Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ethanol ate my fuel pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Al Consoli, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

2. flatford39

flatford39

What car did that come out of???

loudbang likes this.
  3. It's rough on your carburetor also. HRP

loudbang and XXL__ like this.
  4. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

The car sat for over 6 years, with gas in the tank, before I decided to to redo it last year.

IMG_0147m1SW.jpg

5. Keep a dose of Sta-Bil in the tank. That works for me.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Bugguts

Bugguts

That gas had to be pretty nasty after sitting for over 6 years.
    I don’t use ethanol gas unless I don’t have a choice and I’m on the road and going to be burning it up right away.

loudbang and samurai mike like this.
  7. jim snow

jim snow

That stinks. I hope you didn’t you get stranded. Snowman

loudbang likes this.
  8. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

I was stranded about 3 miles from home. The fuel filter was completely blocked.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and jim snow like this.
  9. loudbang

loudbang

Could have been a worse day :rolleyes:

1of those days.jpg

10. squirrel

squirrel

Why do people keep posting that awful picture of me hanging by my balls? :)

Yeah, ethanol gas really should not be left sitting in anything for much time. If you drive the car regularly enough that the gas in the tank gets replaced a couple times a year, you probably won't have any issues (I haven't).

11. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Yea, 2x on Sta-Bil.

Mike

loudbang likes this.
  12. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I wounded what the inside of your carb bowls look like ? ethanol ,methanol, alcohol breaks down cheap rubber & eats / corrodes aluminum if not anodized .

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  13. So you're not planning to use that shot for your avatar then . . . ? :rolleyes:

14. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Great tip.

16. LAROKE

LAROKE

Be advised, Sta-Bil is only good for a year. It won't protect for the six that this car sat.

17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I run Sta-Bil in every fill up 1oz. I moved to the "Marine' Sta-Bil a year ago. I've not had a problem so far..

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  18. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I heard Sta-Bil didn't actually mix with the gas, it puts a thin film on the surface. Is that true?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

On another forum I think it was, somebody claimed they were a tanker truck driver that delivered chemicals to Sta-Bil. He wouldn't reveal exactly what it was, but said the main ingredient is a "food grade" preservative anyone would recognize.

There's more than one thing going on with gasoline going bad. One, is the "light ends" evaporating first in vintage fuel systems that vent to the atmosphere, then there's the water in the tank, and moisture being absorbed out of the air, as ethanol is hygroscopic. This leads to what's called phase separation. The fuel will also oxidize over time, that's what products like Sta-Bil are designed to combat. It basically spoils, high temperatures contribute to this. It will burn, but leaves a glue like residue on intake valve guides and can lead to a bad result on the next startup. Usually can tell by the exhaust smell, it's nasty.

Pull a sample from the bottom of the tank at take a look, cloudy or yellow, chunks of tar, smells like paint or varnish, not good.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  20. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have poured gas into a glass bowl and watched it. It separates into two clear liquids and some nasty looking brown stuff

loudbang likes this.
  21. Al Consoli

Al Consoli

Yes it does.

loudbang likes this.
  22. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Man , I’m sorry that is terrible . My old Cummins popped a .29 cent o ring in the hydraulic head of the pump , diesel fuel is not what it once was either . 2 days labor to fix it . I like StaBil myself , but to each his own . I’m not sure the additives cure the effects of Al K. Hall , moving into your gas . It sucks , it’s killing the dinosaurs we all love to tinker with .

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. Any of today gas if you let it set will turn to varnish. Corn gas does it a lot worse. I color my gas I use in my tractors and one cyl engines with two cycle oil. That way when I look at the settlement bowl I can see what is gas and what is water. I remove the ethanol from gas by pouring a pint of water in a clear glass gallon jug. then filling it up with colored gas and vigourisly shaking the bejabbers out of it. After it settles for a day. you can see the clear ethanol and water mix at the bottom. you can carefully pour the gas out and leave the clear at the bottom. I will add chemtool to gas. I add a quart of diesel to every tankfull of gas for use in engines without hard valve seats. Starting a long time setting engine on stale varnishey gas will often ruin fuel pumps and carbs and even cause stuck intake valves. Once over a decade ago I had a hayfield a couple of miles from my home. Every time I mowed and bailed that field and left one of my Farmall gas burner Tractors there overnite the gas would be stolen. So I rigged a old M to run on a lawn mower tank. Filled the main tank with 15 gallons of old stale varnish gas. and went there and mowed a couple of rounds late in the evening. removed the lawnmower tank and left And sure enough that gas was gone the next day. And a couple days later the folks who lived close by had their truck under a tree pulling the engine. They swapped engines and didn't empty and clean the gas tank and the replacement engine went bad. that truck never ran again. After that I only used a LP tractor to mow & bale that hayfield. and they would sneak over there and steal the battery and turn on the LP valves and let my fuel out. So I went to strapping a 100 pound bottle to the side and ran off of that. put a mag on the tractor and hand cranked it to start it. Had to take the 100 pound bottle off when I left. I eventually simply quit mowing that place. Its so overgrown now you couldn't even brush hogg it today. I really like LP for fuel it never goes bad and Ive never had to clean the carb on that LP tractor. and the engine stays clean inside and doesn't wear out.

williebill, Al Consoli and Graystoke like this.
  24. Ive seen folks burn farm off road diesel in their pickups. Its cheeper. However it has a dye in it. and its much weaker (less Cetane) and will clogg filters and doesn't get as good of fuel economy. I use road taxed diesel in my bulldozers. the New diesel is a dry fuel. its hard on older injection pumps. So I add automatic trans fluid to it for a lubricant.

Al Consoli and Graystoke like this.