Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC Fuel Pump Differences

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Oct 5, 2009.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Is there any difference in the fuel pumps from 55-88? Would an early Chevy fuel pump work on a late 70's Small Block Chevy 350? It seems that their are a lot of ugly looking mechanical fuel pumps now to choose from and I wanted something that looked a bit more factory. Classic Chevy has these which state they are for a 55-57 Chevy with out the AC logo on them...

http://www.classicchevy.com/product.asp?pf_id=29-37&dept_id=1277

Would it be counterproductive as far as fuel pressure or rates go? Or would they be fine for a stock engine type application?

Thanks!!!

If there's a another route to take perhaps one from NAPA or something that looks like this and is cheaper my ears are open.

2. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Should work. Just make sure that the inlet/outlet are on the correct side for you. I know that there was at least one older model (283 I think) that had inlet toward rear and outlet toward front, because I used to have one. But the geniuses at the nameless parts store have not been able to figure it out. I couldn't wait, so I had to plumb my 37 backwards to make it work.

Rather than notching the crossmember, though, I'd go with an electric pump.

The CM is notched in my 37 and when I rebuild front suspension this winter, I'm going to swap to an elec. pump and put a full CM back in.

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

The main diff is the thread size and location of the inlet/outlet ports. The mounting side is all the same. For normal stock engines all will work. As I recall some of the later HP engines had a bit higher flow rate.

4. NoRust

NoRust

From Speedway Motors, Part # 91602046, (new) fuel pump can be disassembled to index the inlet/outlet area. Plus the rated output PSI is 6. Edelbrock carbs need 6 PSI, while Holley carbs need 7 PSI. I have seen this fuel pump to work correctly with either of these 4 barrel carbs, thus without the need to install a fuel pressure regulator.

5. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Straight 6 chevy sb bb block all will work ,
    Lt1 302 Sb
    Hi po bb will have more Fuel Volume , some have different size inlet & out lit , not all year Clocked the same . Use a name brand GOOD Quality fuel pump , ones that are sitting on the shelf Autozone Napa etc. diaphragms are dry rotted cheap rubber sitting on shelf to long .

Just Gary likes this.