Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Attic Anglia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Jun 5, 2012.

1. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

2. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

HEARTBREAK!

Last night my hoodlum Loose Screw buddies came over to help me prep this engine to go on the engine test stand. All I wanted to do was install the roller rocker arms, fill it with oil and prime the system with oil pressure. I noticed one of the roller arms looked cock-eyed when we screwed it on. Upon close examination I noticed one of the studs was bent about 1/16". You may be asking yourself why I was using pressed in studs in the first place. This was an intentional experiment to see if the use of roller rocker arms would eliminate the sideways rocking motion on the rocker arms and thus keep them tight in the head, in spite of the increased lift and ramp rate of this performance cam.

[THOUGHT EXPERIMENT: Pound a tent stake in the ground. Now try to remove it without inducing a rocking motion on the stake. Much harder than rocking it back and forth while pulling on it. Now try pounding a nail partway in a piece of wood. Again, if you don't rock the nail back and forth it is very difficult to remove the nail.]

Roller rockers eliminate the rocking action applied to the stud. Anyhow, I tried to remove the stud and ended up breaking the head casting. THE HEAD IS RUINED. I have to build another. All that time and money wasted - there went a couple of weeks of my life I'll not get back.

So now that I've had 12 hours to mourn the loss of my head I realize its just stuff. It is not like a real heartbreak - like a terminal illness or the loss of a loved one. So I'm off to search out another head. I think this was my last usable small chamber early 240 head. I may have to go with a less desirable 300 head. Live and learn. 303 motor 39.jpg

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    LAROKE and loudbang like this.
  3. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Greg,
    That's a shame! Just curious, did you jack it out with a stack of washers or rocker balls? If so, it was probably cracked before. Can you cut all the bosses down and use screw in studs, maybe with hardened washers underneath. I'd hate to give up on it having all that time and money invested.

loudbang likes this.
  4. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Yup, I put a sleeve over it and put a nut on it and pulled it, adding washers under the nut as necessary to maintain threads under the nut. I'm afraid the fact that the stud was bent must have introduced side loading on the cast boss and cracked it. Maybe it cracked when somebody bent it in its' previous life. Bummer

Well I got another head - this time a 300, not a 240 - with 76 cc's vs the 68 cc's of the old one. At least it should run on regular pump gas with the bigger combustion chambers. I will check all the studs for straightness and looseness prior to the long rebuild process. Since I have documented the other head build with pics I'll skip that unless there is something particularly salient about this head build, but I doubt it.

loudbang likes this.
  5. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

"The King is dead. Long live the King"

"...Meet the New Boss - same as the Old Boss..."

"One of these things is not like the other."

303 motor 40.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  6. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

LEGOHEADS!!!

There is one thing I could throw in here and I do this particularly if somebody else out there is planning a build-up of one of these sixes. If you are going to use a later model head that has holes in the roof of the exhaust ports to affix air injection for emissions control and you want to eliminate this "feature" you will have to plug up the holes. Ford sells special pipe plugs to do this but they are pricey - about $6 each if you can find them - so here is another solution. Little plugs I turned. They look like the heads from little LEGO people.
    Measure the hole size. This varies depending on the model year. Some had 1/4" holes. For those I just use 1/4" rod Locktited and driven in place. For the larger diameter holes like this later model one I decided to turn plugs. The holes in my head varied in size from .322" to .328" so I decided to turn each plug uniquely for a .001 interference fit on every hole. There is less than a quarter inch of engagement and the plugs needed a lip so I did not drive them in too deep. Here are some pics to explain. Enjoy.

303 motor 41.jpg 303 motor 42.jpg 303 motor 43.JPG 303 motor 44.JPG

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    brEad and loudbang like this.
  7. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I am selling my Miller Dialarc TIG welder. I posted an ad in the "Antiquated - For Sale" forum.

SOLD

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    loudbang likes this.
  8. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

updates on this project??

loudbang likes this.
  9. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Other life events like two deaths in the family and two houses to sell have kept me from doing anything recently. Plus its been cold lately.
    On a more cheerful front I did buy a Miller Dynasty 210 DX TIG welder which should make short work of the miles of weld bead I have to lay.
    I want to get the 303 engine on the test stand and break it in next. Then get back on welding a bucketful of parts I have finished on the chassis.

Plus my champ car project - it beckons me too.

