Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Bumper guards or leave as is?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rob-redm, Sep 15, 2019.

?
  1. Do it!

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. Don't do it !

16 vote(s)
    69.6%
  1. So I was looking at some my vintage little pages... Kind of like that the early Kustoms retained the bumper guards and accessory grille guards. What do you think? Place a vote ....Just can't make up my mind..lol IMG_20190907_084007_230.jpg

Surfcityrocker, Deuces, BigO and 2 others like this.
  2. I like the un-cluttered clean lines without.
    When I replaced my bumpers on my '40, I didn't put the bumper guards back on.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. I personally like the KISS method of build hot rods & customs. HRP

4. It's personal choice really... For me, it depends on how 'plain' the bumper alone looks. Some look better with something to break up the plainness.

Deuces and olscrounger like this.

5. no bumpers

6. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I kind of like the wing tips.

Attached Files:

7. The smoove looks are more appealing to me.
    No guards.

8. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I like them both ways but that's just me. If you get tired of them one way you can change it up..

9. you don't say ! words of wisdom.. lol

10. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

kind of like it the way it is...…………..NO Guards

11. slowmotion

slowmotion

Keep it clean...

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love the clean no guard look that goes with the rest of the Keep it simple and clean look of the whole car but guards or grill guards do have their purpose. This one has a bit more going on and the guards are a better fit in the whole presentation. 1936 Ford redwheels.JPG

olscrounger and BigO like this.
  13. The problem is, if you put them on for say 6 months, then you're stuck because they tend to leave marks on the bumper creased into the chrome. Either leave them off for a clean look or put 'em on and leave 'em on.:)

Deuces, hrm2k, 40FORDPU and 2 others like this.
  14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My beloved '36 Five window:
    The previous owner showed me the car with a newly chromed 'smooth' bumper.
    A week later, I went to pay for the car, and pick it up. It was fitted with some N.O.S. guards, smallish, but I preferred the 'clean bumper'.
    Removed the blasted guards, and they had left DEEP scratches. (Bolts were tighter than Dick's hatband!)
    Had to get the bumper rechromed, by Mom's new boyfriend. Thanks, Abe...R.I.P.

15. If you don't put the guards on, you won't be able to push your friends cars when their battery goes dead.

vtx1800, hrm2k and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. you know , that's correct ..Good advise.. Thank you...lol

Deuces, hrm2k and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Smooth I think.

18. I'm thinking should leave it as is...These are either replated or repops bumpers...Scratching them would be bummer after installing the guards...Then removing them at a later date...As was stated will go with KISS method..Thanks for all the input...Feel free to keep commenting on the thread...I really appreciate everyone's replies...Thank you

19. You should keep an eye out, for maybe ... an EXTRA set. Every '36 coupe owner should have a pair, of front & rear bumpers.

Sincerely,
    Jack Calori

Screenshot_20190916-133348_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20190916-133411_Google.jpg

Deuces, i.rant, Squablow and 2 others like this.
  20. Squablow

Squablow

The Lyon caps and tires on that car really give the car a vibe of the period where bumper guards would have been used. Others may prefer the smoothie look, but I feel like the truly historically accurate thing would be to run guards. Look at the Calori car above, and imagine it without those guards. To me, it would be missing something.

It's not like it's a bad look without, but if I got to choose, I would run something.

olscrounger and K13 like this.
  21. The blackwalls and caps date the build to a time where bumper guards were left on customs. Unless the bumpers were changed for Desoto ribbed bumpers you would be pretty hard pressed to find pictures of customs with Blackwall tires and smoothed bumpers. IMO the smooth bumpers don't look right on this car.

Squablow likes this.
  22. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Less is more!
    Who needs more clutter on a beautiful frontend?
    KK

23. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I went without bumpers for 15 yrs.
    wanted a change and shortened the bumper bkts 2” bringing the bumper closer to the body and left the bumper guards off.

[​IMG]

But I prefer guards on the back.

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 and olscrounger like this.
  24. I'd leave it smooth since it's not the 36 bumper. If was 36 I'd do the guards.

olscrounger likes this.
  25. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Looks great,another trick is flip them over and your car looks lower instantly.

Petejoe likes this.
  26. Lepus

Lepus

Could you cut some aluminum sheet ( like roof flashing) to go between the bumper and guard, but not show, unless you are inches away from it. It should protect the bumper chrome from scratches. I like some guards, as long as they're not too big.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  27. slowmotion

slowmotion

Good idea, some kind of 'gasket' could be made, if ya gotta run 'em. Keeping the chrome from getting marked. Bicycle inner tube, 3M tape......? Trimmed to be hidden of course.

28. Just put one guard on until you make up your mind. :p

I've been looking at the photos and stewing it over in my mind. So.......... I'm not voting because I like it both ways.

29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

NO!!! Not just one guard!!! Next thing he'll be running ONE fog lamp!:eek:

The Shift Wizard likes this.
  30. You could always attach a 2' x 3' piece of plywood and say it's the push point for your FED...