Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1939 Ford Flathead Value?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by meshach, Sep 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. i have been offered a flathead out of a 39 Ford, it is complete front drive and all. It’s in good condition, one head has been pulled and the cylinders look good as well. Just wondering what the value of such a motor is?

2. flatford39

flatford39

Until it's checked for cracks about $50.00 to $100.00. Crack free is $350.00 to $400.00

Flathead Dave and meshach like this.
  3. Wow those are really good prices I guess I need to keep looking

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn't run with those prices. I sold my second to last good 8BA block a couple of years ago for $800. I gave the guy a break because he had gone through 5 engines looking for a good one with no luck. I don't think that amount would buy it today.. It certainly wouldn't buy my last good 8BA block. I know these are 8BA's I am talking about, but up here the earlier engines are much harder to find and therefore more expensive.

Let's face it; the value in a run of the mill flathead these days is all in the block. Everything else is easy to come by. In my opinion, a good engine with an un-cracked block will always be north of $1000. There can be some give and take with money-back guarantees, etc. but I believe that's what they are worth. An engine with a cracked block? Unless it's something special (e.g. a 'complete '32 engine), I wouldn't take one for free. I have enough good cranks, rods, etc. to last me several lifetimes.

Bottom line? Try to come to some agreement about pricing if it passes the relevant tests.

GreenMonster48, meshach and Crocodile like this.

5. Fair enough, the last Flathead I had was in my 53 and when I was my suspension done (wild hair to stick a Windsor in it) someone offered me 2500 for it and the trans so I took it not knowing I would be buying a 34 in the future. At the same time I don’t really know if I want flathead in 34 I would just prefer a Ford in it.

6. A flathead is a FORD.

meshach likes this.
  7. Lol yes I know that and it’s why I mentioned it as an option I’m saying I haven’t decided on that or another ford y-block, FE, etc. .

8. Unless its a Caddy, Pontiac or any other L head engine

GreenMonster48 and Texas Webb like this.