TFoch, LAROKE, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

After selling my old Miller Dialarc I popped for a new state-of-the-art Miller Dynasty 210. It has all the whistles and bells I need to finish up this project. Plus it is the size of a suitcase vs the old one that was pert near the size of a refrigerator. welder 1.JPG .

loudbang likes this.
  11. chopped

chopped

Got a color to match the car in the background, cool.

loudbang likes this.
  12. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

That's my avatar altered. Plus the yellow wireless remote receiver matches my '33 coupe LOL.

Attached Files:

loudbang likes this.
  13. how in hell did I miss this thread,...........great build going!!!!

loudbang likes this.
  14. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Thanks roseville carl. I'll be headed your way to the Eagle Field drags in the fall, if they hold it this year.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Now wait a minute, where can I see more of that Willys? Pffft some guys always have the nicer toys...

loudbang likes this.
  16. Well it will be held if this virus shit is over with, its scheduled for Oct 3rd n 4th hope to see ya there.......

loudbang likes this.
  17. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Well FinnishFireball I've owned it since 1980 so before HAMB so there is no build thread on it. Its a real steel bodied street/stripper that's appeared at Woodward Cruises and various nostalgia events. Here's a few photos.

Attached Files:

18. you got too many toys........

loudbang likes this.
  19. Thnx Flyer thats awesome ride!

loudbang likes this.
  20. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

As the summer rolls along I may be losing my storage building for the Attic Anglia body and (original) chassis. It is three hours away now and it will come home if the current place in Ohio gets sold. To make room I may have to sell another hot rod - maybe my '46 truck regrettably. Trucks are hot right now. I do not want to have to park it outside.

enloe and loudbang like this.
  21. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

The Ohio home sold. I have to bring the AA body back home and marry it to the chassis I constructed. I've got a couple of months to retrieve it tho.
    Road trip!

loudbang likes this.
  22. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I need the single axle car trailer to go get my Anglia project. Off comes the champ car. I sized this trailer to just fit both the Anglia and sprinter. I am losing my out-of-state storage and need to retrieve it. Note the break away trailer fenders needed to unload the champ car.

sr_099.JPG

sr_098.JPG

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  23. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Loaded up and ready for the trip home. I had one incident on the way. The rear "axle assembly" was made from 1x2s and curtain rods. Parts of it broke on the journey home, necessitating I build a stronger temporary "axle" out of black pipe and conduit. Now I must make body improvements like a floor pan and rust repairs and marry it to the new chassis. trailer 04.JPG

Attached Files:

TFoch, LAROKE and loudbang like this.
  24. spanners

spanners

Boy, I've seen lightening for better E.T.s but that's going overboard.:D

loudbang likes this.
  25. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

The rest of the car parts went from the PO's attic to my barn attic until needed.

loudbang likes this.
  26. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

My son, SuperDave, visited us last week from CA. He wanted to put the 303 motor in his Anglia and race it last weekend at the end-of-our-season nostalgia drags. Highly ambitious. Instead, I convinced him to just getting the engine on the test stand and break it in. (I let him run my Willys coupe instead) I wanted to test the engine with my home built 3 x 1 intake manifold that is to go in the Attic Anglia. It is made from three stock 1V manifolds using the center two runners. But alas, the rebuild kits for the carburetors did not arrive in time to assemble the whole ky-bosch.

So...

tri power 01.JPG

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    TFoch, enloe and loudbang like this.
  27. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

...Instead, we just slapped a single barrel intake on it and fired it up that way. Worked.
    Videos to follow. 303 motor 46.JPG 303 motor 47.JPG

TFoch, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  28. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I added some more details to the AA 3 x 1 intake manifold - throttle linkages and fuel lines. I will paint the intake and install it on SuperDave's 303 engine on the test stand and post a video of it running. The carbs are rebuilt.
    BTW, I simulated the gold finish on the carbs with VHT Metal Tint #288 in an aerosol can. int3x109.JPG int3x110.JPG int3x111.JPG

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    TFoch, enloe, LAROKE and 1 other person like this.
  29. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I made some more pieces to the 3 x 1 - Air filter adapter for the K&N element; Carb spacer; and a throttle bell crank lever for the gas pedal. I put several holes in so I can adjust the gas pedal / throttle plate ratio.

I made the K&N adapter from a piece of hardwood. I need three. Not sure if I should make them from aluminum or two more of wood.

I wish I had a 3-D printer. int3x112.JPG int3x113.JPG int3x114.JPG int3x115.JPG

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    brEad, TFoch, motoklas and 3 others like this.
  30. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

No I don't...
    That would be boring...

-Brent- and loudbang like this.