Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1933 Ford Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steve Hurst, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Steve Hurst

Steve Hurst

Can someone help me out. I’m new to this 30s stuff. I have a 33 Ford truck and I am having trouble with the grille shell to hood fitment. To start, I am trying to put the truck back together after someone did a horrible cob job trying to channel it. So I have no reference as to where anything is actually located. I am trying to put it back close to factory body height. I have it where I think the cab is close but the grille shell is definitely wrong.

2. Steve Hurst

Steve Hurst

3. Screenshot_20190917-065335_Photos.jpg

... you're new ... how are you loading pictures ? What device do you have ? Computer/PC, cell phone ( what type ) ? ... and where are you located ? Your profile completed, would help other HAMB'r's near you ... offer help, if needed.

4. Steve Hurst

Steve Hurst

5. He got the picture thing sorted out.:).........I like yours better.:D

6. Steve Hurst

Steve Hurst

loudbang likes this.
  7. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

The radiator is what locates the grille shell. The radiator mounts are triangles if front of the cross member. There are small brackets attached to the radiator then to the grille shell.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Steve Hurst

Steve Hurst

9. Steve Hurst

Steve Hurst

I get that but the lines are wrong. And the angle of the top of the grille shell is all wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  10. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Wrong grill shell and top looks odd to me

11. If you are using a glass grille shell that's your problem, your going to need to do some pie cutting to make it fit. HRP

loudbang likes this.
  12. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

33 34 shells have a slant to the shell

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. Steve Hurst

Steve Hurst

If it’s the wrong grille shell, What is it for? And it is steel.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Steve Hurst

Steve Hurst

Updated my info, just to make you happy

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. Are you sure that you have the cab un-channeled and positioned correctly?

loudbang likes this.
  16. I had a 34 pickup that I channelled, and my grille was different from yours. I didn't run the side portions of the front cowling, so I can't say if I would have had the problem or not.
    As far as height of the top of the cowl, even after replacing it with a 32 shell from a car, I just lined the shell up to follow the original angle from the cowl. I didn't take any measurements, I just used the mark I eyeball to pick the height.

If I was going to run with the cowl and the fit looked like your picture, I would look at either trimming the top or the bottom to make the seam right. I would also look at adding metal at the open area to cut down on the size of the seam.
    I found that when I chopped and channelled my truck, things that looked like they would fit after cutting, required a lot of fitting.
    From my own personal experience chopping and channelling two trucks, I have the ultimate respect for the people that chop the tops on the late 40s coupes.
    Bob

loudbang likes this.
  17. Steve Hurst

Steve Hurst

I have the cab un-channeled and in what I believe is the correct position. It’s difficult to know if it’s perfect because the whole floor was missing. And the firewall is hacked to pieces. But from what reference I can fin it is very close.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why does it have that weird big moulded bump where the filler cap should be?

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  19. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Too many duplicate photos, but you will get the hang of it. Grille shell is not 33 truck. If I can remember I'll shoot some photos of a Hobby Members 33 truck tomorrow.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  20. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

05639FB4-1E63-4FBE-AECD-35067B1F16B2.png Maybe the hood has been trimmed or cab too far forward because it don’t look like mine

21. Any chance thats a 34 shell,and 33 hood.They look alike,but arent.

22. Steve Hurst

Steve Hurst

I can cut and add and make the gaps correct but I shouldn’t have too. If it’s the wrong shell I will
    Try and find the correct one.

cactus1 likes this.
  23. Steve Hurst

Steve Hurst

I don’t really know. From what I have read it’s a 33. But I’m not a expert by any means.

24. Steve Hurst

Steve Hurst

According to the information I have found the hood measures correctly in the center and on the sides.

25. Steve Hurst

Steve Hurst

Do you have a pic of the front of the shell?

26. Fordors

Fordors

The ‘33 grille did not have a stainless trim piece that surrounds the grille bars, so if yours is a ‘34 the holes for mounting the stainless would show that they have been filled. It looks like the top of your shell has been filled where the radiator cap would be and the top of the shell looks like it would accept the ‘34 shell ornament and radiator cap.
    With that said I expected the slant of the ‘33 and ‘34 hoods and grille shells to be the same and therefore interchangeable but those odd gaps have me scratching my head.

27. Can you post a photo of the back of the cab? HRP

28. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

A bit more of the front of the 34 with a 23 louvre hood and yours is 22 making it 33? and also no emblem. F9C09C39-7C4E-4BCA-AF77-346B78D77B82.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  29. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Note the rather severe angle (nose down) of the hood line. Does the front of your cab need to come up???
    On second thought....Down???
    Any way I do believe the angle of the hood is too severe.