Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fuel Pump with Hurst mount

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pewsplace, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I am not a fan of the electric fuel pumps on early Fords using the Hurst mount with a SBC. The attached photo shows the use of a stock pump with the Hurst mount. Does anyone have a better photo showing where you need to cut the mount or space it out? I would appreciate any comments as I don't want to add the side motor mounts if I don't have to.
    The car is a 1934 Ford Phaeton with a stock crossmember.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. i have used spacers in the past to gain the needed clearance for using stock fuel pump.

Tim likes this.
  3. titus

titus

in the pic it looks like the motor mount puck is slid forward more to clear.

i helped build a freinds car and we used the jeep or trans dapt type motor mounts and then used a early 60s gm vette fuel pump that is clockable and turned it the corrrect direction, it worked out good.

ill see if i have any pics

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

There is an aftermarket pump that comes straight out, and does'nt have a large diaphragm (that's what takes all the room). I don't remeber the name, but they are somewhat costly. Those would clear everything, but would not look traditional however. Butch/56sedandelivery.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not traditional:

[​IMG]

6. wayne-o

wayne-o

I used a 1/4" spacer between the mount and the motor and then bent the mount so the rubber mounts were further forward to clear the pump. Used a pump with an indexable bottom. I made the mount, not an aftermaket one but I would imagine you could bend any of them. Another plus I was able to tie the mount on the frame to the crossmember for more strength.

Attached Files:

7. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Thanks for all the help and photos. I will try it tomorrow and post my results.

8. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

I use a Holley pump on my 36 and it clears the hurst mount ,think the # is 1218,you can clock the inlet outlet. Chris

9. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The original Hurst plates came with a flat bar spacer that as I recall was about 3/8" thick. I've seen the plates installed with and without the spacers.

10. The spacers for small block are 5/16 on an original and they are like a thick washer, we used to notch the mount to clear a stock pump but since I have discovered that some after market pumps can be used (smaller diameter) and many like the carter high performance pump the borrom camn be clocked for fitting clearance.

11. chubbie

chubbie

I have a hurst mount around here somewhere with a big hole cut in it to clear the fuel pump!

Gasser 57 likes this.
  12. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

These are the original spacers that came with this Hurst mount.

Attached Files:

• HAMB.jpg
      HAMB.jpg
      File size:
      25.3 KB
      Views:

13. Well I am not up on pics today but I have an orioginal in the box with the instructions and it has 5/16 thick washers. Maybe I will dig it out later. Not trying to be arguementative here.

14. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

I sold one (here) years ago that had washers like you mentioned. The only difference was it was drilled for big blocks too.

15. Mine is small block and W motor. I don't recall who I got it from but it was chweap and I was plesently surprised when it came with the original box and instructions, the extra hardware was still in the little bag, and the paint wasn't even scratched.

it came from your part of the country as I recall.

16. NoRust

NoRust

From Speedway Motors, Part # 91602046, (new) fuel pump can be disassembled to index the inlet/outlet area. Plus the rated output PSI is 6. Edelbrock carbs need 6 PSI, while Holley carbs need 7 PSI. I have seen this fuel pump to work correctly with either of these 4 barrel carbs, thus without the need to install a fuel pressure regulator. I am utilizing a Hurst front mount also. I have spot welded those factory spacer in the correct location, so that I would not loose them during car build.

17. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

I just bought a kit from Speedway plus a wider strip of 3/16”steel strap, just bent the vertical plate just outside of the mount holes and welded on a wider strap. Added a gusset made from the old lower strap and there it was! Any question contact me!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    teach'm and Pewsplace like this.
  18. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Thanks, I did a similar change on the mount but I like your idea better.

Splitbudaba likes this.
  19. JohnnyCASHcadillac

JohnnyCASHcadillac
    from SO CAL-

20. Lost in the Fifties

Lost in the Fifties

Post #15 says it will.

21. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

22. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Why not build mounts that go forward to the stock '34 motor mount pad location on the front crossmember. Plus you don't have to put mounts on the frame for the Hurst mount . Two problems solved !

23. Great tip.
    Like using stock 32 mounts on a SBC to a 32 crossmember.