery won't get you into TRJ.

Why are your first detail pics shots of the crusty chrome and paint chip? Save it for last.

Pics are too small. I didn't bother opening them, even though I'm interested in the car. You need HUGE shots of the dash and engine bay, and one wheelwell, up front when the ad opens. Nobody has dial up anymore, and if they do, they don't have 20K for a hot rod.

Well, you asked, and that's my honest impression.

28. Painterman

Painterman

I know you've already heard this 1000 times but if I had the money I'd lay it down right now. I love that car. Damn, I need to play the lotto..............

29. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I know you would have sold it at the roadster show because I took a Stellings steering wheel from the late 40's that I paid very little for and a very cool guy there bought it for $1,200 without a flinch. I will trade you a 72 V8 vega and a big block 55 chevy gasser project?

30. KIRK!

KIRK!

Great observations.